• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle Caterers

I'm planning a reception to be held on a weeknight and am at a loss regarding what catering companies (or restaurants that will do off-site catering) to call. A eG search didn't turn up any previous threads.

I expect the menu to consist of heavy h'ors d'oeuvres and a hosted bar. Any suggestions? Thanks!

If you really want something "Very Special" then I suggest that you simply send a "PM" on eGullet to our Chef Abra, who was kind enough to do her Bio this week on this site.

Just scroll on the Pacific Northwest sites recent postings and you see "Abra'" Bio with pictures that will be so delicious that you will thank us for the recommendation.

Abra isn't just a caterer she's a "Personal Chef" with a excellent reputation, who has hosted and joined fellow eGulleters on several occasions.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Irwin, but actually I'm "just" a personal chef, meaning that I do all my cooking onsite at the client's home, or their venue with a kitchen. I don't have a commercial kitchen from which to deliver food, as a true caterer does.

I'll put a plug in for Ravishing Radish. I've food from lots of different caterers and I think theirs is the most consistently good...

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

In any catering emergency, I always think of Lisa Dupar. She's on both sides of the lake now with her new facility on Denny.. it's called Julep (used to be The Fairview, right?) ... I've heard the facility is gorgeous, with huge rooms and small rooms for gatherings/events. She also does catering offsite too. She's also got a facility in Redmond and, if I'm not mistaken, she's about to open a restaurant at her new Redmond facility? (a post for Farewell and Welcome... to come later)

Her web site, I think, is just www.lisadupar.com or www.lisaduparcatering.com (I'm too frustrated w/my slow connection at home to check it out for you.. sorry).

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

... it's called Julep (used to be The Fairview, right?) ... I've heard the facility is gorgeous, with huge rooms and small rooms for gatherings/events.

I hope this means that the inside has been re-done. In it's Fairview incarnation I thought it was a generic banquet space and, with all the windows covered up, always had this kind of soul-destroying effect on me.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

... it's called Julep (used to be The Fairview, right?) ... I've heard the facility is gorgeous, with huge rooms and small rooms for gatherings/events.

I hope this means that the inside has been re-done. In it's Fairview incarnation I thought it was a generic banquet space and, with all the windows covered up, always had this kind of soul-destroying effect on me.

It's formal / playful. You can see outside.

The restrooms are a trip.