• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moose's Restaurant

clementine

I'm sorry no one answered you earlier, Clementine.

And welcome to eGullet!

I am guessing from your response that not many folks get around to Moose's very often. I ate there a very long time ago and have fond memories of the restaurant although I don't remember any specifics. Looks as though it would be time to return!

Moose's is definitely worth a trip... especially if you are visiting. It's a classic that showcases what's left of Herb Caen's San Francisco.

I went a few weeks ago and had a delightful meal, but the food is only part of the reason for going. The ambience and location are the epitome of San Francisco casual haute dining.

Wow. Sorry I missed this, too. Moose's has been a solid neighborhood restaurant for years, although it has been a while since I've been there too.

Moose's has been going through a lot of changes, and its future at the moment is uncertain. Ed Moose had been trying to sell the place, but the deal fell through and he hired Joanna Karlinsky (of the much-missed Meetinghouse in the space Quince now occupies) as General Manager. Rumor has it Karlinsky may be trying to buy the place.

Plus there is a relatively new Executive Chef, Morgen Jacobson, who replaces Jeffrey Amber.

That said, the few times I have eaten there, I've had a good time and a good meal, and the atmosphere is quite charming.

Hope that helps some,

Squeat

Edit to make clear that I have NOT been since Karlinsky and Jacobson came on board.

Edited by Squeat Mungry (log)

I've only had drinks at Moose's, although I used to visit the WashBAG when Moose owned it. The location is great. I'm usually only in SF for a long weekend these days, and there are so many other choices. I say go for a drink, and check out other places in the area.

I had a mediocre lunch there a couple of years ago -- that's my only experience. The food could have been pretty good, but I think it sat around for a while before being delivered to the table -- the fries were cold, for example.

Gotta love a place that doesn't allow cell phones, though.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think we're definitely going to hit Moose's while we're in San Francisco. It's awfully convenient, given that we're staying on Stockton already, and it sounds like a fun and good place to eat. Anyone know whether reservations are needed or suggested?

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I think we're definitely going to hit Moose's while we're in San Francisco.  It's awfully convenient, given that we're staying on Stockton already, and it sounds like a fun and good place to eat.  Anyone know whether reservations are needed or suggested?

Clementine, even though I think there'd be a chance to walk in on a weeknight, if you've definitely decided to go I'd go ahead and make a reservation, especially if it's a weekend. Have fun and be sure to report back!

Squeat