• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[SEA] Where to eat near Barca?

I'm planning a casual birthday gathering for this Saturday evening and we will end up at the Vodka bar at Barca on Capitol Hill. We are looking for a not-too-expensive, good-for-groups restaurant in the neighborhood so that people will only have to worry about finding parking once.

Any favorites, suggestions? I plan to drive up there tonight with a friend to look around, but I'm really having a total brain-blank on what's in the 'hood, restaurant-wise.

Depends on what type of food your looking for. Lark is in the area, but too small for a larger gathering (although if you called ahead, they might make arrangements). Coastal Kitchen is in walking distance, and a little larger.

The restaurants on Pine are closer (captial club, Green Papya, 611), but each is dependant on how many people you want to bring.

I guess what I'm saying is...More details please!

Elysian (as mentioned) might be your best bet. Close and the food is not horrible.

-Kate

-----------

My food blog:

Accidental Hedonist - Food, travel and other irrelevent irreverence

Wow, thanks for the quick replies. :smile:

I know I've been vague, as I don't have many firm RSVP's yet. People have said they're coming, but I am waiting on calls/emails from most of the list.

I'm guessing dinner will be about 10-15 people. Most are graduate students or young professionals, so anything over $20/plate is probably out. Sadly, student loans don't always allow for extra fine dining!

I love ya, Laurel, but I have to disagree about the horribleness of The Elysian's food.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Ballet on Pike is a good Vietnamese place. I love their salad rolls. It has that very utilitarian, cheap Asian food place look. But, it's clean and and the price is right! Should definitely be able to handle a large group.

There are also a bunch of restaurants in the Pike/Pine neighborhood.

La Spiga is in building where the QFC is. That's a great Italian place.

That's all I can think of right now.

--braincell