• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A good week

Florida Jim

1997 Trimbach, Riesling Cuvee Frederic Emile (375):

Singing. Beautifully scented in a soft tropical way; brighter on the palate but still good depth and a viscous texture, concentrated, intense and balanced; long finish. Charming wine that undoubtedly will last and develop in the cellar but is delicious now.

1996 Chateau Montelena, Cabernet Sauvignon (375):

Smells like cabernet (not wood), tastes like cabernet (not manipulated), is well balanced and concentrated. But there is nothing distinctive here. My last bottle and I’m not sorry to see it go.

2000 Hamacher, Pinot Noir:

Opened by mistake (I thought I had grabbed the 1998); closed, clean, slightly out of balance but not in an unfriendly way. Needs several years.

2001 Giacosa, Nebbiolo d’Alba, Valmaggiore:

All stones, chalk and red fruit on the nose, complex and captivating; medium weight on the palate with good acidity and flavors that follow the nose with some complexity, excellent balance; medium finish. Also needs several years but showed pretty well nonetheless.

1993 Vincent Arroyo, Petite Sirah Res.:

Big wine; worsted texture; long somewhat drying finish. Eleven years old and it tastes exactly the same as it did on release. For some, that may be desirable; not for me. This may be a good example of the variety but it is fast becoming a variety I have no use for.

Aside: My daughter was in town this past week to spend her 31st birthday with us. I can not think of a single person I am more comfortable with. In the same matter of fact way that I can not jump over a house, she can not impose upon me; no matter how often or how long she stays.

The parting though . . . that’s another matter entire. Even so, a good week.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com