• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tempest63

Tempest63

On 10/28/2023 at 4:41 AM, MetsFan5 said:

This sounds more like a family issue, not like a country or even worldwide issue. Convenience “foods” of course become more popular depending on the market, the times, the rations, I could go on and on. 

But I hardly think it’s isolated to just one country. 

The point I was trying to make, in a slightly humorous way (apologies if if didn’t come across that way), is that the advent of convenience food and large frozen food stores meant a quick alternative to proper cooking. Busy mums, and some that were not so busy,  found that instead of cooking a traditional meal they had something frozen, pre prepared, that they could slam in the oven and feed the kids. The Findus products I mentioned were an example of such food, high in fats and salt, that were inflicted upon a generation. Having been raised on real food, these convenient alternatives never sat well with me. I absolutely refused to put this type of food in front of my kids when they were growing up and as such my weekends were spent batch cooking good fresh ingredients for my busy wife to serve to the kids as an evening meal.

I enjoyed cooking back then as I do now, so it was no chore to sit down with four young kids on a Saturday morning and let them help put the weekly menu together which I would then prepare for them to eat during the week. That has now carried over to the next generation and my grandchildren now help choose what to eat during the week.

Tempest63

Tempest63

On 10/28/2023 at 4:41 AM, MetsFan5 said:

This sounds more like a family issue, not like a country or even worldwide issue. Convenience “foods” of course become more popular depending on the market, the times, the rations, I could go on and on. 

But I hardly think it’s isolated to just one country. 

The point I was trying to make, in a slightly humorous way (apologies if if didn’t come across that way), is that the advent of convenience food and large frozen food stores meant a quick alternative to proper cooking. Busy mums found that instead of cooking a traditional meal they had something frozen, pre prepared, that they could slam in the oven and feed the kids. The Findus products I mentioned were an example of such food, high in fats and salt, that were inflicted upon a generation. Having been raised on real food, these convenient alternatives never sat well with me. I absolutely refused to put this type of food in front of my kids when they were growing up and as such my weekends were spent batch cooking good fresh ingredients for my busy wife to serve to the kids as an evening meal.

I enjoyed cooking back then as I do now, so it was no chore to sit down with four young kids on a Saturday morning and let them help put the weekly menu together which I would then prepare for them to eat during the week. That has now carried over to the next generation and my grandchildren now help choose what to eat during the week.