• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner with friends

Florida Jim

With wild, smoked salmon spread and pecan crackers:

1999 Salomon, Riesling Kogl Reserve:

As always, a rounder, softer version of Austrian Riesling although lacking a bit of the complexity and integration of the better versions. Good with the dish.

With mache, roasted beets and ricotta salada salad:

2000 Donnhoff, Riesling Spatlese, Niederhauser Hermannsholhle:

Fabulous wine with powerful aromatics of riesling fruit and sheared rocks; focused and crystalline; viscous on the palate and the flavors are deep but the acidity here is cleansing and crisp, intense, concentrated and great persistence. Killer with the dish.

If the Nahe can be done better I have yet to try it. Extraordinary wine with a long future.

With roasted pork loin, lentil salad and sugar snap peas:

2001 Gilles Robin, Crozes-Hermitage, Cuvee Alberic Bouvet:

Continuing in the tradition established by the 1999, this is an excellent, authentic example of syrah done in the northern Rhone style; honest, pure, distinct and complex; delicious and interesting. Perfect with the dish. Thanks John.

With toast and Epoisses:

1995 Ridge, Geyserville:

Fruit forward Amarone, or at least, that’s the impression; nothing here says zinfandel but everything says yummy; superb with the cheese.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Where in Florida do you buy your wine. Do you "pair" it yourself - or does someone in the store help you. Robyn (northeast Florida)

Robyn,

Actually, Diane (my wife) and I do the pairing. She is an excellent chef with a very acute palate and I know our inventory - it is a joint effort almost every time.

(Although, Craig's "guru" label gives me an idea for a toga party . . .)

As for buying wine, I assume you have a Wine Warehouse somewhere near you. They seem to have good prices and a diverse selection. As a chain, they really do a very good job.

I also have wine shipped to me as I live 6 months of the year in NC where shipping is legal.

And then there are few other sources that I come upon from time to time.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Where in Florida do you buy your wine.  Do you "pair" it yourself - or does someone in the store help you.  Robyn (northeast Florida)

Robyn,

Actually, Diane (my wife) and I do the pairing. She is an excellent chef with a very acute palate and I know our inventory - it is a joint effort almost every time.

(Although, Craig's "guru" label gives me an idea for a toga party . . .)

As for buying wine, I assume you have a Wine Warehouse somewhere near you. They seem to have good prices and a diverse selection. As a chain, they really do a very good job.

I also have wine shipped to me as I live 6 months of the year in NC where shipping is legal.

Best, Jim

toga, toga, toga, toga...

Best, Jim

We do have a Wine Warehouse in Jacksonville Beach. I wasn't aware that it was part of a chain until you mentioned it (the old location before it moved last month looked too grungy to be a chain :smile: ).

It's legal to have wines shipped into Florida. But you have to pay the local liquor mafia about $7/bottle to import it. Really makes me mad - and I won't pay the ransom.

I seem to recall that the Supreme Court of the US agreed to hear "the wine case" next term. I hope the Court strikes down all of these silly state laws. Robyn