• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemon tartufo

Mrs. P

After having tried this amazing desert in one restaurant, I have searched for a recipe. :wub: Given the fact that I was recently given a lovely ice cream maker, plus I have a dozen peeled lemons from a recently-started limoncello, I am dying for a recipe for lemon tartufo. I have a good lemon gelato recipe, but what is used for the center of the tartufo that allows it to stay liquid during the freezing process? I am guessing there is some alcohol, but in my experience the center is thicker than a liquor. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

This sounds so good; I hope someone has a good answer for this.

Loving lemon and gelato, I googled a little bit and came up with this description:

"Round ball of fresh lemon gelato with a limonelle cream center, covered with meringue sprinkles"

Is this something like what you had?

I wonder if you could make a fillilng based on semifreddi-- most of the recipes I have for these basically follow this formula: Make a custard or zabaglione type mix using egg yolks and oool. Then fold in whipped egg whites and whipped cream. One could freeze this and then scoop out balls to surrond w/lemon gelato.

To incorporate the lemon flavor could use limonocello to flavor the custard/zabaglione. Could also add grated lemon zest at some point...

I need to taste or make this sometime! :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

To the best of my knowledge tartufo is a semi frozen dessert. The liquid center you encountered was something that that particular pastry chef created in their personal version of lemon tartufo. Finding a recipe for exactly what you ate........might be impossible, unless that chef has shared it.

Where did you taste this and do you recall the pastry chefs name? Perhaps someone here will be familar with this and help you find that chefs recipe.

Yeah - I already checked with the restaurant in the DC area. They purchase them from a supplier in Italy. Good point, though, that they could have differnt consistencies from place to place. I would be up for experimenting with variations on different centers, maybe making a big batch of gelato and tring different types of centers - from straight limoncello to more of a custardy zabaglione-type center, as Ludja suggests.

The standard chocolate tartufo I have come across is either a ball of chocolate gelato with a cherry in the center, or with a chocolate ganache-type center.

Here's a photo I found on the web for what this looks like:

Pic of tartufo

good luck with this one....I think the reason why folks buy these premade is because they are extremely time-consuming and require either skill or machinery to get right....I'm not downplaying your skill or your drive, but it looks like a formidable task. You'll have to post your results.

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo