• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stevlin Hits Burgundy

Craig Camp

Alex Gambal, shipper of some outstanding terroir driven Burgundy estates, has taken the dramtic step of putting out some fine Burgundy wines with Stevlin closures.

Is Stevlin catching on? It seems each week there is a new convert. However this time it is small production wines and they're from Burgundy. There seem to be a trend starting here...or maybe it's just a fashion?

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 8:27 AM

Subject: Press Release: Gambal Bottles 2003 Chardonnay and Pinot Noir in stevlin

13/7/2004

Dear Friends,

I am pleased to tell you that today we bottled out first wines in Stevlin (twist off) closures. Our importer in the UK, Mayfair cellars alex@mayfaircellars.co.uk ordered 1/2 of our total 2003 Chardonnay production and 1/4 of our 2003 Pinot Noir Production in Stevlin.

Over the last several years we have conducted various experiments with plastic "corks", and have spent more and more money on natural corks and the analysis and control of them. We have however, continue to be frustrated by our inability to guarantee a perfect seal and thus a less than perfect experience with our wines. Finally, after many long and interesting conversations with our clients and suppliers we have decided to begin using Stevlin.

This is the first time that a wine from the Cote D'Or has been bottled commercially with Stevlin. The interest in the closure, the technology, and the mechanical adaptations necessary to seal the bottles has advanced many fold (in our region) in just the last 12 months so that we felt comfortable moving forward.

We hope to bottle some of our Village, 1er Cru and Grand Cru wines with Stevlin to see how they develop. If one follows the logic of protecting ones most rare wines, our Crus are the wines that should be bottled in Stevlin. I will keep you current with the results of this effort. I trust that the market will accept this closure in what I believe will greatly enhance the long term quality of our wines and your experience of them.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you should have any questions.

Best Regards,

Alex Gambal