• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Spectator Award

Craig Camp

Don't people have to "pay" to own a Wine Spectator "award"? Restaurateurs can pay a fee to have their establishments listed as being "cited" for their "award-winning" wine lists.

Perhaps Mr. Terlato has reached some monumental plateau in terms of advertising dollars in Mr. Shanken's various publications and now has "earned" himself a citation????

I am not sure that charging ridiculous sums of money for modest wines should earn one plaudits.

The word "Paterno" is Italian for "laughing all the way to the bank," while "Terlato" is the Italian name for P.T. Barnum.

Don't people have to "pay" to own a Wine Spectator "award"? Restaurateurs can pay a fee to have their establishments listed as being "cited" for their "award-winning" wine lists.

While it is true that restaurants have to submit a "processing fee" to enter the Restaurant Awards ($200), but I don't think this award is fee-related.

The word "Paterno" is Italian for "laughing all the way to the bank," while "Terlato" is the Italian name for P.T. Barnum.

:laugh:

Now, now. Be nice. If drinking the Paterno has gotten some timid consumers to take off their training wheels, toss aside their Beringer White Zinfandel and drink some "real" wine then it's a very good thing.

You gotta start somewhere. For the American culture and palate, which does not serve wine with dinner every evening, wine is definitely an acquired taste. I don't know anyone that "trained" on Château Beychevelle. And if I did I'd have to marry him! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Now, now. Be nice. If drinking the Paterno has gotten some timid consumers to take off their training wheels, toss aside their Beringer White Zinfandel and drink some "real" wine then it's a very good thing.

I appreciate this sentiment, of course, but I don't see the point in honoring someone whose pricing structure is so unfriendly towards consumers.

Wines imported by Paterno (Chapoutier, Gaja, Santa Margherita, Josmeyer, etc.) are sold at sky-high prices. Santa Margherita's Pinot Grigio is routinely a "buon mercato" in Italy, retailing for about six Euros. It's the same price as Santa Margherita's Cabernet and Chardonnay, which retail here for $10 in the US. That it takes $20 (or more) in the US to buy a bottle of standard quality, ten-buck Pinot Grigio is not going to encourage people to drink wine.

But I am all for people taking off their training wheels!

<<I don't know anyone that "trained" on Château Beychevelle. And if I did I'd have to marry him!>>

Katie, I was lucky enough to train on Beychevelle due to a family conncetion many years ago. Sadly for you and happily for me I am married to a wonderful woman who loves wine.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover