• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

curd rice

helenjp

I've just discovered this stuff. So wonderful on hot, hot days.

I found a recipe that involved stirring some yogurt into cooked rice, tipping a little bit of spices (mustard seed, chili) cooked in oil, and scattering green herbs (chili, coriander) on top.

Any other ideas? Dishes that go well with curd rice?

Depending on my mood I might add one or all of the following :

grated ginger (sometimes raw, sometimes fried),

fried peanuts,

non-traditional: cumin and mint

again non-traditional: Lots of peeled, chopped cucumber (This version is my son's fav.)

Most people in the South make curd rice as an accompaniment to tamarind rice. I'm very curious about this because I always thought tamarind cooled you down. Been asking a lot of questions, but none of my friends seem to know. This is the perfect opportunity to pose the question to this forum.

I like to eat yogurt rice with papads, pickles and mint chutney. I also like the yogurt to be mild and creamy.

Here's a tip if you don't have enough yogurt to make the rice helenjp, but it only works on very hot days. Combine milk and the rice together, add a small quantity of the yogurt and set aside in a warm place for a few hours. The milk turns to yogurt and voila! curd rice.

Hope this helps.

Suman

Edited by rajsuman (log)

only works on very hot days

*Not* a problem! Currently 38degC in my office...

Cucumber sounds like an addition my sons would enjoy too. This is a peanut-growing area, so raw peanuts are cheap too. Sounds good!

Cumin and mint? I often wonder exactly where the middle east and India stop and start.

I've been using a home-made Bulgarian yogurt - that has plenty of flavor, but is mild and not sour.

Most people in the South make curd rice as an accompaniment to tamarind rice. I'm very curious about this because I always thought tamarind cooled you down. Been asking a lot of questions, but none of my friends seem to know. This is the perfect opportunity to pose the question to this forum.

tamarind is considered 'cooling' Suman-what's the question? :smile:

We use a lot of cumin and mint in India, but I haven't seen anyone else add it to curd rice. That doesn't stop me though - I think they go very well with the yogurt (perhaps I subconsciously derived the combination from the raita my mother makes with cucumber, mint and toasted cumin powder).

Suman

Hi gingerly,

The question is: why won't many south Indians eat their tamarind rice without their curd rice? I could understand it if tamarind was heat-producing, but now you've confirmed my suspicions that it is not. They don't make curd rice with lemon rice, for example.

Any ideas?

Suman

hmm..looks like expert opinion is called for here-i'm afraid for me the 'host of other things' includes anything from thick cut potato chips to pepper fried meat! :unsure::laugh: maybe lalitha can help?!

it just occurred to me(i have a newly chipped tooth so)it might possibly be something to do with calcium intake to counter the acidity of tamarind..?

Edited by gingerly (log)

Helen, I loved your blog and went through it with attention.

My favourite version is with a garnish of sauted crushed peanuts, mustard seeds, red chilli pepper pieces and chopped curry leaves. Topped with freshly minced ginger and coriander. Squeeze some lime juice if your yogurt is mild.

Now that you have inspired me I am going to try it with sansho and wasabi ! :wub:

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

I was actually thinking it might be nice with Torakris' favorite yuzu-koshou ( apreserve made from coarse salt, minced green chili, and finely grated yuzu - rough citron). I've been meaning to make it with lime actually, so maybe this is my chance :biggrin:

Glad some people enjoyed the blog...afraid I went a bit overboard :rolleyes:

tamarind is cooling, and so is curd rice, and in general in a deccan

summer you wan to be as cool as possible :)

also, most of us "madraasis" can't imagine ending a meal

without some form of yogurt and rice, either the pre-mixed

seasoned kind that you describe here; or the kind that

you mix yourself on your banana leaf (as often buttermilk-rice

as curd-rice).

other trendy mix-ins: pomegranate seeds or green grapes (latter sliced

in half).

very popular in pot lucks; or dasara / diwali get togethers;

or picnics or journeys. it travels very well without spoiling in

hot weather. this used to be a standard item packed for us

on train journeys. first meal: parathas. second meal: idlis.

third meal: curd-rice. thereafter you're on your own, at the

tender mercy of indian railway commissariat, or the platform hawkers.

what about a new thread: favorite train food, either brought from

home or from platform hawkers: regional specialties?

milagai

milagai

rajsuman,

At least in my house, one wouldnt dare eat tamarind rice without curd rice to accompany it for the simple reason that while tamarind itself might be 'cooling', my moms tamarind rice is hot as hell :O... bringing tears of joy to your eyes kinda hot :)... the tart and spicy mixture followed by the cool, much more lightly flavoured curd rice leaves me satisfied and happy :). There, now you've got me yearning for tamarind rice, chips and curd rice flavoured with ginger, cilantro, mustard and small pieces of cucumber (this is my favorite version too).

A lot of south indians I know make their tamarind rice rather hot with a lot of dried red chillies in the mixture.. i think thats what makes the curd rice a necessary accompaniment. Limbu rice & coconut rice on the other hand are mild and can be eaten on their own.

- worm@work

I cannot imagine ending a meal without curd rice...it would be blasphemous!...tamarind is acidic..i have never heard of tamarind being 'cooling'...tamarind rice has a lot of chillies to counter the tangy/sourish/fruity tamarind essence(tamarind mixed well with heat..as in chillies)....have tamarind rice everyday without following up with curd rice and you'll have a problem in the wrong end of you...it cools you down in the hot south indian summers(our four seasons..hot..hotter..7th circle of hell..lucifer's nightmare)..altho' curd(more fat content) by itself is heat producing to the body..its buttermilk that cools you down...its not a subtle difference...curd rice is bland..it can be rich with cream or bare like a gruel...fancy with garnish or without...but it tastes so good...everyway

other than that...

as if south indians need an excuse to have curd rice!

of course!the most logical thing would be to cool off after a spicy tamarind rice with some plain curd rice :biggrin: i guess this is what i was thinking of-

tamarind presents the right environment for the conversion of complex ferric iron salts to ferrous iron ...also assists in the absorption of calcium and magnesium.

now you can have your curd/tamarind rice secure in the knowledge that 'it has been scientifically proven' that you're eating right! :wink:

i know next to nothing about indian cooking, but i made a version the other day with chopped radishes, curry leaves and cashews. it may be incorrect, but i really liked it.

it may or may not be traditional, who cares?...It works for you...As long as you don't try to pass it off as some traditional Indian recipe, I doubt that the culinary purity police will be breaking down your door in the middle of the night... :biggrin:

So many good ideas...made a *totally* Japanese version with cucumber, toasted sesame, green shiso leaves, and a little dried red chili pepper. Should have added a hint of scallions. At least it shows that it still tastes good with what is in a fridge in Japan!

Look forward to trying some more plausible combinations!

i know next to nothing about indian cooking, but i made a version the other day with chopped radishes, curry leaves and cashews. it may be incorrect, but i really liked it.

it may or may not be traditional, who cares?...It works for you...As long as you don't try to pass it off as some traditional Indian recipe, I doubt that the culinary purity police will be breaking down your door in the middle of the night... :biggrin:

:angry: NOBODY MOVE..!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

one phone call-and it had better be take out..

In a way it is traditional. Radishes, cashews, curry leaves, rice and yogurt-all traditional ingredients. Its just not the "classic" combination. The using of what is available in an ingenious way is the true tradition of Indian cooking, in my opinion anyway.... :smile: The dish does not have to be classic to be "authentic".....right?

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

Tamarind rice definitely is hot and spicy, and yogurt rice cools you off afterward. My mom (Punjabi) knows how to make tamarind rice but rarely does, even though my father (from Bangalore) loves it; one of my college friends will always have some of her mom's on hand, and is always willing to share. :smile::smile:

Last time my family hosted a dinner party for Indian friends, she made yogurt rice to serve at the end of the meal. Nothing was a bigger hit that night than the yogurt rice. Right before she served it, she added some chopped coriander to the pot - something she usually doesn't do, but it turned out to be great.

Amy

Hi Amy and welcome!

Where are you based? Tell us more about yourself.

We take curd/yogurt rice for granted but it seems to have universal appeal. I too have never come across anyone not liking it. Maybe it deserves to share the pedestal with CTM.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com