• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to add tomato sauce

41 minutes ago, Smithy said:

What do you like to use for freezing small portions when you have too much of something?

When I make stock, I reduce it 3X and freeze in 1/3 cup sized ice cube trays (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) which I find handy as each cube is equivalent to a cup of stock. 

I also freeze tomato sauce in the same cubes.  1/3 cup is good for a single serving of pasta or a good-sized pizza. 

I freeze extra egg white, egg yolk or beaten egg in smaller cubes, generally weighing and aliquoting 1/2 large egg equivalents (30g white, 10g yolk, 25g beaten egg) in smaller ice cube trays (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Both of the above get transferred to zip-top freezer bags, which I wash and reuse as much as possible.  I have 2 sets of those silicone ice cube trays.  Red for savory stuff that might contain onion or garlic, blue or pink for everything else. 

I freeze a lot of stuff in flattened zip-top freezer bags and break off what I need. These can be stored upright and I can usually tell what's what by the color. At the moment, my freezer has lime juice, lemon juice, tamarind chutney, tamarind paste, caramelized onions, red and green Thai curry pastes, tomato and onion masala from Dishoom, Romesco, pesto, puréed chipotles in adobo, sun-dried tomato purée, and a variety of cooked beans stacked up this way. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

29 minutes ago, Smithy said:

What do you like to use for freezing small portions when you have too much of something?

When I make stock, I reduce it 3X and freeze in 1/3 cup sized ice cube trays (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) which I find handy as each cube is equivalent to a cup of stock. 

I freeze extra egg white, egg yolk or beaten egg in smaller cubes, generally weighing and aliquoting 1/2 large egg equivalents (30g white, 10g yolk, 25g beaten egg) in smaller ice cube trays (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Both of the above get transferred to zip-top freezer bags, which I wash and reuse as much as possible. 

I freeze a lot of stuff in flattened zip-top freezer bags and break off what I need. These can be stored upright and I can usually tell what's what by the color. At the moment, my freezer has lime juice, lemon juice, tamarind chutney, tamarind paste, caramelized onions, red and green Thai curry pastes, tomato and onion masala from Dishoom, Romesco, puréed chipotles in adobo, sun-dried tomato purée, and a variety of cooked beans stacked up this way.