• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ten Best Rosé wines

Gifted Gourmet

article in the Independent on rosé wines

Does the summer make a difference in the type of wines you prefer?

Are you a rosé wine enthusiast?

How has rosé fared in recent times as a favorite choice? Still as popular as it once was back in the 60's and 70's? Or is it sooooo over?? :rolleyes:

Does the list offered in this article contain some merely adequate, rather good, truly excellent, or poor choices? Let us hear your opinions!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I don't think these ten wines would quality for anybodys (except apparently this writer) list of great rosé wines. No Tavel? No Bandol? What kind of top ten is this?

I am merely the messenger who read and wanted to share this article ... :rolleyes:

that said, Craig, which rose wines would you suggest to someone with a desire to learn more about them and try them? I'd love to hear from you, in particular, for your opinion is well-grounded and an educated one as well ...

Dry Rose fans: BOLO for Pedroncelli's Zinfandel Rose! An excellent picnic, patio or anywhere summer wine. Just off-dry , fruity and fairly complex for wine of the genre, it works well with grilled poultry, fish and shellfish. Pedroncelli has been perfecting this wine since the 50's, long before the Trincero's et al. stigmatized the varietal with their pink koolade. I wonder if the Pedroncelli people could hire Randall Graham or someone to come up with a new moniker for this under $10.00 beauty that wouldn't scare consumers off by zinfandel name association!

P.S.: Apropos to nothing, but how the hell do you guys manage to get that acute accent in rose/"' `? Can you do a grave accent? A circumflex? Maybe an oomlaut (sp?)... Thanks

Edited by john@thebar (log)

I wonder if the Pedroncelli people could hire Randall Graham or someone to come up with a new moniker for this under $10.00 beauty that wouldn't scare consumers off by zinfandel name association!

When I visit my daughter who lives in the town where Bonny Doon is produced, I go to their tasting room and one of my favorites is his "Cardinal Zin" ... all of his labels are incredibly clever! Thanks for reminding me of Randall Grahm's genius for words and wine......Bonny Doon labels galore

I actually just did a write-up last week on how much I have enjoyed the Robert Sinskey Vin Gris of Pinot Noir. Craig, have you tried that one?

I am sort of fresh on the scene in regards to rosé wines and am also looking forward to trying some of the recommendations Craig made in his write-up and any other insights people may have to offer.

After tasting a good rosé, I have seen the light! -h

Heidi Swanson

101 Cookbooks

What kind of top ten is this?

Cheap. :biggrin:

I'm a fan of all things inexpensive, but I don't recognize any of the labels, so I can't say if they're inexpensive or just cheap. We've been drinking a Costières de Nîmes, this summer--Ch. Grande Cassagne--and it does it's job well enough. It pairs well with foods eaten al fresco. A perennial favorite of ours is from Chivite in Navarra, but I recall reading in the paper that they've lost their importer. At any rate, I haven't see their rosado this spring.

I think rosé has been a little in and out of fashion, but I think it's gotten over it's post 60s reputation. People no longer say "you don't really drink rosé, do you" to me any more. For us it's a part of summer. A few years back I was in an Italian restaurant in NY's "Little Italy" with an old friend--a French woman. I don't recall what we had, but it wasn't anything special. I ordered a rosé and the ass of a waiter, presumably interested in raising my tab asked if I didn't want a real wine. He almost lost his tip, but I felt kind of sorry for him after my friend almost bit his head off. She's from the Languedoc where they drink a fair amount of rosé in the summer especially on terraces.

Vin Gris de Cigare is at the top end of our inexpensive rosés. A good Tavel is another class up and actually deserves some attention as do the Bandols I've had.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

10 best supermatket wines?

Perhaps..

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.