• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making flavored syrups

KatieLoeb

As for the history, the first person I know who recommended adding booze to simple syrup in writing was Dave Wondrich.  Not sure whether this was an original idea of his or not.  I note that Esquire Drinks does not contain a recommendation for added alcohol as a preservative, whereas Killer Cocktails does (". . . add 1/2 ounce of grain alcohol or 151-proof rum to deter mold.").

I hasten to add that I have not seen, much less done scientific studies of this. But I started doing it one particularly hot summer when I was having problems with my syrup (2:1) growing mold: out of 3 or 4 batches, at least two sprouted disgusting black flecks when stored at room temperature. Subsequent batches, prepared with a little Everclear, proved perfectly stable. Hence my suggestion.

Interesting. Questions: How did you add the Everclear? Were you mixing the Everclear in completely, or were you topping the bottles with Everclear? Also, was this simple that you were using that went bad, or were these more or less "storage" batches? Open containers (e.g., with pouring spouts) or closed?

I suppose it's possible that such a low concentration of alcohol would be enough to inhibit certain fungi, but I rather suspect that the answer is something else. I wonder if this has more to do with making sure the bottle is sanitized than anything else. . .

--

Interesting.  Questions:  How did you add the Everclear?  Were you mixing the Everclear in completely, or were you topping the bottles with Everclear?  Also, was this simple that you were using that went bad, or were these more or less "storage" batches?  Open containers (e.g., with pouring spouts) or closed?

I suppose it's possible that such a low concentration of alcohol would be enough to inhibit certain fungi, but I rather suspect that the answer is something else.  I wonder if this has more to do with making sure the bottle is sanitized than anything else. . .

Gee, let's see. Summer of what, 2004? Seeing as I lack a detailed recollection of what I did last month, this'll have to be highly approximate. The Everclear was incorporated into the syrup, since these were definitely batches that were in use--not with pour spouts, but frequently opened to access the contents, thus allowing the native aerial flora of Boerum Hill full access to the sweet liquid therein. (I could not refrigerate them because I have a family and my family eats food and some of that food requires refrigeration, thus taking up valuable booze-geek space.) The bottles were originally clean, though, and anyone who intimates otherwise must be prepared to defend his slanderous words on the field of honor.

Beyond that deponent sayeth not.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

(I could not refrigerate them because I have a family and my family eats food and some of that food requires refrigeration, thus taking up valuable booze-geek space.)

I regularly get strange looks from guest when they see the top half of my fridge -- full of various wines, be they vermouths, stickies, white wines that I may want to drink on a whim, cooking wines, etc, to say nothing of the numerous syrups and liqueurs that I keep refridgerated out of prudence. Knowing now what a family would mean to this collection, I must say I am now in no hurry to get married.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

I regularly get strange looks from guest when they see the top half of my fridge -- full of various wines, be they vermouths, stickies, white wines that I may want to drink on a whim, cooking wines, etc, to say nothing of the numerous syrups and liqueurs that I keep refridgerated out of prudence. Knowing now what a family would mean to this collection, I must say I am now in no hurry to get married.

My friend, we have to sit down one of these days and have a serious talk about priorities.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

doesn't anyone can anything? i come from a canning culture... most all syrups can be brought right to the point of boiling with out messing up the sugars and be hot canned... i'm sure a hundred years ago bartenders were very savy canners... i bottle an insane amount of stuff for our bar... and i've starting using alot of our syrups in non alcoholic lemonaides for the lunch crowd to keep the product turn over... the right routine keeps the labor pretty negligable...

i've even found that vermouths i made need to oxidize to a certain level before serving them... gotten let them get some serious air before i lock them in time in a 750 ml beer bottle...

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

My friend, we have to sit down one of these days and have a serious talk about priorities.

I assume this is because it's only the top half that's full.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Preciso, as we say in Italian. All cocktail stuff or no cocktail stuff, either way is defensible, at least theoretically. But half? A deplorable lack of commitment.

aka David Wondrich

Preciso, as we say in Italian. All cocktail stuff or no cocktail stuff, either way is defensible, at least theoretically. But half? A deplorable lack of commitment.

I am thoroughly shamed and will forthwith do what can be done to rectify this situation.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman