• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone for Tenby?

This year, due to the change in my working arrangements, the Lynes family will be taking a rather modest summer holiday in Tenby, Pembrokeshire. Although the place looks very pretty and has lovely beaches, it appears to be something of a gastronomic desert. Unless you can tell me different. Once we're there, its highly unlikely that we'll want to travel very far, so anywhere within about 5 miles radius of the town centre will do.

Andy - You are right, it is a gastronomic desert......I have relatives who live near by and so am familiar with the area. I have yet to find anywhere of note. But if anyone knows different then I'd be pleased to hear also. There are rumours of somewhere in Laugharne owned by Neil "Bob the Builder" Morrisey....

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

Laugharne is a tad outside the perimeter of your parameter, but wasn't it you, Andy, who recently posted the article about Brown's Hotel being auctioned to Morrissey? You won't find much of a meal there, although I have very fond memories of Brown's for it is where the entire pub, filled with 20-25 Welshmen, sang to me, along with Charlie Rich, "Hey! Did you happen to see the most beautiful girl in the world..."

Whoops. I forgot to add the phrase "very drunk" between "25" and "Welshmen".

While driving to St David's two years ago, I was told there was some good food to be had at the pubs in Solva. I obviously picked the wrong pub. But the drive up the coast is spectacular.

What's happening at the Walnut Tree Inn these days? Will you stop there on your way to or from Tenby? Abergavenny is not quite on the London Road ( :wink: )and I'm sure you've dined there before, but I thought it worth the detour. Mmmm...panettone bread pudding.

Sorry not to be of more positive assistance. Perhaps self-catering lodgings are in order...

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

I go down that neck of the woods now and again and the food isn't great. I'm not sure about the pubs in Solva - the menus have never inspired me (though the "town" is pretty) but your best bet is the Druidstone near Druidstone Haven, which is on the coast between Milford and St David's. It is (miles) outside your stated area, but is sat on the coast looking over the Atlantic and the food, while not great, is unpretentious and well-done. The views and the ambience are fantastic though. It is a very informal old place, and sitting in the garden, watching kids play while the sun sets over the horizon is, frankly, worth the price of admission alone.

Other than that, every time I go to Pembrokeshire I try and I spend money looking for a good restaurant and it just doesn't happen, though there is a surprisingly good Indian (Sri Lankan chef I think) in Milford Haven. Best of luck!

That's what makes Britain great.

No matter where you go, you can always find and indian restaurant which will be half decent.

Even if it's not great, at least they make the food to order (Well some of it anyway), which is more than you can say for most pub 'restaurants'

I love animals.

They are delicious.

• 2 weeks later...

Andy

Although I am not from Tenby myself, I have visited a couple of times & I have had some great food from a place called Plantagenet House. This was last year so I hope it's still going. It's on Quay Hill, (tel.01834842350 - well done google). Probably the best monkfish I have ever had if not the biggest portion. It's in a lovely old building set on two floors - bar on the ground floor if my memory serves me right.

Anyway, be interesting to hear your take on the place.

cheers

Mikey

PS. In case you don't know, mind the hens & stags (not sure which are worse) on Fri/Sat nights in town

• 1 year later...

I ended up doing a lot of cooking at the holiday cottage. We had one reasonable meal out in Blueberrys Restaurant, Wesley House Tel: 01834 845785 but it was nothing to write home about. Candy cafe was frankly terrible but has one of the most stunning views of any restaurant in the UK. If a named chef bought the property they could transform Tenby a la Rick Stein I'm sure. I'll post a photo later this evening. Excellent old fashioned ice cream sundaes and knockerbocker glories are to be had at Fecci and Sons in Upper Frog Street. Probably the gastronomic highlight of the trip!

We also ate at Kook-a-Ba, High St, Saundersfoot. 01834 813814. Entirely unremarkable but the kids liked it and Saundersfoot is very pretty.

Andy,

Visited Pembrokeshire as a kid & was blown away by the natural beauty. Touring around the caves & cliffs in a zodiac being a memorable highlight. Anyway the food....best fish & chips of my life! seriously stunning, can't beat sparkling fresh fish cooked simply, it became a benchmark for me in judging all that followed(i wish sometimes that i could subdue this tendency to relate experiences & compare)