• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Achatz leaving Trio.

sashimi

Hello. I am a new member and this is my first post. I live in Atlanta so I was very interested when the post regarding Richard Blais starting a new restaurant in September showed up on this thread.Is there any additional information available? This would be great news for his fans such as me.

This is why I joined,to be connected with some people who are in the know regarding food,restaurants and related topics. I look forword to a long and productive relationship.

100% right 50% of the time.

I can see it now. Trio "Hot Dog": A finger-length mustard and poppyseed gelee balloon filled with variety meat consomme served on a cloud of pickle relish foam with the aroma of exhaust and fresh bread.

Scott

:biggrin:

Heh. No catsup option, I notice. Your 'Chicago' is showing, Scott.

:raz:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I can see it now.  Trio "Hot Dog":  A finger-length mustard and poppyseed gelee balloon filled with variety meat consomme served on a cloud of pickle relish foam with the aroma of exhaust and fresh bread.

Scott

From my article in the Daily Gullet.

After dinner, during a tour of the kitchen, Grant and I discussed my return. The gauntlet was tossed down. My challenge, his approach to a Chicago-style hot dog. Grant's eyes seemed to focus far away. I sensed his intrigue. He smirked, "You'll have your hot dog."

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

So, what's next for Trio?

As much as some have suggested that Trio may "fall off" with Chef Grant's departure, history strongly suggests otherwise. Owner Henry Adaniya has a proven track record of cultivating and/or incubating great culinary talent. Rick Tramanto and Gale Gand who run the renowned Tru, helmed Trio--as did Shawn McClain, whose Spring is one of the hottest places in the city. Grant Achatz, who has ascended rapidly in the ranks of the Great Chefs, was yet another ace hiring for Adaniya.

Here's the take from the Trio team...

When McClain moved on to open Spring, Adaniya brought in Grant Achatz to head the culinary team at Trio. Achatz was quickly recognized as a prodigious talent who was capable of virtually redefining culinary art, changing the way food aficionados think about flavors, textures and culinary composition. When Achatz received the 2003 James Beard Foundation’s award as Rising Star Chef, Adaniya’s reputation as a developer of America’s finest chefs was unquestionably confirmed.

Adaniya has yet to announce the shape of things to come at Trio, but given the restaurant’s reputation as a springboard for America’s finest culinary talent, the fourth generation of Trio will likely be exceptional—and, no doubt, eagerly anticipated.

I have to agree. No question that what comes next will be different but it also promises to be distinctive, successful and significant.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I can see it now.  Trio "Hot Dog":  A finger-length mustard and poppyseed gelee balloon filled with variety meat consomme served on a cloud of pickle relish foam with the aroma of exhaust and fresh bread.

Scott

That's pretty good....want a job???

--

Grant Achatz

Chef/Owner

Alinea

Scott

Boy, chefg, you just made a mistake. Scott's likely to take you up on that (as I would be), to the great fear of our wives. You know you've nearly ruined our upcoming trip which had become the Trio chef's table or bust. My stomach actually sank when I heard the rumors were true.

Absolutely! My BA in philosophy would enable me to write opaque postmodern press releases for the restaurant during the day, while my law degree would qualify me to scrub pots and pans in the evenings.

Let me know where to send my resume.

Scott