• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cricket friendly?

jld

So on the bar back at a bar that I frequent on a semi-regular basis, there is a brass sign, engraved that says "Cricket friendly". Anyone know what this means? I always forget to ask while I'm there.

As far as I know, it means that the bar's TV will periodically display bunches of men in shin-guards standing around for long stretches of time and occasionally stirring themselves to throw a ball in a peculiar overhand manner or swing something that resembles a stunted canoe-paddle through a narrow arc at said ball. Thoroughly incomprehensible bevavior, but there are those who swear by it.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

Well said. It would be a very enjoyable afternoon, indeed, to knock back a few cocktails while getting the low-down on the rules and the scoring system. Wonderfully complicated.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

That really does sound pleasant...Pink Gins would be in order, methinks.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

either that or you must listen to Jiminy sing, "When you Wish Upon A Star" over and over again.

Which I suppose would lead to another thread: What cocktails would match w/ Disney movies?

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

As far as I know, it means that the bar's TV will periodically display bunches of men in shin-guards standing around for long stretches of time and occasionally stirring themselves to throw a ball in a peculiar overhand manner or swing something that resembles a stunted canoe-paddle through a narrow arc at said ball. Thoroughly incomprehensible bevavior, but there are those who swear by it.

:laugh:

What cocktails would match w/ Disney movies?

Oh my. I want in on whatever someone comes up with for Fantasia, I and II.

something tells me it would involve absinthe or at least something laced w/ mushrooms. ":^)

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

:laugh:

Only the wicket keeper, and maybe short leg and silly point wear shin guards.....

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Well said.  It would be a very enjoyable afternoon, indeed, to knock back a few cocktails while getting the low-down on the rules and the scoring system.  Wonderfully complicated.

As I quoted on the cricket thread:

Cricket is simple to understand. As explained to a foreigner:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in the pavilion. Each man that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he is out. When they are all out, except the man who is not out, the side that's been out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out, he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who are all out all the time, and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

Of course, while in the Pavillion they will need something to drink...

Edited by jackal10 (log)