• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Center in Vienna

Aun

Hi,

I read a recent magazine article on a new centre in Vienna that houses a Viennese restaurant plus Autrian wine and produce shop, as well as offers information of Austrian cuisine. Only, now I can't remember which magazine I read that in. I remember the centre was set up by the Autrian government or the city of Vienna and is relatively new.

Can any one tell me the name of this place? And send me some info?

You can email me at aun@singapore.com or post here.

Thanks,

Aun

Vienna calling.

I fear this is truly scant information, but I think what you are looking for is:

www.culinarium.at

The English pages of the website are entirely uninformative (if you indeed manage to find them).

All I can say is that it is located right in the middle of town and that I have never been there, nor know anyone who has. We probably still do not forgive the proprietors for having taken over one of Vienna's finest delicatessen shops and created this hybrid. I remember that reviews after it opened (quite a while ago) were not favourable.

All of this may, of course, have changed for the better. I might have a look myself soon, and would report my findings, naturally.

Charley

Charles Milton Ling

Vienna, Austria

• 2 months later...

I can provide an update - for what it's worth:

The Culinarium Oesterreich is at 10 Neuer Markt, just off Kartner Strasse. I got there at about 4:00 on a Saturday. Cafe was open outside with an interesting sounding menu at reasonable prices. When I went inside to ask about the shop selling regional specialties, I was told it was closed for the summer! I felt that between the Nasmarkt and Demel, I was able to get everything I was looking for like pumpkin-seed oil, apricot preserves, good vinegar, etc. I was very disappointed.

I've never been disappointed with a trip to the Naschmarkt. Between the vinegar stand and the fresh fish at that vaguely Norwegian place and the Italian importer that faces it, I've never left empty handed. Look for the specialty stuff and you should be fine. If you want good kurbiskernoil (Pumpkin seed oil from Styria) and really incredible vinegars (including a balsamic that would rival Italy's best - just had some on some tomatoes!) and freshly made sauerkraut, etc. the Naschmarkt is hard to beat. It has to be one of the best outdoor markets I've ever visited in the world. Talk to the vendors. They're duly proud of their wares. :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

FWIW

There's another very nice, smaller market called "Brunnenmarkt" or "Yppenmarkt" (16th precinct) . At the upper end, there's a square ("Yppenplatz") with several small cabins. One of tehem is Stauds Pavillon, the home shop of a meantime successful producer of preserved food.

The pavillon is run by mama Staud, and I found there a lot of cute specialties I've never seen elsewhere. For example, once I bought 2 different apricot marmelades made from the famous "Wachauer Marillen" (apricots from the wine area), each made from different "vineyards"of the same region. The difference was amazing and not unlike comparing wine or eaux-de-vie from different places. When in Vienna, I always go there to sample some unknown stuff.

On Saturday morning, there are farmers from the near region there and during the week a vast selection of turkish/greek/balkan products.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

yes, yes - I'm in agreement. I meant that I was disappointed that the Culinarium turned out to be a bust. The cheese purveyor in the market, called Kaseland, is wonderful. I had a great conversation w/the manager, as I am in the cheese biz here in the US. We compared fave cheeses from various countries and he gave me a piece of wild, pungent, great Austrian Rasskase. The vinegar stall you are talking about, where they sold many interesting types w/empty bottle to fill yourself was very interesting - I just didn't know how I would get it home. Also, a beautiful meat stall about half way down - didn't buy any cured meats, but they sure looked good!