• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cafe Asia

I'm not really one to bash a place,

but what the hell?

The sushi there sucks, the calamari is a soggy fatty mess, the salads are weak, weak, weak and overpriced. Spring rolls aren't any better than 50 places who do the exact same thing. And as far as I'm concerned, service is no balancing act.

What?! It's true! :hmmm: I'm sorry.

I like Spices a whole lot better.

I think * (one star) is right for this place.

Beat me up. Go ahead and tear me to shreads!

And why not? I've only been to the DC location once (may return tonight), but I really liked it.

Beef rendang and pork dumplings were highlights last visit.

Web site

Printable menu

If this is the same Cafe Asia as the one in Arlington (near Rosslyn), then I give it the thumbs up!!!! Pork dumplings hmmmmm....

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis

I'm with you morela, I've lived 3 blocks away from Cafe Asia for years and if you notice I never mention it in my top neighborhood picks. Out of deference to Mark and his owner friend, on the last thread we had on eG about Cafe Asia, I keep hoping my previous experiences were exceptions to the rule--and just state that I have not been back since. Yet restaurants improve, it always seems crowded when I go by and the patio is often packed. (I've never had a disappointing experience at Spices, I think it hits what it aims for, including the sushi, and would return readily.)

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

The owner is also a friend of mine and more precisely my Wife's. Haven't been to the new - new one in DC yet, so I can't compare it to the one in Rosslyn to which we make frequent pilgrimages :biggrin: Also never sampled the sushi (my daughter likes the smoked eel, but that's the only kind she eats). When Cafe Asia is criticized its usually for the sushi. I especially dig the noodles Chow kway teo (sorry for the phonetic spelling) which are close to the ones I love when I get to visit Penang, Malaysia.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

The owner is also a friend of mine and more precisely my Wife's. Haven't been to the new - new one in DC yet, so I can't compare it to the one in Rosslyn to which we make frequent pilgrimages :biggrin: Also never sampled the sushi (my daughter likes the smoked eel, but that's the only kind she eats). When Cafe Asia is criticized its usually for the sushi. I especially dig the noodles Chow kway teo (sorry for the phonetic spelling) which are close to the ones I love when I get to visit Penang, Malaysia.

I've only been to the DC location once and given the geographic scope of the menu, I was careful to pick out something I thought was unique (i.e. I wouldn't order sushi from there because I assume a busy sushi bar would have more turnover and hence fresher sushi). But I did order trout in a banana leaf or something like that that was pretty good, along with an appetizer that was good.

I really like Cafe Asia and have promoted it a few times on here. Its happy hour is great, while DC has a lot of very good happy hours, having (good, quality) sushi at happy hour offers something a bit different. The menu is diverse and while it isn't the greatest Asian food (you can't really expect excellent Asian food at a pla

I've only been to the DC location, but I give it two thumbs up. Have yet to have a disappointing experience. So far my favorite dish is the aforementioned gway tio (as they spell it on the menu). Tried it with the shrimp mussles pork combination on Sunday for the first time and it was delicious. I like the space, too. The chairs upstairs are muy comfortable.

I haven't been to the "new" DC location, but I work half a block form the former site, and we really missed it when they had not yet opened. My entire office was addicted to the Red Curry, (we even had it delivered from Arlington when they were between locations) and several people said it is the best they ever had. I can't comment on the sushi since I never ate it there--there are several other places to get sushi in this neck of the woods, and I couldn't pass up the Red Curry whenever we were eating there!