• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Margaritas!

Raynickben

The DMN Texas Taste is featuring an article on Margaritas. Read here.

Growing up in NJ I was never a fan of Margaritas. Rolling Rocks were king. But then I moved to Texas and wow! That is a tasty drink :smile: The best margarita I have had is the regular lime version at Monica's Aca y Alla and the watermelon margarita at Ciudad (also owned by Monica, now known to me as Goddess of Margaritas). Both restaurants are in Dallas.

So the question is: Where have you had a truly great Margarita? And a bad one (I'm talking to you Tia's)?

Anyone have a margarita recipe you'd like to share?

Down here in the wilds of Austin i am rather partial to the ritas at Maudies Milagro(only because they come in both regular and large sizes) and the mexican martinis at the Cedar Door (where the mex martini was invented).

casey

I have to say that I have yet to have a really good Margarita in Texas. Now, I know I haven't had them everywhere so I am sure that I have missed some.

First, my definition of "good"... This would be the classic of good tequila (don't waste great, Cuervo Especial is good enough), fresh squeezed lime juice from those little bastards that they call "limons", a dash of triple sec for flavor and to take a little of the edge off the lime juice. Shake with ice and strain into a salt rimmed glass. Note that there is no icy slush, no simple syrup, no green coloring.

Now that is a Margarita. The preferrable setting for embibing is under a palapa in Akumal. But, if anyone finds one of these in the Houston area, please advise.

I am very opinionated on this so any attempts at rebuttal to my above statements are futile and will not change my mind. :raz:

As you might guess, I also object to any number of fruit drinks that just happen to contain tequila being called Margaritas. :biggrin:

edit to add: If anyone finds a machine or a technique for squeezing the "little bastards", they will change the free world as we know it.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

i dont like ritas made with gold tequilla.

i make the best ritas ive ever had.

herra dura silver, fresh lime, teenincy splash of cointreau. salt rim.

nothing more, nothing less.

xo

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley

i dont like ritas made with gold tequilla.

i make the best ritas ive ever had.

herra dura silver, fresh lime, teenincy splash of cointreau. salt rim.

nothing more, nothing less.

xo

amen; that's how I make them also, with Herradura except I use more than a splash of cointreau. When I make them for most people it is an "aha" moment if they haven't made them at home before...

When I'm in a likely bar, sometimes I'll just ask for (silver) tequila with fresh lime juice and a little Cointreau. (This is sometimes successful in getting a real margarita and avoiding the limeade...).

Also--you can ask in a new place if they use fresh lime juice for the margaritas. If so, they're likely to be very good.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

well, you just toddle on over here and we will have ourselves a mess o' ritas! i may feel the need to go whip up a batch for myself here any minute!

maybe some nachos with guac to go with!

xo :biggrin:

Edited by ElfWorks (log)

*Christopher Morley

well,  you just toddle on over here and we will have ourselves a mess o' ritas!  i may feel the need to go whip up a batch for myself here any minute!

I was just wondering when we'd all be invited over... :biggrin: Have never tried to make one of these suckers for msyelf!

An odd alien wench

actually, i live in the dumpiest apartment and tho i am usually the hostest with the mostest, in my current location, i couldnt imagine having all the ausitintes over, especially after all the grandeur and beautimousness of foodie's home!

that said, yall are welcome anytime!!

xo

*Christopher Morley

I agree on the Silver Herradura. Actually, that is my favorite. It is just that some places use the Cuervo Especial as "top shelf". I do like the gold from time to time as it is a little different taste.

That being said, the problem seems to be a place away from home that is willing to juice those troublesome little limons.

Ironically, the best Margarita I have had in the US was at Frontera Grill (Rick Bayless's place) in Chicago. (Get a rope!) They do use the fresh juice from those little limes. I am still wondering how they do that in those quantities.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Personally, I think my wife makes the best damn margaritas you'll ever have. She leveraged her own recipe from one detailed in Cook's illustrated. Couple of keys are reposado agave tequila (smooth with a bite), and a mixture of fresh squeezed lime and lemon juice with both lemon and lime zest. Friday happy hours at the Onion Dome are always very festive.

Fifi, your point about good, not great tequila, is well taken. We found that the best tequila for margaritas was a relatively inexpensive reposado agave tequila (less than $20 a fifth). I am at work, so don't remember the name.

As for restaurants, I have to go with Tila's here in Houston. (corrected)

Edited by LDLee (log)

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

Are you sure its Tealas? Because I think Tila's are much better.

jscarbor

Good catch. My bad. :blush:

Yes, you are right, it is Tila's on Shepherd.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

• 2 weeks later...

Here, Ciudad. Austin, La Fonda San Miguel. But for the absolute gold standard, the margarita - especially the margarita with tamarind, on the rocks, at Las Girasoles on Calle Tacuba, Centro Historico, Mexico, D.F. Bar none.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

The worst margaritas I've ever had weren't in TX, but in Colorado. In Silverton, there's a place called Goerge's, right on the main drag. They make 'em with Wylers lemonade mix and some kind of rot-gut tequila that I've never seen before. The altitude along with the alcohol is lethal enough to make you forget how bad it is. My advise - have a Corona.

Stop Family Violence