• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Pied Bistro

Just passed by the old Tahoga space today and noticed menus in the window. Yves from Au Pied de Cochon has taken the space over. Advertised hours are till 3AM during the week and 6AM Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Maybe a little Lobster Thermidor tonight after work........

Mark

Ever hear of tennis elbow? I have croissant elbow from trying to cut one of these so-called "croque monsieurs." Was a toss up which was less appealing, the croissant that defied the age of the restaurant, (or perhaps carbon dating should be introduced on FDA labels), or the omelette smothered in the most French of cheeses (see American).

If there's a chance I will show up here drunk, I will strongly consider giving up the sauce for good. There are 5 million better late night options, including Big Wong, BdC (of course), Sette, walking to Pat's in Philly, posting on e-gullet, posting on chowhound, drinking Richebourg until 5:30 AM, listening to Air Supply, driving nails into my head, or perhaps eating ammoniated Reblochon. In short, not sure I'll be back.

At least there was bagpipes and Scotch at the Guards to save the night.

Edited by John W. (log)

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

What is it about Georgetown that it seems to attract more than its fair share of crappy food?

Is it sheer gravity pulling all of the city's waste into the Potomac?

Just a thought....

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

listening to Air Supply, driving nails into my head,

Same difference.

Sorry to hear Pied is no more, as I spent many many late nights there once upon a time. Eggs benedict was the only thing worth ordering then, and apparently that still holds at the new place.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I'm sure Rocks will be along to break the tie presently. My guess is it'll involve a truck, a duck and bistro owner who says ... well, you know.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Looks like Mark S. and John W. are playign "good cop-bad cop" here.  One sees white, the other black, when the color is probably grey.

Some of my comments were loosely paraphrasing my partner in crime and late night dining the honorable Mark Sommelier.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

If there's a chance I will show up here drunk, I will strongly consider giving up the sauce for good. There are 5 million better late night options, including Big Wong, BdC (of course), Sette, walking to Pat's in Philly, posting on e-gullet, posting on chowhound, drinking Richebourg until 5:30 AM, listening to Air Supply, driving nails into my head, or perhaps eating ammoniated Reblochon. In short, not sure I'll be back.

At least there was bagpipes and Scotch at the Guards to save the night.

Gorge Town.

I hate to be so bitter, but I'm still pissed off (literally, like that place's floor) at myself for being drunken enough (some donkey year ago) to go into Au Pied...and order baked brie. It came out with bread that you could find in a dumpster behind Starbucks, and the cheese itself, I'm afraid it was very close to becoming an igneous rock. Loser me, didn't test before scarfing, and I burned my mouth on that lava brie. It scorched my mouth, my gullet, my tastebuds stolen by magma and stale baguette.

But I like eggs. And Scotch is there to save the night...

Do you think an omelette would be safe? Maybe a time or two, instead of pizza?

Edited by morela (log)

Markie! My old chum,

When did Tahoga actually close?  I'd heard tale of it's wheezing decline and am curious: how bad did it get?

Is the gang still doing Marshall's on Saturday nights?  I'll have a shot of 99 Bananas tonight for old time sake.

Johnny!! Hey dude.

Tahoga closed 2 years ago. They re-opened briefly about 6 months ago and closed after 2 weeks.

We do Marshall's only occasionally. Sette and Bistrot du Coin are so much more fun. Alas, they don't have 99 Bananas.

Where are you hiding these days?

Edited by Mark Sommelier (log)

Mark

Ever hear of tennis elbow? I have croissant elbow from trying to cut one of these so-called "croque monsieurs."

I've heard many names for masturbation over the years: roughing up the suspect, phoning the czar, walking the plank, etc., but "cutting the croissant" is a new one to me.

Very impressive that you injured your elbow John, but would have been double-barrelled impressive had you complained of a sore shoulder (or two!)

If by PM you mean Post More, I'd be glad to try to clear things up. Although, I don't think I know who John W is, so I'd hate to take the 'Bad Johnny' title if he's a badder johnny than me.

Fatdeko is none other than me, John Myers, former fixture on the DC restaurant scene. When I was @ Tahoga--3 years or so, starting from the beginning--Mark and I (as well as several others) would while away what remained of legal drinking time at the Guards or some other place. Saturday nights @ the Guards were notoriously inhospitable to us older, quieter folks and we took to creepin' over the bridge to Marshall's where a cute, but heavy-ish bartender loved to give us shots of 99 Bananas schnapps.

To answer Mark's Q:

I am indeed hiding. Up here in Portland ME. My old email is the same, except I'm now @verizon.net if'n you wanna chat.

Glad to see that Au Pied is gone... it's about time. I had many a drunken (yet still awful) late nite snack there in my younger years. The fact that I don' t remember much from those drunken nights except the crappy food should give those who never had the pleasure of dining there an idea!!!! Good riddance I say! I am not likely to frequent the new joint either.

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis

Great news! I am still sad to see Pied is gone as I had many good times there dating back from high school.

Five Guys burgers is going into the old Pied space.

I bought my last drink before I turned 21 there...

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe