• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plea for Penzey's in the DC Area

PollyG

As most of you know, Penzeys Spices is an extraordinary culinary resource. They carry a wide variety of spices from around the world, in good shape and at reasonable prices. But the shipping can kill you if all you need is some of their ground Vietnamese cinnamon, so deliciously potent that even a sniff fills your mouth with the taste.

Penzeys is running a contest to decide where to place a new store. The metro area which sends the most postcards begging for one will get one. A few months ago I solicited help from That Other Board in bringing one to our area. I received quite a few assurances at subsequent events that cards had indeed been sent.

The summer 2004 Penzeys catalog arrived and Washington DC is in the top 20 contenders for the store. But that leaves 19 other competitors out there to beat.

It's time to spread the word to our friends, neighbors, and co-workers. The link to the contest rules is below.

Penzeys contest

Having a Penzey's store in DC would be both amazing and dangerous. As it is I find myself buying spices that haven't been used since lost ancient cultures made them popular...

I'll send a postcard. And for those who don't know Penzey spices, they are really, really good.

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar

IMHO, The Spice House is far and away a better store. Their product is the same, their service is personal and polished, they care about food as much as they care about making a sale, and the many orders I've placed on their website have all been perfectly, promptly filled.

If I had to choose between a Penzey's down the block and paying shipping for The Spice House, there's no question what I would choose.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

IMHO, The Spice House is far and away a better store.  Their product is the same, their service is personal and polished, they care about food as much as they care about making a sale, and the many orders I've placed on their website have all been perfectly, promptly filled.

If I had to choose between a Penzey's down the block and paying shipping for The Spice House, there's no question what I would choose.

Have you shopped at Penzey's, too? Would like to hear a comparative analysis from someone who has shopped at both, as I have shopped only at Penzey's so far but would be open to trying The Spice House.

Living in Chevy Chase (in Maryland) I am not sure whether a postcard from me would count toward D.C. Does one have to have a D.C. address for the postcard to be a vote for D.C.?

Living in Chevy Chase (in Maryland) I am not sure whether a postcard from me would count toward D.C. Does one have to have a D.C. address for the postcard to be a vote for D.C.?

I read on their website that you can name any city on the postcard you send in.

IMHO, The Spice House is far and away a better store.  Their product is the same, their service is personal and polished, they care about food as much as they care about making a sale, and the many orders I've placed on their website have all been perfectly, promptly filled.

Have you shopped at Penzey's, too? Would like to hear a comparative analysis from someone who has shopped at both, as I have shopped only at Penzey's so far but would be open to trying The Spice House.

YEs, I've shopped at both. In two states. And my experiences have been the same each time.

I had been a customer of Penzey's mail order, and started shopping retail at their forst store. The Penzey woman -- I can't remember her first name -- always had to show off her superior knowledge. I remember once explaining how I wanted some chipped cinnamon sticks to add to their fancy pickeling spice for my corned beef. She told me she knew better than I did and that I would be ruining her perfect spice mixture.

I always felt like I was an imposition at Penzey's. I always left feeling bad about myself. So when I read a Chicago Tribune article saying a store called The Spice House had opened on Central Street in Evanston, I immediately drove up.

At the Spice House I have always been treated as if my business was of great value. Even when I was only buying one little thing for home. I was given samples, encouraged to taste, treated like a V.I.P.. They are small enough that when I call with a question, I can talk to one of the owners -- Tom & Patty Erd -- who are incredibly knowledgable about herbs and spices. Often times I leave with a small bottle of some new herb or spice or blend with the instructions "Try this and let us know what you think."

I never got that kind of treatment from Bill Penzey. Not even close.

I won't ever shop anywhere else but The Spice House.

Aidan

OK, my postcard-vote for D.C. goes out today.

Comfort Me, if, as you say, the products at Penzey's and The Spice House are exactly the same, then I am left speechless by the price-comparison I just did for the big-ticket 16-oz double-strength Madagascar "Bourbon Islands" vanilla extract: $65.99 at penzey's, but just $52.95 at The Spice House. Apparently the same bottle and label. Hmmmm. I've got to do an item-by-item comparison! See you in a few days. :smile:

Comfort Me, if, as you say, the products at Penzey's and The Spice House are exactly the same, then I am left speechless by the price-comparison I just did for the big-ticket 16-oz double-strength Madagascar "Bourbon Islands" vanilla extract: $65.99 at penzey's, but just $52.95 at The Spice House. Apparently the same bottle and label. Hmmmm. I've got to do an item-by-item comparison! See you in a few days.  :smile:

Browniebaker;

I'm sure a lot of us would be very interested in what you find if you do an item-by-item price comparison. Even at "bargain" prices, spices are rather expensive, and if The Spice House is a better bargain (in addition to being more attentive to their customers) that would be a huge plus. Thanks for taking this on.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

At the Spice House I have always been treated as if my business was of great value.  Even when I was only buying one little thing for home.  I was given samples, encouraged to taste, treated like a V.I.P..  They are small enough that when I call with a question, I can talk to one of the owners -- Tom  & Patty Erd -- who are incredibly knowledgable about herbs and spices.  Often times I leave with a small bottle of some new herb or spice or blend with the instructions "Try this and let us know what you think." 

I never got that kind of treatment from Bill Penzey.  Not even close.

What's interesting is that Patty is a Penzey. It's mentioned on their site. I've never had a chance to get to The Spice House in Evanston, and unfortunately, the Penzeys stores in the Twin cities area close too early for me to get there after a full day when I'm in the area on business.

For me, it's all about the spices and the prices. Mail order just sucks for some items, like the ground cinnamon, which definitely does lose potency over time. Getting a local outlet for Penzeys would give me a chance to buy in smaller quantities, more often.

Edited by PollyG (log)

At the Spice House I have always been treated as if my business was of great value.  Even when I was only buying one little thing for home.  I was given samples, encouraged to taste, treated like a V.I.P..  They are small enough that when I call with a question, I can talk to one of the owners -- Tom  & Patty Erd -- who are incredibly knowledgable about herbs and spices.  Often times I leave with a small bottle of some new herb or spice or blend with the instructions "Try this and let us know what you think."  

I never got that kind of treatment from Bill Penzey.  Not even close.

What's interesting is that Patty is a Penzey. It's mentioned on their site. I've never had a chance to get to The Spice House in Evanston, and unfortunately, the Penzeys stores in the Twin cities area close too early for me to get there after a full day when I'm in the area on business.

For me, it's all about the spices and the prices. Mail order just sucks for some items, like the ground cinnamon, which definitely does lose potency over time. Getting a local outlet for Penzeys would give me a chance to buy in smaller quantities, more often.

I've never had a shipment take more than three days. Since they grind on site and in small batches, you can feel safe in the knowledge that The Spice House won't send you stale product.

And yes, Patty is a Penzey. I didn't bring it up because that would seem like I was part of the whole mishegas -- which I'm not. I've definitely taken sides -- and I have grown quite fond of Tom and Patty, but it is really about the product and the service. And I think both are better at The SPice House.

Aidan

Is the Spice House running a post card campaign to determine where to put their next store too? Or is it just Penzey? We have no spice shops in the DC area that I am aware of. You folks in Chicago should send in post card saying that they should locate their next store in DC because DC has nothing.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

I've been a Spice House fan for almost three years, ever since Patty helped me out with a complicated order for three different spice mix recipes (I was bottling them for Christmas presents). She helped me convert volumes to weights, then adjust for drastic upscaling of the recipe (I needed about four pounds of each mix, and the standard recipes each made about a half-cup). Then they ground and shipped the same day. All of this was via e-mail during the week after Thanksgiving, one of their busiest seasons.

Despite that, if I were in DC and the best shot I had was for Penzey's, I'd go for it. At the worst, it's the second-best supplier in the country, and a heck of a lot better than what you've got now.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I will mail that postcaed, competetion is good. However, I after reading about them in the food section, I got two spice blends, one was good the other just ok, so in my book their score is currently 50%.

What were the two spice blends and which was "just ok"?

OK, my postcard-vote for D.C. goes out today.

Comfort Me, if, as you say, the products at Penzey's and The Spice House are exactly the same, then I am left speechless by the price-comparison I just did for the big-ticket 16-oz double-strength Madagascar "Bourbon Islands" vanilla extract: $65.99 at penzey's, but just $52.95 at The Spice House. Apparently the same bottle and label. Hmmmm. I've got to do an item-by-item comparison! See you in a few days. :smile:

I did an item-by-item comparison of prices at Penzeys and Spice House, using just the list of items I need to buy this month. Not comprehensive, of course, but, as you will see, enough to give a good idea of which store, if any, is less expensive.

One pound of each of the following is priced as follows:

ancho chili pepper, ground: Penzeys $8.90, Spice House $9.90

basil, California sweet: Penzeys $19.58, Spice House $16.99

bell pepper, green, flakes: Penzeys $21.90, Spcie House $19.99

black Telicherry pepper, ground: Penzeys $9.90, Spice House $9.99

caraway seeds: Penzeys $5.90, Spice House $5.99

garlic powder: Penzeys $8.90, Spice House $7.99

onion powder: Penzeys $6.90, Spice House $5.99

celery flakes: Penzeys $11.99, Spice House $10.49

My conclusions? With a few exceptions, IT'S A WASH. Penzeys' prices for merchandise may be higher than Spice House's for many items, but two factors may off-set the price-differences: (1) Spice House's shipping rates are higher than Penzeys, with shipping fees maxing out at $12.95 at Penzeys and a whopping $29.95 at Spice House; and (2) it may be that Penzeys carries higher grades of certain spices, which are not available at Spice House. For example, the Vietnamese cassia cinnamon at Spice House is listed as "Vietnamese 'Saigon' cassia" and priced at $15.99. The Vietnamese cassia cinnamon at Penzeys is described as "extra-fancy Vietnamese Cassia" of "very high 6% grade," of which one is advised to use 2/3 the amount called for in a recipe, and priced at $21.90. Based on the different product descriptions and the very different prices, I think the two cinnamons are different grades. (Can anyone please tell me different? I welcome further information on this issue.)

Therefore, unless I am mail-ordering the big-ticket 16-oz double-strength Madagascar "Bourbon Islands" vanilla extract (Penzeys $65.99; Spice House $52.95) which I would mail-order from Spice House, I would not choose one store over the other based on price alone. The grades of spices and the quality of customer service are factors I would consider.

Of course, if Penzeys set up shop in D.C., my not having to pay for shipping would make my decision easy.

I will mail that postcaed, competetion is good. However, I after reading about them in the food section, I got two spice blends, one was good the other just ok, so in my book their score is currently 50%.

What were the two spice blends and which was "just ok"?

The much touted Balti Spice mix did not score.

The Vindaloo blend though produced very good results.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

• 1 month later...

I'm a newcomer to Penzey's but became hooked when I received their 'steak seasonings' gift box for graduation (a friend's response to another friend's gift of a vegetarian cookbook!). Love the spices, the packaging and prices so much that I've been usually that website for gifts constantly since then--sending the baking set, the grilling set, and the steak set. Does anyone have any other favorite gift boxes? Any favorite recipes using the steak seasonings, besides steak of course? :biggrin:

I know this isn't DC specific. I'll still try to fill out my postcard if I can, tho I'm moving to Wisconsin soon, which is Penzey land, yes?

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I know this isn't DC specific. I'll still try to fill out my postcard if I can, tho I'm moving to Wisconsin soon, which is Penzey land, yes?

Yes, it's Penzeyland, but there still are only three retail stores in the state -- Madison, Appleton, and Brookfield.

I didn't see it on their web site, but I seem to remember the catalogue mentioning an option to custom-design a gift box.

An advance welcome to The Heartland, Sara! There's a good bunch of eGulleteers here, with activities tending to center around Chicagoland. (Check out the latest Heartland Gathering/Nero W send-off thread.)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Well terrific- I'l be in Madison!! Looking forward to some good cooking.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I assume everyone is aware of the Penzeys' paprika recall. There was an article in the Sunday Washington Post and it is on their website.

I wasn't -- thanks for the heads-up. The link on Penzeys' home page is rather unobtrusive. One thinks that they would at least set it in large, if not flashing, type.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Here's the link. I'm going to see if I can post it on a general eG board as well.

Paprika Recall Expanded Over Contamination Fears

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/notice.html

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I am also a Penzey's customer, just learned of The Spice House so next time I'm in Chicago, I will stopy by.

Anyways...This past weekend I had to go to Connecticut to visit the in-laws and forced my husband to stop at the Norwalk outlet of Penzey's. I can only say that I'd love to have that store in DC!!! The clerk was very, very pleasant and of course it was very fun browsing.

So, send in your postcards! I think if you put "Metropolitan DC" that would work - I mean, people would go to Bethesda or Arlington if the store was there instead of in the city, right?!