• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Pink Pig

Random Alias

As my family lives in Florida, we make a yearly (or so) drive down I-95 to visit them. It's a 10 hour drive, and given a choice we like to break up the monotony of it by having a decent lunch rather than a quick bite at some fast food restaurant.

Usually we stop at the D&H Barbecue in Manning, SC, but this trip we left earlier than usual and that put us near Hardeeville, NC right around lunch time.

After a search online, I found The Pink Pig and decided it'd be worth a try.

http://www.southernliving.com/southern/tra...38598-4,00.html

http://www.savannahnow.com/diversions/stor...00/RSTpig.shtml

http://travel.roughguides.com/planning/jou...92&EntryID=6835

We ordered 1/2 lb of pork Ribs ($9.00) which came with coleslaw, Brunswick Stew, and a Roll. Not being a fan of Brunswick stew, I asked them to substitute some hush puppies for it. The ribs were pretty good...but different. They almost had the flavor of ham, and were certainly different then any ribs I'd had before. They had a nicely seasoned crispy exterior, and the meat was moist and pulled away from the bone easily. The flavor of the meat wasn't exactly what I think of when I think ribs, but it was good. The coleslaw was also pretty good, the hush puppies and roll weren't worth the bother.

We also ordered a Chopped Barbecue Sandwich with fries ($4.75). We asked that it be served without sauce, but it showed up with sauce...and plenty of it. Their barbecue sauce is Honey Mustard based and very, very sweet. They also had a Low Country Fire sauce which tasted an awful lot like wing sauce, and apparently a 3rd sauce called "Gullah Spice", but I didn't see it anywhere. Either ways, the chopped barbecue itself was only okay, and there really was way too much sauce on the sandwhich - esp. for my wife who found it much to sweet for her taste.

The ribs were a bit expensive for what you got, but if I were to stop there again, I'd get 2 orders of ribs, with some fries and skip the hushpuppies and chopped barbecue entirely. Just remember, the ribs are good...but different. Honestly though, next time I'd probably just try someplace in Savannah, as $25 seems a little steep for what you'd end up with there.

They also serve fried fish (catfish or flounder), shrimp, scallops and chicken fingers. The restaurant itself was plenty clean, and painted an amazingly bright pink throughout...except for the bathrooms which were painted an amazingly bright green.

Kind of a hard place to find, so here's directions:

Hardeeville is near the SC / GA border about 15 miles north of Savannah.

From I-95, Take exit 5 to 17 South, proceed about 5.5 miles.

Turn left onto Hwy 170A.

Follow 170A 3.5 miles.

The building is on the right just before a caution light.

If you've pass SR-46, you've gone to far and need to turn around.

We ordered 1/2 lb of pork Ribs ($9.00)

Are you sure that wasn't a half slab?

8 oz. for 9 bucks seems a bit steep. Although in some cases ribs can be worth that much (to me anyway :wink: ) :laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

We ordered 1/2 lb of pork Ribs ($9.00)

Are you sure that wasn't a half slab?

8 oz. for 9 bucks seems a bit steep. Although in some cases ribs can be worth that much (to me anyway :wink: ) :laugh:

Nope, it was 1/2 lb. I have a copy of the menu right here.

I guess you're paying for the Brunswick stew, coleslaw, and roll because you can order a plain pound of ribs for just $10.50 as a 'Party Size Portion', although the menu says '24 Hour Notice Please'.

But then it also says 'No substitutes' and I subsistuted, so maybe you can just buy a bunch of ribs and nothing else. Would defintely be a better deal.

Edited by Random Alias (log)

The Pink Pig is close enough to downtown Savannah that you can go there for lunch and be back in a hour. I know many people who call this their favorite BBQ. Those people must be dismissed as ill-informed, even taking into account that BBQ is subject to varying personal tastes. The meat is OK, although a little dry. The sauces are also OK, the Gullah spice being my favorite of the three because it cuts the sweet mustard sauce with some vinegar. The Brunswick stew is thin and unexceptional. Lest you think I'm down on the place, I have eaten there many times and will eat there again. Even average que is better than most of the other things that pass for lunch, and I'll certainly give this place its due as average. It has been quite crowded since receiving mention in Southern Living.

If you are a rib eater (I'm more a pulled pork person), in Savannah I recommend the Rib Hut on West Bay Street. I'm kinda prissy about my ribs; I like the St. Louis cut, which these are not. Nonetheless, the pork ribs are meaty, tender and smoky, cooked over wood and quite tasty. Ask for the hot BBQ sauce- it's peppery and, in my personal opinion (strong words to follow), the best BBQ sauce I've had.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

If you are a rib eater (I'm more a pulled pork person), in Savannah I recommend the Rib Hut on West Bay Street. I'm kinda prissy about my ribs; I like the St. Louis cut, which these are not. Nonetheless, the pork ribs are meaty, tender and smoky, cooked over wood and quite tasty. Ask for the hot BBQ sauce- it's peppery and, in my personal opinion (strong words to follow), the best BBQ sauce I've had.

I have made two visits to the Rib Hut - it was that same peppery hot sauce that dragged me back for seconds. I am one who firmly believes bbq sauce should burn a ripping hole all the way down. That peppery hot sauce is worth the price of admission, it's quite tasty, but I didn't find the ribs overly impressive, they weren't too bad, but certainly nothing to write home about.

I'm sure I'll make a stop at the Rib Hut (mainly for the sauce) the next time I'm in Savannah.

Tom