• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cellar Advice

BDWiener

All-

I am finally at a point in my life where I can buy wine faster than I can drink it. So I'm facing a storage issue.

Living in Southern California, I don't have a basement. Nor do I have a spare room to dedicate to wine.

I was thinking of buying a storage cabinet to put in my garage (which we never park our cars in, by the way) to have some climate and humidity controlled space to keep things.

I don't need anything pretty. I don't want to pay a premium for mahogany, or inlay, or glass doors for the matter.

I want something I can plug in (hopefully to a standard outlet), that will keep the most wine in the ideal conditions for the lowest cost.

What do I want to buy? And from whom?

I've been shopping around on the Internet and I daresay the experience has been akin to buying a mattress. That's not a good thing.

Thanks,

Ben

This thread has a few pics of the wine cabinet I got about a year ago. I'm still happy with it, I picked up a 50 bottle wine fridge that I keep in the kitchen with whites/sparklers at 45*F and the bigger unit is at 55*F. My only gripe with the unit is the shelving is too narrow for odd shaped bottles, which for me is only really a problem with some sparklers and the bottles of Turley. If you just want a link for what to buy and from where - west side wine cellars is where I bought my cellar from - I got the 400E.