• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ciao Bella

Pan

This afternoon, slkinsey, SarahD, Blondie, JosephB and I had a disappointing lunch at Lombardi's. After lunch, all of us except Blondie went to this gelateria on Mott St. between Houston and Prince. It's terrific! Probably the best gelato I've had in New York, and it would probably be superior quality even in Italy. I got a double cone of hazelnut and chocolate. The flavors were very concentrated. Great hazelnut flavor, and rich dark chocolate! For $4, I consider that a bargain. Only the sugar cone itself was blah, and you can always get a cup instead. Apparently, many other people agree that this place is a good value, as a line formed outside the small premises. There's no room to eat in the shop, but don't let that stop you from going!

Michael aka "Pan"

Ciao Bella, of course, is a chain.

This is not to say that its a bad chain -- I actually think they make a fairly decent mass produced gelato. Their sorbets are actually their strongest product, in my opinion.

http://www.ciaobellagelato.com/

Their stuff is centrally produced out of a factory on 40th street and they have a large distribution center and production facilty in San Francisco as well.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Probably the best gelato I've had in New York, and it would probably be superior quality even in Italy.

Pan, have you tried the famous Laboratorio del Gelato, on Orchard Street?

Easily surpasses Ciao in my opinion.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

and it would probably be superior quality even in Italy

First of all, no self respecting gelateria in Italy would EVER serve gelato that came out of a factory. All the top ones produce their gelato onsite, and if its good gelato, it doesnt stay good very long and certainly doesnt hold up well to transportation. Gelato has to go straight from the machine and into the tubs where it is held somewhat above freezing temperatures -- if it freezes, its ruined. And the best stuff doesnt have many stabilizers in it at all so that it keeps like Ciao Bella does. Its produced, put in the bins, and then sold and eaten, in fairly quick order.

So while I agree Ciao Bella produces a good commercial ice cream product when compared to some of the other crap that is out there, artisinal gelato it 'aint. No Italian would ever agree with your statement.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Have to agree with Il Laboratorio - after all, the guy was the founder of the original Ciao Bella, waited 10 years to start making gelato again, and once again produces absolutely great gelatos and ices.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Pan, if you haven't been to Il Gelatone, on Third Ave., near 28th St., you should try it. Delectible gelato made on the premises.

I believe it's been closed for a while. Hopefully I won't be required to bring photographic evidence :raz:

M

When it comes to Hazelnut gelato, I actually find Haagen-Daz (huge corporate behemoth) better than Ciao Bella. And as I recall, it has fewer and simpler ingredients than Ciao Bella as well.

I agree that this is a different product than "arisanal" gelato in Italy (and that varies rather widely as well), but factory gelato is not evil and can be rather pleasant.

Have to agree with Il Laboratorio - after all, the guy was the founder of the original Ciao Bella, waited 10 years to start making gelato again, and once again produces absolutely great gelatos and ices.

I'm a big Lab fan and think it eclipses anything in the city that I've tried, even the ice creams and sorbets that I've had in shmancy restaurants. Very, very intense flavors and almost never too sweet.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

The gelato at Ciao Bella, while not at the pinacle achieved by maybe one or two other places in the city, is definitely high quality and better than 98% of what is served around the City. One fun thing about Ciao Bella is that they are less bound by tradition than some of the other places. For example, I had "malted milk ball" gelato, which consisted of malt-flavored gelato studded with little malted milk balls. It was fun.

I'm not suggesting that Ciao Bella's product would be considered top notch in Sicily, or even compared to Il Laboratorio del Gelato. But they make a quality product, they have several locations, and it's a good place to stop by for a gelato on a warm afternoon.

--

Cones, on Bleecker, is also a favorite. Although Il Lab beats Cones on many flavors, Cones is actually open during the evening and maintains the best temperatures I've seen at a gelateria. I rarely have ice cream any time other than after a dinner-without-dessert, so as much as I think it's great Il Lab almost never gets my business.

To be clear, Ciao Bella and Il Lab have common ancestry. Jon Snyder, the owner of Il Lab, was the founder of Ciao Bella. Il Lab makes gelato to a higher, more artisanal standard (he's fanatical about his milk supply, he uses some better ingredients) than Ciao Bella, but there are noticeable similarities in the products. If you buy Il Lab gelato prepackaged at, for example, Dean & DeLuca or Grace's Marketplace, or you have it at any of a number of restaurants that Il Lab supplies, you'll be getting something not terribly far from the Ciao Bella product.

Ciao Bella, it should be noted, is a large producer but maintains a pretty good product especially in New York City because the delivery distance is only a few blocks -- last time I checked they were doing production on 40th Street and delivering to the four Manhattan stores.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

For example, I had "malted milk ball" gelato, which consisted of malt-flavored gelato studded with little malted milk balls.

Laboratorio is serving malt flavored gelato and didn't have any chunks. I might be biased toward Laboratorio because they rarely use chunks -- and pieces of anything in my gelato, except for bits of nut (in the toasted almond at Lab) or seeds (in their kiwi), are unwelcome. If I want candy, I'll get candy.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

Bussola is the best in the city. It's on 4th Ave. between 9th - 10th Sts. Second is the gelato at Otto (very very good, less traditional). Third is Cones, fourth is Il Laboratorio, but it's a distant fourth. I don't think Ciao Bella is even in the same league.

Il Gelatone no longer exists, and the last couple of times I went while it was still open, it was pretty bad.

Bussola is the best in the city. It's on 4th Ave. between 9th - 10th Sts.

Thanks, because I was trying to remember the name of this place. I asked my wife and she too couldn't recall.

But what I do remember is how great the gelato was - and I believe they're Sicilian as well (if that matters?).

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Bussola is the closest gelateria to me. I have really enjoyed their gelato but don't remember it being as concentrated a flavor as the gelato I had at Ciao Bella yesterday. I guess it may be about time to get more gelato at Bussola.

For the record, I had no idea where the gelato I had at Ciao Bella was made, and I was reacting only to its taste.

Michael aka "Pan"

The gelato at Ciao Bella, while not at the pinacle achieved by maybe one or two other places in the city, is definitely high quality and better than 98% of what is served around the City. One fun thing about Ciao Bella is that they are less bound by tradition than some of the other places. For example, I had "malted milk ball" gelato, which consisted of malt-flavored gelato studded with little malted milk balls. It was fun.

I tried the pear sorbetti at Ciao Bella a while ago and thought it not only tasted like a ripe pear, but its texture was also very similar to pear. This didn't make it especially appealing to me as sorbetti -- it made it a bit heavier than I like -- but I thought it was a very interesting product.

It's nice that there are so many good gelaterie in the city, and that whenever you're downtown, you know there is good stuff to be had with only a 5 minute walk. Is there any good gelato uptown? Celeste (UWS), I believe, gets their gelati from Bussola.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

I live a block from the Upper East Side outpost of Ciao Bella. I'd count that as very good gelato, and I agree with Pan that the Ciao Bella flavors are nicely concentrated. I don't know of any made-on-premises places on the UES, though.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say, I got a cone of Ricotta and Chocolate gelati at Bussola a few days ago, and the taste was nowhere near as concentrated as at Ciao Bella. I don't think Bussola is better.

Michael aka "Pan"

First of all, no self respecting gelateria in Italy would EVER serve gelato that came out of a factory. All the top ones produce their gelato onsite, and if its good gelato, it doesnt stay good very long and certainly doesnt hold up well to transportation. Gelato has to go straight from the machine and into the tubs where it is held somewhat above freezing temperatures -- if it freezes, its ruined. And the best stuff doesnt have many stabilizers in it at all so that it keeps like Ciao Bella does. Its produced, put in the bins, and then sold and eaten, in fairly quick order.

So while I agree Ciao Bella produces a good commercial ice cream product when compared to some of the other crap that is out there, artisinal gelato it 'aint. No Italian would ever agree with your statement.

I dont want to start a fight with you Jason, but Pan simply said that " it was the best gelato that he had in NY" he never said the best gelato ever, or that it was better than any gelato in Italy,,,,,,,,

Most people know its a chain, and while i m not for chains, i dont think your tone which sounds abit arrogant to me, is necesssary.

Jgoode, as far as ILG on orchard, it does rock. When I worked at Jefferson, we got our gelato from there. My fave is the mascarpone gelato, yummy!

Pan- I happen to like ciao bella too- their dulce de leche is awesome

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

I dont want to start a fight with you Jason, but Pan simply said that " it was the best gelato that he had in NY" he never said the best gelato ever, or that it was better than any gelato in Italy,,,,,,,,

Most people know its a chain, and while i m not for chains, i dont think your tone which sounds abit arrogant to me, is necesssary.

You just suddenly realized I'm arrogant? :laugh:

The issue I had with Pan's statement was that it was "superior quality even in Italy". It would NEVER pass for "superior quality" In Italy. Its good commercial quality ice cream. Period.

You just suddenly realized I'm arrogant? :laugh:

The issue I had with Pan's statement was that it was "superior quality even in Italy". It would NEVER pass for "superior quality" In Italy. Its good commercial quality ice cream. Period.

I guess that I missed that one line, and honestly, i ate a lot of gelato while living in Rome and if the two were served together, i m not sureif everyone would necessarily know the difference,

oh and yes, i have noticed your arrogance before, I just felt like addressing it this time. Thanks.........

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

Bussola is the best in the city. It's on 4th Ave. between 9th - 10th Sts. Second is the gelato at Otto (very very good, less traditional). Third is Cones, fourth is Il Laboratorio, but it's a distant fourth. I don't think Ciao Bella is even in the same league.

Il Gelatone no longer exists, and the last couple of times I went while it was still open, it was pretty bad.

I don't agree about Bussola, its actually made from Elenka, which is a commercial base, this base was used at Il Gelatone as well. Both places were equally mediocre. I tried to question the owner of Bussola about this, and after insisting that it was made on premises, which technically it is, he virtually ran away when I tried to ask more probing questions.

The guy who originally developed Ciao Bella, and then sold out to commercial interests, is the owner of Il Laboratorio, which has been getting generally favorable, but somewhat mixed reviews, I haven't tried it yet, nor have I tried cones, which to my understanding is really more of a conventional American ice cream in construction, not a criticism, but not gelato either.

In my view, Meredith Kurtzman's gelato at Otto stands alone in NY, and is the only gelato that merits comparison to Italy. It's too bad that the rest of the food at Otto is so mediocre, but you can go there at off hours just for the gelato.

Am I understanding you correctly to be saying that having ice cream in a cone is not regularly done with gelato in Italy? If so, that is certainly false. Loads and loads of Italians got gelato in cones in Siena and did their passeggi on the streets eating them.

Michael aka "Pan"