• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuban in Hoboken

LJC

La Isla is authentic and IMO the only one worth visiting. Bring a six pack of beer with you and enjoy. It's tight and often crowded with Cuban people. There you go.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

They definitely serve dinner! Great spot.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

La Isla is good.

But i wonder if some of you - who are fans - have ever tried La Conguita, a hop over just off Grove Street in Jersey City. Similar menu (though expanded), much more homey and neighborhood-y, even cheaper.

How far is that from the Hyatt in Jersey City?

Even though my wife and i live in Hoboken we will be staying at the Hyatt in a couple of weeks since we got a great rate ($27) and figured it would be nice to be a tourist in our local area.

If we don't head into NYC for dinner i figured we'd try the Baja's new JC location for dinner, but maybe we'll try this Cuban place for lunch so we can make the comparison to La Isla.

Please update with the address and if it's walkable from the Hyatt.

Edited by thereuare (log)

It's walkable, a good 15 minute clip, from the Hyatt.

351 Grove St, Jersey City, New Jersey

Telephone - (201) 435-6770

--

There are other Jersey City areas that you might wish to get to, and restaurants. Very decent Japanese (unbeaten by Hoboken), an excellent Italian-eat-by-the-water-expensive place (very near), and the whole Indian ghetto on Newark Ave. Plus a good Ironbound-type Portuguese.

Let me know if you want more details.

How far is that from the Hyatt in Jersey City?

Even though my wife and i live in Hoboken we will be staying at the Hyatt in a couple of weeks since we got a great rate ($27) and figured it would be nice to be a tourist in our local area.

If we don't head into NYC for dinner i figured we'd try the Baja's new JC location for dinner, but maybe we'll try this Cuban place for lunch so we can make the comparison to La Isla.

Please update with the address and if it's walkable from the Hyatt.

Both places are probably a 10 or 15 minute walk from the Hyatt.

Has anyone else eaten at the JC Baja? It's been a while since I ate at the one in Hoboken, but I distinctly recall the menu being much more diverse in Hoboken. The atmosphere is also a lot more cheerful in Hoboken. I find the food at the JC locale very touristy and ordinary. Is it my imagination that the one in Hoboken is far superior?

i just see mention of the offer off of that link, do you have a link to the offer itself?

the resteraunt in the Hyatt is pretty good... would concider Kitchen Cafe as a lunch option if you are in that are. Closer to grove, Madame Claude's and Marco & Pepe are great dinner options.

Any thoughts on the JC Baja and how it compares to the Hoboken location? We spoke the onwer of the restaurant in Hoboken a few months ago and he was describing the atmosphere as being very cool. (which contradicts Glenn's comments above)

The JC Hyatt is often (not always) available via Priceline for $32-$37/nite. There was $10 Bonus Money available that somebody posted at the site linked aboved. I used that and bid $27 (+$10) and it was accepted... figured for that price i couldn't resist sleeping someplace else for the nite and exploring a new area that is actually very nearby.

Probably won't try the Hyatt's restaurant (the Vue) as i tend to avoid hotel restaurants and i'd rather try to support an owner operated restaurant in the local community.

There are other Jersey City areas that you might wish to get to, and restaurants. Very decent Japanese (unbeaten by Hoboken), an excellent Italian-eat-by-the-water-expensive place (very near), and the whole Indian ghetto on Newark Ave. Plus a good Ironbound-type Portuguese.

I'll take recos on anything in the area... if we don't try them this time than perhaps the next go-round. It's not too far away so if i find something great i don't mind 'traveling' for it.

fantastic Cuban joint on Washington St. and 2nd. Does anyone know the name of the place?

i-scallop.jpg

La Isla, and you can see more photos of it here:

La Isla Dinner Photos

They very definitely serve dinner. There's a printed menu with some very good dishes, but the realy glory is the daily insert - you'll generally feast on exquisitely conceived and wonderfully executed dishes by ordering off this menu. It's BYO as well, and the opportunities for food and wine pairing, if you're into that, are fabulous as well.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

To follow-up on my visit:

Had lunch at Lombardi's, a meatball parm hero and a chicken parm hero. Chicken was much better than the meatball, although the cheese (homemade mozzarella) on each was very good. Owners and staff very friendly, although i wouldn't leave Hoboken for either of these sandwiches (as i enjoy my local sub places here better)... but if you're in the area it's a solid place to stop at.

Before ending up at Lombardi's had tried to get to the 2nd Street Bakery but they were closed.

For dinner ended up at the Baja. Due to the late lunch (and me eating half of my wife's sandwich in addition to my own :smile: ) we weren't hungry enough to order the "Baja Special Platter" so i ordered the steak fajitas while my wife had a salad with grilled chicken. The steak on my fajitas were just as good as what is served on the platter and it was just the right size for how hungry i was, which was nice that i didn't overstuff myself as i usually do with the platter at the Hoboken location. Service was standard of what should be expected and although the place isn't as 'hip' as the Hoboken location (and perhaps a bit 'kitchy') it was better lit and more relaxing. More importantly, there was no wait at 9pm on a Saturday nite... a time where the Hoboken location would have you waitng in a over-crowded bar for 90+ minutes! On future weekend nites when we are craving Baja food we may even take the ride to JC instead of dealing with the crowd and wait in Hoboken. Restaurant validates parking for up to 3 hours, but is also easily accessible from the Light Rail or Exchange Place PATH train.

• 1 month later...
La Isla is good.

But i wonder if some of you - who are fans - have ever tried La Conguita, a hop over just off Grove Street in Jersey City. Similar menu (though expanded), much more homey and neighborhood-y, even cheaper.

I know there's a more detailed discussion of this some other place. I think. But anyhow, whatever, we went there for lunch today. It was our first time there since they renovated a year or so ago. The history of this place so much reminds me of La Isla, not that I pretend to know all the facts. In a nutshell, they've both been around a long long time and were both sort of holes in the wall with good food. Then each renovated and expanded their menus.

Btw, La Conguita is on Grove, not a "hop over." Sorry to get technical. It's on the corner of Grove and Bay. La Conguita seems to attract more of a Spanish clientele than La Isla, which gave me a good feeling. We were the only gringos there and it was fairly crowded. The offerings are very standard -- no trendy dishes like La Isla. That's not a good or a bad, just the facts. Another difference is they have more tables, though service seemed spotty. Glad we sat at the counter. Great decor too. I had a cuban sandwich with the best empenada I ever had EVER, while Anabelle had pork, rice & beans and plaintains. Her dish was really incredile and I think I had more of it than her. The food is 1000 times better than it was before they renovated. I don't know if they changed chefs, but ownership is the same, a family it seems. They also have a liqour license, though we didn't drink or see the wine menu (or if there is one). Actually, I had a mango shake which was great. The best part of all (for me) was their prices. $20 including tax and tip. An espresso is only 75 cents! A tea is also 75 cents, which doesn't make sense, but who's arguing?

I can't believe it took me a year to get there -- this place is a real jewel. Rest assured I'll be going there for dinner very soon.

OK, i'll being giving it a shot in the next few weeks... sounds like it's worth the PATH ride (or if the weather is nice i'll go for a looong walk).

BTW, i recently had a disappointing meal at the Baja in Hoboken. I have long been an advocate of this restaurant but things have been getting so spotty that i've had more overall 'marginal' meals there than 'good' ones. We're going to try to 'write off' the Hoboken location for some time to come and stick with the JC location... more trouble for us to get to, but hoping things more consistent there as well as not likely a long wait.

QUESTION: why is the area by the Baja and Oddfellows suddenly 'booming'? Obviously something is going on or coming to this area, but i couldn't see what it was or where it would be?!?! The area seemed very quiet when we were there (on a Saturday nite) but i'm sure something is happening that i'm not seeing since both the Baja and Oddfellows recently opened (i'm sure with considerable investments needed). Are there plans to turn some of the lots in the area into mid/hi-rise condos?

Chalk it up to the proliferation of commercial buildings, most notably Goldman Sachs, now sporting the tallest building in New Jersey (and blocking lots of views!) I have not heard about any new residential construction in that area, though there is more going on by Newport. There are many new businesses, cafes and restaurants opening up in the entire downtown area and just outside. Health food stores, upscale delis, etc. seem to be opening up everywhere. Many of them are on side streets and aren't so obvious.

I have a feeling that many of the restaurants on or near Montgomery Street by the river thrive on business from workers in the area and do most of their business during the week at lunch time. We've been to Oddfellows and Baja at least 15 times between the two of them, mostly weekend evenings. Not once did we have to wait for a table and very often they weren't half full. That's the draw for us, not the food. Which leads me to your comment on Baja. It's been a long time since I've been to the one in Hoboken, but if my 1 good brain cell remembers correctly, it has a far more interesting menu than the one in JC. As far as I'm concerned, Baja in JC is 1 step above fast food, and not a big step. There is nothing interesting on the menu and there is nothing authentic. The only good things about that place are the sangria and the good service (because it's never croweded.) Or have I said all that before?

I believe the menus are identical, but it doesn't matter as there is really only one item on the menu to order... The Baja Special (and ask for all the shrimp to be grilled). I have met many in town here that said that the Baja is 'ok' but then i tell them to order this platter and sure enough they're hooked. Unfortunately, this was before the downslide of the Hoboken location, which i assume has started to cut some corners and pay less attention now that the uptown area is thriving with the new condos. I was actually upset enough after my last meal there to send them an email but haven't heard back from them at all.

If you're not hungry enough for the above 'special' (it's a LOT of food) then at the very least order steak fajitas... there are 2 types on the menu, order the one that comes on the above mentioned platter, as it's very tender and whatever ti's marinated in gives it some great flavor.

Hopefully you'll try the above platter (ordered by the person for two or more... but if there are 4 in your party then you can easily order it for 3 and still have food left over).

I had thought that perhpas the new businesses (Wall St. West) were what was drawing the new restaurants, but it seemed just a little far for employees to go to during lunch (or for lunch meetings to be held).

As far as I'm concerned, Baja in JC is 1 step above fast food, and not a big step.  There is nothing interesting on the menu and there is nothing authentic.

yup. sounds like the same menu as the hoboken location. :biggrin:

i can only hope the margaritas are as good (and that they're still good at in hoboken).

Baja special is described as:

"A feast of fajita beef, chicken, and shrimp on a bed of lettuce, topped with onions, tomatoes, peppers, sour cream and quacamole. Served with rice, beans and flour or corn torillas. The perfect combination to explore the best of Baja!"

i recall some of the shrimp as shrimp parm.

Edited by tommy (log)

Ahhh.. La Isla...a gem. Zafra in Hoboken is also good, but it is not La Isla. I heard Zafra opened a new restaurant in Hoboken that features latin cuisine from varied countries...I heard it was very good...the name is something like Churasco..not sure exactly. I have not gone yet but will soon. Tomorrow night I am dining at what is reported to be the best Italian in Hoboken...Augustino's. I hope so, it would be great to find good Italian in Hoboken.

Augustino's is very good... i wouldn't go so far as to call it great, but it's definately a quality place. Bring cash as they don't accept any credit cards.

Yes, Zafra opened a new place and although i'm not sure of the exact name, your mention above is close enough to know that we're talking about the same place. I know some really like Zafra, but i'm not a fan... service is notoriously bad and i got sick from the food last time there (my experience is somewhere in the archives here). Why waste my time (or money) there when i can just as easily go to La Isla.

Their new retaurant looks nice from the outside, albeit a bit out of place... it's a bit too nice for being off the beaten path. They advertise a brick oven so i thought that they also served pizzas, but given that they don't have a menu in the window by the door (bad move guys!) i can't say for sure. I did walk inside to try to see the menu but they were busy and nobody by the door to speak to... i'll give it a shot if i hear good things even though it looks very trendy.

Edited by thereuare (log)