• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Fine Wines

GordonCooks

woy.jpg

Wines of the Year?, scratch that, Red Wines of the Year?

It was the best of wines, it was the worst of wines…I just love Dickens. Well, a friend and I were discussing modern barrique aged Chianti and various delicious Italian wines that have passed over our lips (both us realizing we know barely enough to appear intelligent). He posed the question “what’s the best wine you’ve had this year? Whenever I have a great bottle, I save the empty for posterity. Here what was behind the downstairs bar. I (lucky me, the year isn’t even half over)

1991 Opus One:

I’m not an opus fan by any means (you could say I’m a detractor) I was ready to dismiss this wine but the nose was quite complex with a lot of dried herb, vanilla, and cassis. Full-bodied, with restrained fruit (for a Cal Cab) and wonderful mouth feel. Extremely balanced considering the amount of tannin you could put your finger on. Excellent

-

1996 Diamond Creek “Gravelly Meadow”

This Diamond Creek is very Medoc-style cabernet. Earthy and demure – I always think it’s left bank until the berries show up. Still a lot of tannin and I think this wine could go another 5 years. Delicious

-

1995 Penfold’s Grange

Enormous! Plum, blackberry, currant, chocolate, pepper, cigar box, licorice, mint, etc..all living in harmony (more layers of flavors that you could imagine). The finish lasts for 3 days. The may be the best I have all year.

-

1986 Chateau LaTour

Down to my last few bottles - I wish I could keep my hands off it. Every bottle improves in depth. It’s a voluptuous wine with mucho cassis, tobacco, wild game, saddle, etc . This wine finishes like it starts – one, long symphony. As it reaches its peak, it makes me wish I had more money.

-

1990 Cos D’Estournel

Bing Cherries, dark fruit, anise, a little mineral. Round and ripe with silky tannins and a lingering finish. May not be the best of the year but a great one no doubt.