• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No to Wal-Mart Supercenter

ExtraMSG

A standard proceedure of Wal-Mart is to open several stores within a few miles of each other, see which one gets the most trade, and then close down the others. Meanwhile the lesser Wal-Marts have already cleared away the competition, so that the one surviving behemoth is the only option within miles.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

Billings is a town of a little less than 100,000 people, albeit spread out over a 15-20 mile stretch along the Yellowstone River,and the Rimrock. When I first got here in 1999, I was thrilled to find a Gibson's, which every good Texan would recognise as a state institution to generations down South. There were also, as close as my SO (a native) and I can reckon, 14 different grocery stores. First Gibson's went away after about 8 months of 2 Walmarts in Billings. Then the grocery stores started tumbling. We've now got five still struggling.

Beside that impact, I see something else about WalMart that I've not seen mentioned. I put in time at our food bank. We have a main repository, which then allocates as per need to the five other local distributors. We used to have a very good all-around participation from all of our grocerys. But we have far less donations now--obviously--however, allow me to say, I've never seen ANY WalMart products, and their so-trumpeted civic participation amounts to frogspit.

John spoke the truth about their modus operandi; the Heights WalMart is fixing to close as we discuss.

What gripes the piss out of me is how the big boys manage to get tax cuts that small purveyors would be laughed out of commissioner's hearings over.

Now I will go get my paperbag and breathe real slow.....

Edited by Mabelline (log)

Billings is a town of a little less than 100,000 people, albeit spread out over a 15-20 mile stretch along the Yellowstone River,and the Rimrock.

That's odd. The only time I've ever been inside a WalMart, it was in Billings.

Montana. :wub:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Indeed, Chris, I have only half-jokingly mused that in 20 years, WalMart will RULE THE WORLD :sad:

In 40 years, Wal-Mart will be the world. :sad:

I found it ironic that when I turned onto the street today, 1/2 mile from my home I saw a sign....it simply stated "Wal Mart superstore opening here soon"....Great :sad:

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

"Wal Mart superstore opening here soon

Wal Mart should just save themselves some money and post this sign as you pass through customs at all port of entry to the US. It would, after all, be true. :hmmm:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...