• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Wine?

beans

Nary a forum to escape my spirited posts regarding this spiritous holiday. :raz:

Every year around this time, e-mails start pouring in from wine lovers around the country asking what wines to serve with corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day.

I roll my eyes with such intensity that I strain whatever facial muscles you use to roll your eyes, and then I formulate a sarcastic reply. "A little Chardonnay is always good," I wrote to one person this year, "especially with a couple of drops of green food coloring."

Sometimes I go slightly over the top and recommend some unbearably expensive wine I know no one in their right mind would ever buy, except perhaps someone drunk on Guinness or intent on matching Irish cuisine with wine.

:laugh:

Story here.

Well, there is Portugal's Vinho Verde, which translates literally as Green Wine. But I'm not sure I'd pair it with corned beef and cabbage. :smile:

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero