• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Becky R

Becky R

2 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Good to see you on eGullet.  From our phone conversation I know you have already been down many of the rabbit holes on this forum, so it's too late to warn you about that pitfall.

Using freeze-dried eggnog sounds like an interesting possibility.  I'm currently swamped with Thanksgiving and Christmas chocolates and so don't have time to experiment, but I would like to do so after December 25.    After the post quoted above, I took a couple of Kalle Jungstedt's online courses, and he has a section on cookie layers.  Many people call them praliné layers, but they don't have to contain nuts.  So when I needed a crème brûlée bonbon for an October wedding (in my area October now sometimes seems like August), I tried Jungstedt's idea.  I had some of the ground caramel in the freezer.  I mixed that with melted white chocolate and cocoa butter plus a little feuilletine, then piped that on top of the vanilla ganache.  It worked surprisingly well--the caramel bits maintained some of their crunch and did not have a chance to clump together, and the "mouth impression" of the layer was close to the caramel crunch of the original dessert.  The layer, however, ends up on the bottom, rather than the top, of the bonbon.  Aside from that minor issue, the layer doesn't have the close approximation to a crème brûlée caramel layer that the ground caramel alone does.

Great, just let me know.  I just did a simple filling with white chocolate, cream cheese and freeze dried strawberry powder/pieces.  Some of the pieces are large enough that I'll be able to see if they stay kind of crunchy or not.  Might give us some clues...  HOPEFULLY my shell temper worked... still not very confident, but I did figure out how to Sous Vide my own silk, so that's something right?

Becky R

Becky R

2 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Good to see you on eGullet.  From our phone conversation I know you have already been down many of the rabbit holes on this forum, so it's too late to warn you about that pitfall.

Using freeze-dried eggnog sounds like an interesting possibility.  I'm currently swamped with Thanksgiving and Christmas chocolates and so don't have time to experiment, but I would like to do so after December 25.    After the post quoted above, I took a couple of Kalle Jungstedt's online courses, and he has a section on cookie layers.  Many people call them praliné layers, but they don't have to contain nuts.  So when I needed a crème brûlée bonbon for an October wedding (in my area October now sometimes seems like August), I tried Jungstedt's idea.  I had some of the ground caramel in the freezer.  I mixed that with melted white chocolate and cocoa butter plus a little feuilletine, then piped that on top of the vanilla ganache.  It worked surprisingly well--the caramel bits maintained some of their crunch and did not have a chance to clump together, and the "mouth impression" of the layer was close to the caramel crunch of the original dessert.  The layer, however, ends up on the bottom, rather than the top, of the bonbon.  Aside from that minor issue, the layer doesn't have the close approximation to a crème brûlée caramel layer that the ground caramel alone does.

Great, just let me know.  I just did a simple filling with white chocolate, cream cheese and freeze dried strawberry powder/pieces.  Some of the pieces are large enough that I'll be able to see if they stay kind of crunch or not.  Might give us some clues...  HOPEFULLY my shell temper worked... still not very confident, but I did figure out how to Sous Vide my own silk, so that's something right?