• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PDX bbq

We had heard about a fairly new bbq place in Lake Oswego and decided to try to find it. We had heard it was on Ave A and spent some time looking for it yesterday and couldn't find it. Finally pulled into a Shell and asked where it could be. The attendant pointed us towards Two Brothers Mexican and Texas BBQ and said it was good stuff. It wasn't the place we were looking for but decided to give it a try. A warning to you all "Do not give this place a try!!". No smoke on the meat and swimming in a very sweet sauce.

On the way home after that meal we drove down Ave B and saw the place we were looking for and the owner out front tending about 5 barrel pits. We went back today and had one of the better bbq meals I've had in the area. Its easily as good, and I think better, than the top spots in Portland. We tried the brisket, pork ribs, and chicken and all were good. The prices are typical $6 - $12.

The name is Logans Backyard BBQ and its on Ave B around 4th. If you can find the Safeway its behind that on Ave B.

Rodney

Tried it today. And sorry, Rodney, but I have to disagree. I had their mesquite combo with tri-tip, beef rib, pork rib, and chicken thigh and one side for $9. The prices seem fair but the bbq was mediocre. I'd put it slightly below Buster's. It's more like decent picnic or backyard bbq (which makes the name appropriate).

I like the crusty exterior, but both the beef and pork ribs were dry and a bit tough. The tri-tip was okay, but not really juicy or tender. The best item was the chicken. It was actually pretty good.

Nothing had any noticeable smokiness to it. At least not in any meaningful way. Buster's is smokier. That's part of the reason I say it's more like picnic bbq, ie, grilling, than real bbq.

He had a lot of great Q books in his store, but he might need to re-read them, especially Walsh's Legends book.

You never know. It could have been an off day or moment. I did go at about 2 pm, not a busy time and stuff may have been sitting. But even the worst shouldn't be that bad. It was still a big step up from Big Daddy's -- which just shows how bad that place is. But unless someone repeats your results, I won't be back.

btw, I took some pics and I'll try to put them up later.

Edited by ExtraMSG (log)

Tried it today. And sorry, Rodney, but I have to disagree. I had their mesquite combo with tri-tip, beef rib, pork rib, and chicken thigh and one side for $9. The prices seem fair but the bbq was mediocre. I'd put it slightly below Buster's. It's more like decent picnic or backyard bbq (which makes the name appropriate).

I like the crusty exterior, but both the beef and pork ribs were dry and a bit tough. The tri-tip was okay, but not really juicy or tender. The best item was the chicken. It was actually pretty good.

Nothing had any noticeable smokiness to it. At least not in any meaningful way. Buster's is smokier. That's part of the reason I say it's more like picnic bbq, ie, grilling, than real bbq.

He had a lot of great Q books in his store, but he might need to re-read them, especially Walsh's Legends book.

You never know. It could have been an off day or moment. I did go at about 2 pm, not a busy time and stuff may have been sitting. But even the worst shouldn't be that bad. It was still a big step up from Big Daddy's -- which just shows how bad that place is. But unless someone repeats your results, I won't be back.

btw, I took some pics and I'll try to put them up later.

I was mostly comparing it to Campbells because that was still fresh in my mind from eating there the week before. Campbells was indeed smokier but the meat was so dry that it subtracted from the extra smokiness. I think that is usually hidden at Campbells because they will drown their meat in sauce unless you stop them and Logans barely sauces their meat.

My ribs were not dry at Logans the other day and the brisket was much better than that at Cambells. Maybe from a northwest point of view you would like the others places better.

To each his own but I would take Logans over YamYams or Campbells.

Rodney

Hmmm. I strongly disagree with that then. I think Campbell's best thing is their brisket and sliced pork and that they're pretty tender and juicy for those cuts. I get their pork ribs most, however, because that's the Q I prefer. Campbell's has some solidly good things about their ribs: 1) they're not overly fatty, 2) they have a nice crust on them, 3) they're noticeably smoky but not overwhelmingly so. Oh, btw, I always get sauce on the side everywhere I go. They could be a bit more tender and a bit more juicy, but they're comparable to places like Sonny Bryan's in Dallas. I don't think most Texans would consider them the best in the state, but they're certainly representative of solid Q and have been a standard-bearer for a long time.

I'm actually more impressed by Campbell's every time I go there. After that last head to head between them and Yam Yam's it was clear to me they were the overall leader. I would need to try Logans again to know if it's any good, but I've never had bbq even close to that bad any of the times I've been to Yam Yam's or Campbell's. I think Cannon's and Reo's have always been better than what I had today.

I'd be interested in hearing other comments. I hope some people will check it out and report back. I'd love to be proved wrong, because the more good Q options the better, imo.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried Logans over the weekend and thought it was mediocre. No smokiness and the sauce (what there was of it) was not very tasty. I don't think he slow smokes his meat I think he grills it which is different and can be good if the rub is good but I didn't really catch much flavor from his rub.

BTW we ordered the pork ribs - with the smashed potatoes and baked beans as sides. Both of those were not very good either - and sadly we had to add salt to everything for some taste. Never a good sign with BBQ.

I am sorry to report that cause the guy seemed very nice and other customers there really were enthused about the food.