• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Schnecken with Ann Amernick

DonRocks

Read on the other board that Amernick is closing & there are only two days left of operation.  Does anyone have more info?  Very sad if true! :sad:

Amernick has sold the bakery. It was bought by a guy who was the head baker at breadline (maybe, or was it marvelous market?).

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

Very, very sad news.... :sad:

Ann did our wedding cake in May and I'm still getting raves from the guests.

What am I going to do for our anniversery???? (That top layer got eaten pretty quickly...as did the second layer....) I just assumed I'd order a replica....

And what about my birthday next month???? I told Mr. BLB months ago that I wanted one of her cakes.

Sigh....

I did go in today and bought several carmels and cupcakes and toll house cookies just out of the oven.

But I never did get to try the chocolate babka and we didn't get a pie at Thanksgiving because we were out of town... etc....

I'm just glad I was "working" from home today so I could throw on sweats and rush down to stock up.

You know, I was in on Monday and they didn't say a word.

I'm going to go sit in a corner with my cookies and be depressed. I wonder if the mailman has delivered my next Gilmore Girls DVD from Netflix yet...

Jennifer

Saturday at Amernick, I ordered a dozen black-and-white cookies to freeze, and got a piece of my beloved black-olive pizza focaccia and a Baltimore cake for lunch. I ran into a friend of mine there who knows Ann, and when she came over to the counter, we said a very touching goodbye to her, and walked out the door for the final time.

My friend and I decided to have lunch down the street, so it wasn't until later that afternoon when I had the focaccia - I had just gotten into my car after playing tennis, and decided to enjoy it on the way home. As I was driving around the beltway, I got to the very last morsel, and with reluctance, I let it leave my hand. When I nipped into it, I bit directly into an olive pit, muttered an obscenity, and heard a faint laughter in the background that I'm certain came from Ann.

None of us can know the real details of Anns business and personal life, but from what I've read in this thread it seems like she did herself in. I can understand how one can get burned out and beaten down in the bakery business. Retail bakeries are about a lot of little sales and anyone opening a bakery ought to know that before opening their doors. There's so many pastry people that would have given anything to have Ann's success. I think life is full of compromises and if you don't ever make compromises your handicapping yourself without realizing it.

Too much of what I've read here doesn't sit well with me. Owning your own business and enjoying being able to tell people it's my way or the highway is childish. You can't control other people, only the way you respond to them. Granted I'm no angel, but for goodness sake every job has you kissing someone's tail so you might as well do so for your own profit and personal benefit.