• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Campbell's vs. Progresso

SobaAddict70

I've never found any canned soup to be even close to tasting like real soup (except for some expensive bisques), so I judge canned soups in a separate category. I love Campbell's homestyle chicken noodle, chicken and rice, and chicken and stars, but as a food all it's own not to be compared to homemade soup. Any canned soup that tries approximate homemade soup is bound to fail, which is why I think Progresso is so inedible.

What's really awful is that the one Progresso I was really impressed with--their lentil soup--has changed. Now it's really, really yucky. The front of the can claims that all they did was add more lentils, but they must have done something else. The flavor is completely off.

suc cin ic ac id

noun

naturally occuring acid:

a colorless odorless acid synthesized or derived from amber and the tissues of plants and animals. It is used in making lacquers, perfumes, and pharmaceuticals.

Have you had your succinic acid today?

• 4 weeks later...
What's really awful is that the one Progresso I was really impressed with--their lentil soup--has changed. Now it's really, really yucky. The front of the can claims that all they did was add more lentils, but they must have done something else. The flavor is completely off.

I noticed in a F&W a few months ago that Thomas Keller's partner was interviewed and she mentioned Progresso Lentil soup favorably for when the two of them don't want to cook. It actually made me think about purchasing some to try, since what higher compliment could you give to a soup!?.... I wonder if their opinions will be changing soon....

On the industrial-strength carrots - I've noticed when nuking Progresso soups that the carrot pieces explode rather messily while heating. Is this normal for carrots in general? Normally I wouldn't be nuking carrots except when they're in soup.... so just curious.

Andrea

Cedar Crest, NM

http://tenacity.net

Edited by misstenacity (log)

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

I buy Progresso and add a little or a lot of Tabasco and sometimes something like celery seed with a strong flavor. (I had a friend whose mother told her, if a recipe ever tastes really bad, add Tabasco. If it still tastes bad, add more. Just keep adding Tabasco and eventually it will be edible.)

Progresso tastes less salty to me (I agree, best to skim the fat globules off). I won't buy the lentil variety. When I first bought Progresso, moving on from the Campbells of childhood (my mother was insulted, she raised me on Campbells and had Campbell kids paper dolls I think), I tried a can of tomato basil and one of lentil. Tomato basil was fine, at least it was then, but the lentil made me sick to my stomach on a day when I felt really great. I have never wanted to try it again in case it was the soup and not me.

I rarely eat canned soup, but I keep it on hand for my 23 year-old son. He prefers Campbells over Progresso, but he only eats certain varities - chicken with any kind of noodle, veg beef, clam chowder. I'm not sure why he doesn't like the Progresso, unless it's one of those 'childhood' things. I sometimes fed my kids soup for lunch when they were little.

I had Campbells' soup spoons - one with the boy and one with the girl - when I was a kid. My mom probably save up 4000 labels and sent them in to get free spoons.

Stop Family Violence