• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Union Square Café

mikec

Went to USC for the start of restaurant week (my first time). They did a nice job, giving 4 options for each of the 3 courses. I settled on:

- Apple, Caramelized Onion, and Thyme Risotto with Taleggio and Parmegiana-Reggiano

- Marinated Sirloin Kebabs with Spinach-Gorgonzola Bread Pudding and Gorgonzola Sauce

- Frozen Key Lime Parfait

All very good. I think I will try a dinner there some time.

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

• 4 weeks later...

Made it to USC for lunch today....party size was 5 and this was my first time at USC. To start off we got the cheese plate which was delicious. There were 3 cheeses, and some sort of jelly that was a little spicy. A great way to start the meal. The dinner entrees that were ordered were hamburgers, tuna burger and the chefs special which was some sort of steak over a salad. I had the tuna burger which was excellent, and I tasted the hamburger which was excellent as well. I partucularly enjoyed the home made role. For desserts the baked alaskan and apple crisp were ordered. I definitel want to go back to USC for dinner.

• 3 months later...

Some new USC pictures:

gallery_2_3035_253558.jpg

The bar, which features an excellent wine program by Beverage Director Christopher Russell.

gallery_2_3035_144833.jpg

A view of the sunken main dining room from the bar area.

gallery_2_3035_194883.jpg

The main dining room is a warm and comfy space.

gallery_2_3035_9849.jpg

Hot Garlic Potato Chips. Fresh fried potato chips are a signature of two Danny Meyer restaurants, originated here at USC and also at Blue Smoke.

gallery_2_3035_160037.jpg

Frascatelli Alla Carbonara, Handmade Tiny Semolina Dumplings, Guanciale, Cream and Pecorino Romano

gallery_2_3035_27892.jpg

Three-Onion Risotto with Caramelized Vidalias, Greenmarket Spring Onions, Chives and Parmigiano-Reggiano

gallery_2_3035_26191.jpg

This was a phenomenal (hot) beet soup special.

gallery_2_3035_227103.jpg

Cherry Lane Farms Shaved Asparagus Salad with Lemon Juice, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Pecorino Romano, and Cracked Black Pepper

gallery_2_3035_201991.jpg

This is a Louisiana soft shell crab special with saffron rice.

gallery_2_3035_35017.jpg

Pan-Roasted Spring Young Chicken with English Peas, Wild Mushrooms, Robiola Polenta and Chicken Jus

gallery_2_3035_306101.jpg

Grilled Smoked Cedar River Shell Steak with Mashed Potatoes and Frizzled Leeks

gallery_2_3035_87624.jpg

Pastry Chef Emily Isaac's "Ethereal" Coconut Cream Pie

gallery_2_3035_124264.jpg

Fresh Strawberry Tart

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I can heartily endorse that three-onion risotto - best restaurant risotto I've had in long time.

I'm curious about the smoked steak - just how smoky is it? What is your guess as to how it is prepared? I tend to go for lunch on Saturday, and that's one of the heartier things on the menu, but I've never gotten around to ordering it.

It's very smoky. Cold smoked for a few hours and then its grilled to order.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

looks good, Jason. USC has always been a place for good solid American cooking, nothing too adventurous, but good nevertheless. In would be much more excited about it if I lived in NYC or if it was in a different city itself.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 months later...

Had dinner last evening with my wife. Food and service were top-notch as usual. But I must relay two totally different events that occurred. One is very, very amusing. The other showcases the level of customer service at USC.

We were seated in the small room directly behind the bar (my favorite) and directly across from us sat a couple (30s, early 40s). During the entire 2 hours (they were on dinner when we were seated) of their stay, they were making out. And I don't mean just a kiss or something, but really going at it.

At one point a waiter, who was serving the table next to them, tripped on one of the woman's shoes (she had both off). It was really dinner and a show. Unfortunately for me, I was in a direct line and try as I might to ignore them, it was impossible as they were always in my line of sight. A few times I had to completely turn my head to avoid laughing.

After they left, I asked our waiter if the crew had a good time joking about them. He said is was the talk of the BOH. Even the cooks wanted to know what was happening next. They really needed to get a room - in a hurry. When another couple was immediately seated in the corner, I was tempted to suggest they spray the area to cool it down. This was really dinner and a show with no cover charge.

The other incident occurred when my wife and I ordered the cheese plate for dessert. It took a little long to arrive (10-15 minutes). We never said a word because we were talking and sipping the rest of our wine, but the waiter and hostess came over separately to apologize for the delay. We told them it was fine, we weren't in a hurry.

When the cheese plate arrived, our waiter brought two glasses of chianti for us, saying we probably drank more wine while waiting and hoped this made up for the delay. And since we were drinking a California Sangiovese, he kept us with the same grape. We thanked him and were totally impressed - remarkable customer service for such a minor glitch.

All in all a typical NYC evening - great food, terrific wine, outstanding service and a good helping of spice.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Oh, that's hilarious! Shoes off, too, eh?

You know, I've always chalked up one of my best dinners in NY to Union Square Cafe - not so much because of the food or wine (though I had no complaints), but to the service. It was my birthday, first time there, and I was accompanied by a cranky vegetarian (which usually made it difficult to dine out at nice places). They rolled out the red carpet for him, and he ended up so well-fed and happy that I was able to relax and enjoy myself completely. Best birthday present I could have had, really.

I agree that the food quality is bolstered by atmosphere at USQ. I did a birthday dinner there too. When they put the wrong name in chocolate on the dessert plate, I complained after the fact and ended up getting a $100 gift certificate for our trouble.

We were in town last weekend and ended up there twice -- Friday night for dessert and drinks, and Sunday for lunch. Ate at the bar both times and the bartenders were polite and attentive, making it a really pleasant experience.

And man, that was a good cheese plate. Not to mention the gnudi.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media