• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Friday Night Casual in New Brunswick

Rich Pawlak

We're meeting another couple on Friday night, and looking for some suggestions in New Brunswick. Something casual, moderate in price with decent food and drink.

Not Old Bay or Harvest Moon, to which we've been previously with mixed results.

Thanks!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Toscana might fill your bill, though we weren't all that thrilled with it when we tried it about a year ago.

There's also a new Chinese restaurant on Livingston Ave. that replaced Szechwan Gourmet, but we haven't tried it yet.

If you're not going to the theater, Sophie's Bistro is about 10 or 15 minutes away from downtown New Brunswick (depending on traffic, lights, and what we call "student slalom"). We just had dinner there on Thursday evening and enjoyed it, despite having to rush to make our curtain - our bad timing, certainly not the fault of the serving staff (who graciously accommodated us). This place is a casual French bistro with good food, a bar/wine list, and lovely desserts if you have time/room (we didn't this time, sigh). It's a place best savored; therefore ether allow sufficient time if you have show tickets or reserve accordingly.

That said, a reservation for a Friday evening wouldn't be a bad idea. We arrived shortly after 6:30 on Thursday (without a reservation) and there weren't many empty tables.

Soho on George, for sure. Dinner is professional and ontop...lunch service has a lot to be desired. Tumultys is uber casual, iceberg quarters is the salad, good but not great burgers. Rafferty's has an extensive menu. Old Bay is quasi Cajun, fun martinis, casual, had a strong beer list when I was last there..a mardi-gras type atmosphere. If willing to travel, Rosie always recommends 7 Hills of Istanbul in Highland Park..maybe 5 minutes away...I have foodie friends who SWEAR by it. I'd also look itno Clydz, fun game oriented menu, and martinis, pretty bar.

Thanks all, I have by due diligence to do!

I assume 7 Hills is Turkish; and where the HELL is Sophie's Bistro (exactly)?

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

I assume 7 Hills is Turkish; and where the HELL is Sophie's Bistro (exactly)?

Yes, 7 Hills is Turkish. It might be BYO (Rosie can verify), which is why I didn't suggest it, since you seemed to be looking for a place with a bar.

As for Sophie's... If you're at all familiar with New Brunswick, take George St. away from Livingston Ave. to the intersection with Hamilton Street - The Art Museum is on the left and J&J is on the right at this light. Hang a left and keep on going. :smile: The restaurant will be on your left, a yellow building with blue shutters and connected to a club called The Den.

Please let me know if I've confused you further. (Sorry, I don't have the exact address on hand right now.)

Edited by Helena Robinson (log)

Sophie's Bistro 700 Hamilton St, Somerset 732-545-7778

Thanks, Rosie! And Kim! And everyone else.

But tell me, Rosie, about this Istanbul place!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

I can recommend Seven Hills. This restaurant is fancier than the other Turkish storefront restaurants. Waiters are in costume and the place is decorated nicely. For appetizers we like the sample plate and a coban salad with feta cheese. The plate contains green beans in olive oil; white beans in olive oil; grilled eggplant salad; humus; rolled pastry with feta cheese that had been fried; and a fresh artichoke. For entrees we have liked the tender lamb kabob; Iskender which is thin slices of beef and/or lamb over Turkish bread with yogurt and tomato sauce; and the chicken kebab. Dinners come with rice, grilled tomato and hot pepper. Desserts we have liked were the sampler plate which contains a creamy rice pudding, baklava, kadayif (shredded dough with pastacio nuts), and a Turkish pastry with cream and pistachio nuts inside. Prices are very reasonable. BYO. The restaurant does not use pork products and only serves Halal meat. Haven't been there is awhile but I would think that the menu is the same.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE