• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Has Jean-Georges Vongerichten Jumped the Shark?

slkinsey

I highly doubt that Vong, Mercer Kitchen, Spice Market and the like are losing money. So, I don't think it matters.

But yes, JG may be Antoninus Pius right now, one can only hope that he doesn't end up as Romulus Augustulus.

I highly doubt that Vong, Mercer Kitchen, Spice Market and the like are losing money.  So, I don't think it matters.

Perhaps not yet, but if they keep taking these kinds of critical hits it is likely only a matter of time like "V".

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Exactly. I'm pretty confident in saying that the majority of the customers at both Spice Market and Mercer Kitchen don't even live here.

As for Vong, the review wasn't that negative. In fact, it was more positive than I would have predicted.