• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sette Osteria

cjsadler

You are most welcome. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you. :smile:

I have spoken with Adam at Sette and addressed the "no reservations" issue. He appreciated the heads up that we have a large party coming. He also that accommodating us at 6:30 on Wednesday should not be that difficult.

For those of you who are coming (or thinking about it), please do your best to arrive at 6:30. We'll mix and mingle until we eat at 7.

Keep me posted re: your status if you switch from a yes to a no or a maybe or vice versa, k?

Jenny,

YOU ROCK!!

Having so far only met the estimable JohnW in real life, Mrs JPW and I are also looking forward to meeting all of you.

She's very interested to see the people behind the amount of time I waste at work.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Tomorrow's the big day...

Updated:

bilrus +1

DonRocks - maybe

cjsadler

mdt

JPW + Mrs JPW

hillvalley

mnebergall

hannnah

babka - maybe

hjshorter

DCMark + 1

me

That 13 saying yes plus two maybes.

If anyone reading this has planned a prior eGullet event, could you please PM me? I have a question or two for you.

Edited by JennyUptown (log)

Is anyone planning to bring a digital camera?

I can. (That way I won't have to be in any :smile: )

I have decided that my official spring break will start two days eary.

Thank for setting all this up Jenny! We owe her a couple of drinks.

Edited to add: John, how late do we have to stay to have you join us?

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Ok, it looks like my wife and I will be there.

It would be great to have online introductions before we get there. With that in mind:

I am 35, born in DC. My wife is Grenoble, France, so you can imagine she likes to eat. I find myself cooking at home more often but we had a good meal at Les Halles (family favorite) last week. We tried to eat at Sette but it was packed on that night (Friday).

Food wise I love game, mushrooms, raw fish, veal's head, formage and just about anything else. In fact my french mother in law has been amazed that there is nothing she can serve me that I don't eat with a smile (she does not see my frowns when I eat tripe though).

ok, see you all tomorrow at 6:30. How are we going to know each other?

Mark

It would be great to have online introductions before we get there. With that in mind:

I am 35, born in DC. My wife is Grenoble, France, so you can imagine she likes to eat. I find myself cooking at home more often but we had a good meal at Les Halles (family favorite) last week. We tried to eat at Sette but it was packed on that night (Friday).

Food wise I love game, mushrooms, raw fish, veal's head, formage and just about anything else. In fact my french mother in law has been amazed that there is nothing she can serve me that I don't eat with a smile (she does not see my frowns when I eat tripe though).

ok, see you all tomorrow at 6:30. How are we going to know each other?

Mark

All right, I'll bite:

Mark Nebergall

Born Tripoli, Libya (Wheelus AFB)

Divorced White Male, 3 kids, oldest 15 (girl)

(X from NJ, don't ask which exit)

Raised in Texas, Puerto Rico and Missouri

College- Missouri

Law Schools Pepperdine, NYU

Former Justice Dept. Litigator

Currently, tax lobbyist for the software industry.

I like to cook because I like to eat.

Able to put fresh game on the table from time to time. Fresh morels too.

Currently have frozen wild pheasants and quail in freezer, plus blueberries, blackberries and raspberries (picked last summer). Hope to augment with wild turkey in a few weeks (together with morels). Usually there are a few geese and ducks in there as well, but none right now.

Lifted from my bio...

My interest in visiting the site came primarily out of a love of dining out, but more recently I have developed a desire to learn to cook. Better late than never, right? My efforts have been quite simple thus far, but my boyfriend is relieved to not have to be our full-time chef so no matter what comes out of the kitchen, he's pretty grateful!

About me...I'm originally from a tiny town called Taylor in Northeastern PA. There I did the usual small town stuff including going to hair-band concerts (I was way into Bon Jovi, Poison and the like), getting perms and making my hair really, really big. Oh well, it WAS the 80s.

After four years in Ithaca (Go Big Red!), I moved to NYC and to the chagrin of my parents, decided to ignore my degree in psychology to do something more "fun." First I worked for a magazine (great parties, little room for advancement). Eventually, I got a job at the NBA and began to build a career in sports marketing in spite of not knowing anything at all about basketball. It was a steep learning curve and now I'm passionate about the game.

On 9/10/01, I accepted the proverbial dream job here in Washington, DC and then 9/11 happened...making leaving Manhattan both easier and more difficult. I still feel the city's pull all the time (and I certainly miss the quantity of quality restaurants there - DC has great eats, just not as many places to choose from).

But life here in DC is good. My job is a challenge as well as a laugh. I have a fun group of friends and we non-chefs help keep DC's restaurants in business. When I'm not working, I like to write, practice my [reasonably awful] Spanish and drink vast quantities of coffee.

As for tonight...

A few people have asked about how we'll handle the exchange of funds tonight and that's a good question. For the budget-minded folks among us (I count myself as one), I think it would be best if we divide the food portion more or less evenly and subsquently tally the alcohol bill according to who drank what. When I arrive, I also plan to ask about the possibility of a several checks for the table (4-6 people each), but in case the Sette people aren't into that, I thought we needed a backup.

If anyone has a better idea, I'm open to it. PM me.

I should be easy to spot because I'm wearing an orange top (who wears orange much anyway??) and a black skirt. I believe hillvalley and I will arrive early-ish, like 6:15, so we'll see you there.

I plan to bring name tags. They're not required, but if you are willing, you can right your screen name and first name if it isn't immediately apparent.

It would be great to have online introductions before we get there.

Good idea, Mark. Especially for those of us who have not previously met IRL and never bothered to put up bios.

Me- Joe, 33, Analyst at Westat, born in Pittsburgh. Undergrad at Northwestern. Grad school (PhD Political Science) at SUNY-Binghamton. Have also lived or spent lots of time in Paris, Quebec City, Martha's Vineyard, St Thomas USVI.

Here because I like to eat. Learned to cook as last child of single mom who was a nurse and hence was often on duty for meal times. Simple equation -- make own dinner or starve. Spent much of my youth in and out of restaurants. Only restaurant jobs I haven't had are head chef and owning one.

Mrs. JPW - Leigh, are you kidding I would never tell her age without express written permission, Graphic Design Coordinator at Westat, born in Atlanta. Undergrad at Sarah Lawrence, Grad School (PHD Graphic Design History) SUNY-Binghamton. Spent some time living in NYC and has traveled a lot (Korea, USSR, etc.)

We have a beautiful little house near Sligo Creek Park and Colesville Road in Silver Spring that we are trying to finish fixing up before the arrival of "Peanut" (our first).

How are we going to know each other?

Good question. I'm 5'9" about 190. Balding blondish crewcut and wire rim glasses. Today wearing white shirt and orange tie with a narrow gray stripe. As for Mrs JPW, just look for the most beautiful woman in the room. :smile:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Great idea.

Me: Eunny, marketing and PR for a materials technology startup. A year of school left at Maryland. Have lived in the DC area all my life (Gaithersburg, MD for the first 16 years of my life, Dupont Circle for the last four). A young'un, but I'll behave myself.

Here because eating is one of my favorite hobbies. Slamming oven doors, butchering chickens, and mashing garlic are my favorite ways to shake the day off. Adore eating out.

How you'll recognize me: 5'2" (5'5" with my heels :laugh: ), 110 lbs. Look for the Korean girl with the Sandra Dee ponytail wearing the white shirt and grey pants.

I should be easy for others to recognize me, as there is a good chance I will be the biggest guy (and hopefully by default the biggest person) in the room.

There are several pictures of me at various eGullet meals on the site - including a particularly unfortunate one of me here eating cotton candy at 2941.

You can read more about me in my bio.

I look forward to meeting everyone tonight.

Bill Russell

Hello all,

I am Mike and work as a software development consultant, current gig is at the Patent/Trademark Office. Undergrad at UMass and grad at GMU. I have been in the area for about 13 years, but spent my youth moving as my Dad was in the Army.

I am here because I enjoy spending time in the kitchen and learning about food and cooking. My recent addiction is bread baking.

I am about 6'3" brown hair and wearing a red shirt (almost wore orange today myself) and dark grey pants.

See you all tonight!

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

It would be great to have online introductions before we get there.  With that in mind:

I am 35, born in DC.  My wife is Grenoble, France, so you can imagine she likes to eat.  I find myself cooking at home more often but we had a good meal at Les Halles (family favorite) last week.  We tried to eat at Sette but it was packed on that night (Friday).

Food wise I love game, mushrooms, raw fish, veal's head, formage and just about anything else.  In fact my french mother in law has been amazed that there is nothing she can serve me that I don't eat with a smile (she does not see my frowns when I eat tripe though).

ok, see you all tomorrow at 6:30.  How are we going to know each other?

Mark

All right, I'll bite:

Mark Nebergall

Born Tripoli, Libya (Wheelus AFB)

Divorced White Male, 3 kids, oldest 15 (girl)

(X from NJ, don't ask which exit)

Raised in Texas, Puerto Rico and Missouri

College- Missouri

Law Schools Pepperdine, NYU

Former Justice Dept. Litigator

Currently, tax lobbyist for the software industry.

I like to cook because I like to eat.

Able to put fresh game on the table from time to time. Fresh morels too.

Currently have frozen wild pheasants and quail in freezer, plus blueberries, blackberries and raspberries (picked last summer). Hope to augment with wild turkey in a few weeks (together with morels). Usually there are a few geese and ducks in there as well, but none right now.

Mark! Delighted to have another hunter on the team. We def. have to exchange stories tonight. Unfortunately, I have not been able to hunt for a few years but want to change that this year.

Also, I am just learning about Morel hunting in the area and would love some ideas on good spots :biggrin:

Edited by DCMark (log)