• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sette Osteria

cjsadler

Greetings from the teacher's lounge!

Let's see, me hmmmmm.

I have spent most of my life in DC, mainly on Capitol Hill. There is a bit more about me in my bio but rereading it I realized it doesn't say much about my life.

I started undergrad at Clark University in Worcester, Mass. and finished up at American. Now I am working on my masters at Trinity College in DC.

Food is my passion, my hobby, my enemy and my love. I have been a food snob my entire life, which I blame on my food snob parents :biggrin:

My other passion is my students. I teach at a Level 5 (most restrictive) private special ed. school in Rockville, but most of my students are "inner city" kids. Feel free to shut me up tonight if I go on about them! In my blog I wrote about introducing my kids to sushi and other Japanese food.

Eunny, we are studying Korea next so I can't wait to meet you! I need lesson ideas :smile: Today I am in a read turtleneck, although I may have to change if I get covered in any more drool (a daily part of my life). My kids all wanted to know why I was "dressed up" today and think I have a date. They are very concerned that I am not married and don't have a boyfriend :wub:

Since spring break officially starts in 52 1/2 hours (but who is counting) I have decided that tonight is my unofficial start. John W. has already passed on some wine recommendations.

Is anyone coming from upper NW? I would love to share a cab or a ride if you are interested. PM me if you are interested.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Quick question -

Parking in Dupont absolutely stinks and their valet doesn't start until 7.

Anyone have a favorite garage for the area?

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I'm Heather Shorter, 37, live in Rockville with my husband and two kids (4 1/2 and almost 2). Spent 9 years at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, decided nonprofit arts management was a ticket to frustration, and chucked my job to go back to college full time at age 30. My goal is a BS in Anthropology and I will be a full time student again once my youngest is in kindergarten.

Raised in various places, including Okinawa and Germany, and California, but have been in the DC area since 1980.

I love to cook, and went to culinary school in the mid-1980's here in DC but ultimately figured out that it wasn't something to I wanted to do professionally. I'm a damn good home cook and so is my husband, so it's a family hobby. The kids go out with us frequently and love sushi, Thai and Indian food. Right now Emma wants to learn to cook and I'm excited to start teaching her.

Should we all wear nametags? I can bring some. I'm awful at remembering names.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Borrowing someone's internet connection, as my cable is down. So real quick: 6'2", age 32, male, light brown hair, DC native, obsessed with food... will be wearing a brown corduroy jacket. I've met a couple of you before, so hopefully I'll be recognized!

Chris Sadler

Bah, just realized I've double-booked meself.

Next time, perhaps.

I'll take your place.

I'm in. Beware, I may have pizza :biggrin:

We're afraid, very afraid :biggrin:

anyone under the age of 30 coming? :biggrin:

Yeah, but just barely.

Look, more of the last of my twenties just flew by.......

Am I the baby of the group?

anyone under the age of 30 coming?  :biggrin:

Yeah, but just barely.

Look, more of the last of my twenties just flew by.......

Am I the baby of the group?

nope my wife is 26.

I am feeling old today for some reason. see you all tonight. Will be there at 6:15. Wearing a black suit with blue tie and brown hair. Terrible with names so excuse me in advance.

Quick question -

If you can work the timing, my trick is to hit the area at 6:20, find a spot, and park at 6:30 exactly (ok, 6:25. Shoot Me). There's a garage on Floriday Avenue just off Connecticut that's about 2 blocks from the place. Look for the Vision's Cinema.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Quick question -

If you can work the timing, my trick is to hit the area at 6:20, find a spot, and park at 6:30 exactly (ok, 6:25. Shoot Me). There's a garage on Floriday Avenue just off Connecticut that's about 2 blocks from the place. Look for the Vision's Cinema.

Yeah, I often do the 6:25 trick for softball games on the mall waiting to park on Constitution. We'll see if I can time it right.

If not I may just swallow the cost and use the garage.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I want to be the first to thank Jenny for organizing tonight dinner. It was a wonderufl evening, even if I am still getting over the shock of putting names to handles :wink:

We had a wonderful evening, even if we did have to tell the waiter there was no need to explain coppino.

For those of you who couldn't join us (or left) we hope to see you at out next gathering.

Stay tuned for details for our next egdc event, sometime in April, but not in the next 1 1/2 hours!

DCMark, I promise to tell you my antiNCLB schpiel at the next dinner :biggrin:

Edited to add: I'll get my pictures posted in by the end of the weekend, even if we didn't make Fg and Jason a video

Edited by hillvalley (log)

I think after tonight's event, I think we should request that the eGullet powers that be rename this thread. Any suggestions? It was a powerful event, agreed? Perhaps we should request "DC Power Event.?

Power event. :laugh:

Big thanks to Jenny for organizing, and for handing out the cheat sheets. You're a doll and I hope we do this again. :smile: It was really nice to put names to faces. Hannah, Bill, Erin, Chris, and Mike, it was nice to see you again, and I hope to see the rest of you at other at events.

The broccoli rabe and sausage pizza was very good, and so were the nutella filled donuts. :wub:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme