• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caterers?

mrbigjas

A friend of mine asked me for help since he thinks I know things, and I told him I'd ask around. Here is the basic info from his email to me:

...meetings are going to be held in Philadelphia this year (March 14-19), and we plan to have a party on that Thursday night.  Fortunately, we already have our location (an alumnus had previously arranged for a party to support his photo show at the University Science Center), and I think that we're going to try to self-cater the alcohol, but we are in search of a "reasonably-priced" caterer for appetizers for 100-150 people.  I'm not entirely sure about the budget, but I think it's "frugal but flexible" (especially considering the donated venue).. I think that we've got somewhere in the realm of $2000-2500.

I'm not even sure where to start to tell him to look, but I'm trying to be helpful, since he's trying to plan this from up in Massachusetts. Any thoughts on where to begin? Is his price range reasonable? I would think $20+ a head would be OK for just apps, but then again I haven't dealt with this sort of thing recently. Then I was thinking well, what are appetizers, really? You could get a bunch of trays from DiBruno's, say, for that kind of money, and feed everyone really well. Then I was thinking, well, hey, most of those ethnic restaurants offer catering--you could do malaysian or mexican or something for that kind of money... you can see I'm kinda all over the place here.

You can PM me if you'd rather not post for whatever reason.

I'd recommend hiring a full-fledged caterer rather than going the route of ordering plates from purveyors. Not that their food won't be good; DiBruno will provide incredibly tasty food, for example. Money can be saved if your friend wants to do it that way, but then he'd have to worry about all the little details, like transporting the plates, clean-up, napkins, implements, tables and settings, etc. I think it worthwhile to pay a small premium and deal with a professional, rather than put on an amateur hour show . . . especially since your friend is trying to do all this long-distance from Massachusetts.

I'd recommend Jack Kramer's. In addition to doing a good job, he's in the U of P neighborhood: 4217 Chestnut Street, (215) 662-5300, and I suspect they are familiar with the venue of the event, making planning that much easier.

They catered a reception in my home (admittedly, a dozen years ago, so I don't know what he's been doing lately) and did a superb job. Jack Kramer's is used by a number of companies, including large Center City law firms, for their some of their catered affairs. FWIW, Jack Kramer's is an approved supplier of Penn's purchasing department.

Edited by rlibkind (log)

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I can make several recommendations, just don't have phone numbers at my fingers.

Perfect Setting out of Berwyn does a lot of work in the city. Very reasonable. Ask for the owner Jerry Diehl. Crickett Catering out of Ardmore does a lot of work on the Penn campus so they are familiar with working in the area as well. Feast your eyes out of Philly might also be a thought. These are all mid level firms so they can do a good job with your budget.

Feast Your Eyes Catering does a very professional job and does a lot of work at the University. They'll handle all the rentals, staffing, etc. so you don't have to sweat a thing. For that amount of money you could probably get away with a few displays (fruit and cheese perhaps) and a vareity of butlered hors d'oeuvres.

215-923-9449. Ask for Lynn Buono or Skip Schwartzman - they are the owners. Tell them I sent you. I used to work for them and they're very nice and very accomodating.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

From the shameless plug department: Rx does catering, and we have done quite a few events at Science Center venues. In addition to featuring local purveyors, we're pretty flexible in re: what type of cuisine a client is looking for and how much they want to spend to get it. If your bud is interested, my cell is 215.275.9229. That said, if you decide to go with someone else, you can't go wrong with Feast Your Eyes.

owner, Rx

Went to a reception tonight that was catered by Frog Commissary. Asian-themed food: cold noodles (some with chicken, some with pickled vegetables), summer rolls with a garlicky dipping sauce, smoked salmon and cream cheese rolled in nori, and really good banh mi (complete with some very nice pate). The food was all very good (well, I didn't like the cream cheese rolls, but others did); I have no idea what they charge, but they'd probably be another option.

Also, I saw that Sweet Lucy's caters... but... naaaaah, probably that's not what you'd want.

As a reference, for off-premise catering firms,

Max and Me, Peachtree and Ward, Feast Your Eyes, Frog Commissary, Jeffrey Miller, Callahan, and Culinary Concepts are probably the most upscale caterers in the area.

I believe none of them will be able to do a lot with that amount of money and that number of people. Perhaps I am wrong.

Other options such as Rx, Norm the Caterer, and/or Jack Kramer may be more feasible.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 2 months later...

I didn't know that job was posted here, I was asked in person and recommended a friend Stacy. She got the bid and I heard everyone was pleased. She's a local and is doing private parties on her own, she also is cooking for a restaurant that she prefers that they don't know about the jobs she gets on her own. I'll be pleased to pass her # on, just ask.

Carman

Carman's Country Kitchen

11th and Wharton

Philadelphia, PA

• 1 month later...

This is way past when you need it but just in case anyone does a search on the topic -- I would like to give props to MANNA. They catered my wedding reception and they were fantastic. Great menu, very well executed. Friendly, professional staff, very reasonably priced and for a great cause to boot.

Amazing wedding cake. They would have been my first choice even if it hadn't been for the cause.

the website is http://www.mannapa.org

edited to add: Their main site, with a couple of sample menus.

Edited by Behemoth (log)