• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starbucks Easy Chairs

Holly Moore

It has become a morning tradition for me - at least on those days when I don't hike the few extra blocks to La Colombe - to settle into one of those big overstuffed club-like easy chairs at the Starbucks closest to my business. Knock back a "triple, no-foam, skinny latte grande" while working my way through the Times, including - on Monday thru Wednesday, often Thursday and rarely Friday - the crossword puzzle.

Shock and awe this morning. Gone were my comfy easy chairs only to be replaced by awkward, wood frame chairs with ill-placed padding that look like they were purchased, on sale, from IKEA. All the comfort of a Motel 6 lobby.

I am wondering if this is a nationwide travesty in the making, or just a local bit of poor judgement.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Hmm. I suspect if you just sat through ONE crossword puzzle, they wouldn't worry about turnover! :laugh: Seriously, my two local SB's both have two comfy chairs and all the rest IKEA like metal tables and chairs..not even cushioned..its not a place to sit and hang, more of a place to order and go.

Actually just one crossword puzzle a day.

I'm sure someone has proved a correlation between IQ and the Times puzzles which become progressively more difficult through the course of a week. I was bursting with pride when I evolved from being a "Tuesday" to a "Wednesday."

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Aw, gee, I hate it what that happens. Find something, good, make it a regular habit and they take it away.

I wonder if it has something to do with the wicked viruses that have made the rounds this year? Soft surfaces like those can't be cleaned off as well.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

A few years ago Starbucks made some changes so people won't camp out all day. Like, no longer offering free papers. now they are for sale only. They also used to have open games of Cranium for people to play as well. Maybe lack of cushioning is to get us to sit less than 3 hours. I've also noticed an overhaul in the refrigerated cases, they now offer more lunch options.

This is where large corporations are bad. At La Colombe, you could easily discuss an issue like this with an owner. When you discuss situations like this with your SB Barista, all they can say is, "This is what they tell us to do."

I am a Venti Triple Sugar Free vanilla breve latte girl.

SB should also have more sugar free syrup flavors other than vanilla. ALthough, they did upgrade to Splenda last week!

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

I'm OK with this trend. Seems like I always have to wait...and wait...and wait for someone to vacate one of said comfy chairs. I'm sure S'bucks has noticed the same thing.

Also, have you noticed how stained & crumb-laden those chairs become? Apparently baristas are not paid to vacuum. I suspect some of these crumby chairs have not been replaced since the inception of Starbucks in many areas.