• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Park Steakhouse

Rosie

The Park Steakhouse, 151 Kinderkamack Road, Park Ridge serves modern American cuisine and specializes in 21 day, dry aged on premises, New York sirloin and seasonal fish preparations. The restaurant is under the direction of Chef/owner John Halligan, a graduate of the CIA. He previously worked at the Regent Wall Street Hotel, RIHGA Royal Hotel and the Regency Hotel, all in New York City. It’s no surprise that in 1995 and 1996 Chef Halligan was named the Country's Best Hotel Chef by The James Beard Foundation. This is a great restaurant.

Our scrumptious dinner started with addictive Parmesan cheese crisps that were part of the breadbasket. The waiter recited the specials, unfortunately without the prices, but otherwise was quite attentive and provided excellent service throughout the evening.

Although the food is so good you will want each dish for yourself, the portions are large and you can easily share an appetizer, dessert or side dish. Lowell had an excellent Bibb salad with crumbled Maytag blue cheese and the best double smoked bacon I have had in a long time. It also contained Abma’s Farms heirloom tomatoes which were very tasty. The Park supports regional small farmers and their motto is “Food is only as good as the quality of the ingredients.”

I had a warm grilled marinated artichoke accompanied with a toasted garlic aioli. The large fresh artichoke was cut in half and so tender that I was able to eat the stem and most of the leaves whole. Chef Halligan cooks the artichoke in a chicken broth first and then grills it making for a standout appetizer.

For entrees I had a dish that I would put on my list of “best” dishes of 2004. It was a “smoked lobster chili” with white navy beans, Virginia ham and chipolte pepper. The chili had clearly defined flavors and was a memorable dish. Lowell had the Guinness braised short ribs of beef with tobacco onions which was such a large serving I thought it might be brisket instead of short ribs. This dish was also very pleasing and rich. It was accompanied with mashed potatoes and spinach. We ordered a side of broccoli rabe that we ended up taking home. The Park also specializes in two to three pound steamed Maine lobster which I would like to try on our next visit as well as the steak.

The wine list has 175 to 200 selections predominately from American estate wineries with an emphasis on big elegant Cabernets, Merlots and Chardonnays. Lowell had a few beers and I had a glass of shiraz. The bottle was brought to the table and shown to me before it was poured—an appreciated touch.

We were too full for dessert, which are made in-house, but some of the options were warm chocolate “nirvana,” crème brulee, pecan pie, ice creams and cheesecake. Coffee was very good.

The restaurant is open for lunch Monday through Friday 11:30 AM to 2:30 PM; dinner Monday through Friday 5:30 to 10 PM; Saturday dinner 5:30 to 11 PM; Sunday 5 to 10 PM; and Sunday brunch 11:30 AM to 3 PM. For reservations call 201-930-1300. They have a website at: www.theparksteakhouser.com.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Sounds very interesting and since its in my neighborhood I'll have to give it a try. Do you know if they have a corkage fee?

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

• 5 months later...

We recently returned to The Park as Lowell was craving steak. The waitress recited the specials on this visit with the prices—thank-you.

I started with a New England sushi roll made with Maine lobster, spinach and saffron rice with wasabi vinaigrette. Would have liked more lobster in this roll but it certainly tasted great. Other appetizers were a grilled eggplant, goat cheese and oven roasted tomato bundles with a yellow tomato emulsion and herb salad and a light salad of local baby mixed greens with a verjus vinaigrette. Both can be recommended. One appetizer that caught my eye that I would love to try the next time I dine here is the “Eggs & Bacon” containing farm fresh truffle fried egg, shaved sweet red onion and baby spinach salad with a warm bacon vinaigrette. Sounds great doesn’t it?

I had an excellent salmon with sautéed vegetables. Lowell had a perfectly cooked New York Sirloin Steak that was accompanied with an outrageously delicious steak sauce created Chef John Halligan. There also were three sauces for the steak which I couldn’t stop dipping my fork into: béarnaise; port wine bordelaise; and blue cheese fondue. Chef—bottle all of those sauces. A double thick pork chop with a honey and maple marinade was gnawed to the bone. And a special of tuna with a sesame seed coating was as appealing as the other entrees.

The wine list, which tends to be high, has 175 to 200 selections predominately from American estate wineries with an emphasis on big elegant Cabernets, Merlots and Chardonnays. We had a “I don’t need to order this one again” Shiraz 2002, Rosemount “Hill of Gold,” Australia for $45. Take note that The Park has a $15 corkage fee.

We ordered two desserts to share and Chef Halligan generously sent out a few more which we couldn’t stop passing around the table. I loved the warm chocolate “nirvana” and pecan crusted cheesecake and adored the fresh raspberry and lemon tart. However, the warm pecan tart with Tahitian vanilla ice cream and chocolate cookie ice cream were hard to resist also. Coffee was very good.

The restaurant is open for lunch Monday through Friday 11:30 AM to 2:30 PM; dinner Monday through Friday 5:30 to 10 PM; Saturday dinner 5:30 to 11 PM; Sunday 5 to 10 PM; and Sunday brunch 11:30 AM to 3 PM. For reservations call 201-930-1300. They have a website at: www.theparksteakhouse.com.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 1 month later...

Any new opinions on this restaurant? A favorite guitarist of mine is playing there Friday and it looks like an interesting place. I noticed on the menu they never mention the word "prime" when describing their meat. How are the steaks?

Hope they are good... :wink:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

"The PARK Steakhouse is proud to serve only USDA Dry Aged Certified Black Angus Beef.

All steaks are dry aged 21 days to enhance their flavor and tenderness. "

well, if they're not prime, and i'm thinking they might not be, the rest of the menu reads pretty well. in fact, it might be a good steakhouse to not get steak. and there aren't very many of them. i'm in.

"The PARK Steakhouse is proud to serve only USDA Dry Aged Certified Black Angus Beef.

All steaks are dry aged 21 days to enhance their flavor and tenderness. "

well, if they're not prime, and i'm thinking they might not be, the rest of the menu reads pretty well.  in fact, it might be a good steakhouse to not get steak.  and there aren't very many of them.  i'm in.

Ok, so its me, Amy, and Tommy..who else?? :biggrin:

That Bonom post Tommy linked to proved what I have known for a long time....some people have way too much free time on their hands...Tommy is not included in that crticism, since we all know he is in the employ of eG... :biggrin:

Edited by adegiulio (log)

• 4 weeks later...

had a very good meal at this place recently.

the steak, though not prime, was very good. flavorful, tender, and perfectly cooked to m/r.

a big fat bordeaux style blend (from CA) was surprisingly served at something approaching cellar temp. i almost fell out of my chair.

zardetto prosecco served by the split.

service was excellent and friendly.

as i guessed up-thread, it's a great place to have something other than steak as well.

i didn't have very high expectations of this place and was pleasantly surprised. the valet parking didn't even annoy me. perhaps i was in a better-than-usual mood.