• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valence, France

jglazer75

I'm in a bit of a quandry. Rather than put up with Valentines Day crowds at fancy restaurants in the city I've decided to cook a meal. In the past I have created my own menus based on single items (for example, I had an entire meal based around Artichokes, one based entirely on daikon, etc.).

For Valentines Day I wanted to do something a little different and base a supper on a place and transport my 'other' to that place for Valentines Day. What could be more romantic than France? Ok, that's a rhetorical question, you don't need to list places more romantic than France. And particularly I have chosen (rather arbitrarily) Valence, France because, well, it seemed as good as any. However, what I canNOT find is information about the food and culture of this particular region of France. The internet has proven semi-useless but I assume that's because I'm not looking in the right places. So, what can you all collectively tell me about this SouthEast Region? For those that have been/are there, what kinds of food are typical? Any suggestions for getting my 'other' to Valence, France without actually leaving Chicago?

I will not claim to be any expert on this region of France, but it does strike me that you have chosen a particularly challenging area. I like to collect cookbooks from various regions of France and the Rhone Valley is one of my favorite areas, but I have had a hard time finding books specific to Rhone Valley cooking. More often, books are dedicated to the chefs of Lyon to the north (including Bocuse, Troisgros, etc) or to Provence in the south. My recommendation would be to do one of two things (or both).

1. Look in Larousse Gastronomique. I seem to remember there is an entry for Valence, but I can't remember exactly what it says.

2. Look for restaurants in the Rhone Valley, particularly in the area around Valence (including Tain l'Hermitage) and try to see what is on their menus. If you cannot find them online, try Michelin. Michelin will usually have listings for the signature dishes of the better restaurants.

Of course, if you are choosing Valence, I would definitely serve a nice Hermitage (or two or three).

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Actually, there are three "Valence France"s.

What on earth made you choose such a random place? One is in Rhone Alpes. That's near me and I might be able to help you with that. The other is in the midi pyrenees, and the other in Poitou Charentes.

- L

Edited by bleudauvergne (log)

Actually, there are three "Valence France"s. 

- L

Ah. Sorry for the confusion. I intended Valence in the Rhone Valley.

It truly was a random pick. I chose it though because I prefer the more Germanic/Swiss/Italian influences to the Spanish or Parisian influences. Also, it seemed as good as any. If Valence is a little too specific then food/culture of the Rhone region (including Lyons) might be helpful as well. Information such as typical pre-entree courses, entrees, desserts, other courses that are typical, wines served, etc. would be useful.

I guess what I'm looking for is this: If I wanted to bring Valence, Rhone to Chicago, Illinois what would it look like?

Just checked my Larousse and it turns out I was wrong. No Valence (not sure what I was thinking.)

Regarding the wine, Hermitage is one of my all-time favorites, either Red (preferred) or White (also excellent.) Other favorite Rhone wines would be Cote Rotie (Red) to the north and Chateauneuf-du-Pape (Red and White) to the south. If price is the issue and you are looking for a red, Chateauneuf is more reasonably priced, but Hermitage is the closet major appellation to Valence, so I would highly recommend it.

What price range are you interested in for wine and maybe we can suggest some producers?

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

If you want to be authentic to the region, choose really fresh ingredients, and maybe make quenelles, they are a labor of love and local. You can make them with fish or chicken. Another choice might be to serve sausages, although that might put you both to sleep!!

Hope your dinner is just wonderful.

- Lucy

I've been to Valence (the one you are thinking of), but it has been over ten years ago. I can underscore the recommendation of sausages. Also lemons, oranges, and lavender-infused items (honey, sauces, sorbet). OF course, also roast chicken and other fowl.

Regarding wine, if you are buying recent vintages you will find Cotes-du-Rhone and Crozes-Hermitage to be more accessible when young.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Thanks all for your help! I've settled (I think) on a menu that includes: a potato-leek-fennel-type soup that I found on a menu online from a restaurant (can't remember which one now, I've looked at so many!) in Valence; a frisee salad with mustard-vinaigrette; roasted cornish game hen with sweet onions and a red wine sauce; and, a dessert of pears in a wine sauce.

Is that close? I'm not thrilled with the dessert choice, but I think it shold be OK.