• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: melkor

melkor

I haven't heard back from marlena spieler and I've managed to convince Pim to take the blog, so next week ya'll get to dine with Pim.

My food for today is hardly worth mentioning, I've been out bike riding all day - this morning I had a cappa, and some cottage cheese & peaches. Lunch was cheese and crackers in the park. There's a pastrami going in the smoker, but that won't be ready until after I finish my blog.

We are off grocery shopping so we can make dinner.

Wow, when I agreed to dine with Mr. and Ms. Melkor last night, I had no idea that I (or more specifically my hands) would be guest starring on his food blog.

Dinner last night was most pleasant, both on account of the food and the company. I’ve always loved Zuni, and conversations with Mr. and, more so, Ms. Melkor have always been delightfully entertaining. And last night was just as it should be, fantastically simple and honest food in the company of good friends.

I must admit mea culpa on the quail photo. I was trying to be nice by moving the dish to a better spot on the table. Oh well, you didn’t miss much. The quail definitely tasted better than it looked (it looked pale and ever-so-slightly sickly).

The food last night was Zuni food in its usual form, though I found a dish or two slightly disappointing. The fries, oh how I love those fries, usually, but the ones last night were slightly limp. I sent one plate back, but the new plate was still not up to their usual standard. They tasted just fine, just a little bit on the oily and limp side. Too bad.

I agree with the Melkors on the polenta. I’m not a big fan of polenta anyway, unless it has gobs of extremely flavorful and dense stew on top of it, like what I’ve had in Northern Italy. This polenta was decidedly bland, the mascarpone and permigiano reggiano on top barely helped.

Unlike the Melkors, I love the chicken dish. The Zuni roasted chicken is, to me, the epitome of what Zuni is all about. The best ingredients, prepared lightly with skillful hands, served with simple but extremely complimentary accompaniments. It was superb, as usual. The braised duck leg was good as well, but I preferred the chicken, especially because my companions gladly let me have all the wings. I am such a wing girl. Yum.:biggrin:

We drank a bottle of 1999 Hendry zinfandel with our meals. Ms.Melkor picked it out of the wine list, but not before Melkor flaunt his psychic prowess and wrote the name down on a piece of paper and handed it to me. He was right on. Aren’t couples irritating? :raz:

The desserts were lovely. I adored the meyer lemon tart. I can’t remember the last time I dined or lunched at Zuni without having at least one kind of tart for dessert. I so love the unbelievably crisp and tasty tart dough. I was a little less happy with the apple and cranberry crisp. They were good, but nothing spectacular. I don’t really understand cranberries anyway. Perhaps it has to do with me not being American. Cranberries seem to be such a North American thing.

Melkor, that silly guy, insisted on a cappuccino after dinner. I told him I would make fun of him here, so he pre-empted it by admitting to the deed himself on his blog. Still, it didn’t make it any less embarrassing, old man! :hmmm:

Edited by pim (log)

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

Tonight for dinner we had pastrami sandwiches with homemade pickles and potato chips. The pastrami was smoked this morning over far more hickory that seems like a good idea. The end result was that it retained the perfect amount of smokiness after being steamed - three fistfuls of hickory chunks again next time it seems.

pastrami.jpg

Thanks all for hosting me this week, it's been fun. The time has come for me to leave you all in Pim's very capable hands.

were the potato chips homemade?

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321