• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

6 Grape Champagne

Craig Camp

They were too delicate, or too unproductive. But recovering almost lost grape varieties is never something to be pooh-poohed. It's always good news. The world of viticulture has been terribly impoverished by diminishing grape diversity.

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

Victor,

I agree, but it would ne nice to see this wine stand on it own for quality rather than it's constituent parts. Only then, is it really possible to herald the revival of these varieties. Rather than through press release.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

They were too delicate, or too unproductive. But recovering almost lost grape varieties is never something to be pooh-poohed. It's always good news. The world of viticulture has been terribly impoverished by diminishing grape diversity.

...or they just made lousy wine. Natural selection applies applies to fine wine production too.

Not EVERY varietal needs to be saved for production purposes. For historic and scientific reasons certainly, but not always for wine.

I don't believe they are doing this for quality reasons, but only in a desperate attempt to get some public relations.

Craig, I suspect that you are correct regarding the motivation, but it will still be interesting to see what the wine is like. What may have lost favor 100 years ago, may be back in style today. In any case I think similarly to Victor that diversity is good for its own sake even if this particular example turns out to be plonk.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Not EVERY varietal needs to be saved for production purposes. For historic and scientific reasons certainly, but not always for wine.

Exactly. If this were not the case every winery in North America would be using scuppernong (muscadine) grapes for their production. They can be about the size of a golfball, produce a ton of juice, are disease resistant, prolific, and really easy to grow. Sadly the juice does not produce very good wine.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I found this description here:

" I went straight to my Terry Theise grower Champagne handbook. It means “the old vines of the countryside” and the Aubry brothers are about the last family to have these old, arcane varietals and certainly the fi rst to reintroduce the world to them. I quote from Terry Theise…“Arbanne, (10%; it gives the “herbs and honey” fl avors), Petit Meslier, (30%; it gives the “orange and lemon” fl avors), Fromenteau! (30%; it gives the Pinot Gris fl avors, I guess!), plus 15% Meuniers, 10% Chardonnay and 5% Pinot Noir! Anyone who loves Champagnehell, anyone remotely curious about WINE-owes it to him/herself to slurp into this 1-of-a-kind wonder.”"

On a French site, I found something like "replantation (of Petit Meslier, Arbanne) is no longer allowed", but no reason was given

Regards

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

I found this description here:

" I went straight to my Terry Theise grower Champagne handbook. It means “the old vines of the countryside” and the Aubry brothers are about the last family to have these old, arcane varietals and certainly the fi rst to reintroduce the world to them. I quote from Terry Theise…“Arbanne, (10%; it gives the “herbs and honey” fl avors), Petit Meslier, (30%; it gives the “orange and lemon” fl avors), Fromenteau! (30%; it gives the Pinot Gris fl avors, I guess!), plus 15% Meuniers, 10% Chardonnay and 5% Pinot Noir! Anyone who loves Champagnehell, anyone remotely curious about WINE-owes it to him/herself to slurp into this 1-of-a-kind wonder.”"

The wine described here is L. Aubry 1997 Le Nombre d’ Or Campanae Veteres Vites, apparently different from the one Craig's article described. Is this a new trend? I for one would like to try a bottle of one or the other. The Aubrey appears to be imported by Terry Theise. He is certainly a reputable importer with a very good track record for importing unique and interesting wines.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

apparently different from the one Craig's article described.  Is this a new trend?

I just tried to find out something about the characterisitics of these old grapes.

I think the digging out of old, forgotten grapes is a fairly big trend in Europe. Some of them are incredibly confined, sometimes to a single hill side of a village. Many of them are by no means 'great' or so.

But after having seen wines made by global varieties (CS, Merlot, Syrah, Chardonnay, ...) from all over the world, many consumers feel attracted by the 'indigenous' (autochthones) varieties having existed maybe for centuries around the corner.

Boris,

You are correct that it is a trend to be resurrecting a number of indigenous or more obscure grape varietals, many of whch are excellent. I was wondering if this particular blending of grape varietals is becoming a trend in Champagne. Are these the only two wineries currently doing this there or are there more?

Twitter - @docsconz

docsconz, is this something you are going to promote with your wine-prescription? :biggrin:

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

if this particular blending of grape varietals is becoming a trend in Champagne.

If the other source I found is correct and any further (re-)plantation of Petit Meslier and Arbane (together around 0.2% of the total plantation surface) is no longer allowed, then this kind of Champagne is living history.

I was wondering if this particular blending of grape varietals is becoming a trend in Champagne. Are these the only two wineries currently doing this there or are there more?

I'm not aware of other houses using these ancient varieties, but that doesn't mean that it isn't happening elsewhere. Other producers may simply not have the international distribution of Aubry and Moutard.

Aubry has been bottling Le Nombre d'Or since at least 1995. They have made vintage bottlings of this wine in 1995, 1996, 1997, and 1998. I've not had it, but I've talked with people who've either loved it or hated it. Figures. You can currently order the 1997 at K&L's web site.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

docsconz, is this something you are going to promote with your wine-prescription? :biggrin:

I don't know. I haven't tasted it yet. Then again I can't say I've tried everything I've prescribed before. It would depend on the studies, then. Wanna start one? :biggrin:

Twitter - @docsconz