• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pairing wines for a surf n turf New Years Dinner

ledervin

I am planning on having a cozy dinner with another couple for New Years Eve. In its the simplest form the menu looks like this:

Filet Mignon

Lobster

My friend and I are ready to spend a little money on some good red. We were thinking a big Bordeaux for under $100 was our goal. The problem is that it won't be so hot with the lobster. Suggestions?

How can this meal be presented to avoid a clash in flavors, the only thing I thought was to do a 3 course meal. going, Lobster, steak, dessert; red bordeaux, white, and some bubbly or sauternes.

Looking for suggestions.....help~

Well don't just stand there......get some glue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Condrieu, St. Estephe, Demi-Sec bubbly?

This is a wild guess besause really, you need to tell us how the mains will be being prepared. I'd certainly pair a diferent wine with a spice rubbed sirloin than I would with a straight grilled or broiled steak. Same with the lobster. Spices, sauces, accompaniments?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Stick with your Bordeaux plan. It will still go surprisingly well with the lobster as it's a rich seafood. I recall how shocked I was having Chateau Latour with seafood (not within your budget unfortunately) - despite my doubts it was an extraordinary match and the participants (10 of us, over 10 years ago) still talk fondly about how surprised we all were.

First of all, Katie's right -- we need to know how these are being prepared.

And you've got an easy match if you are doing separate courses. So this is

really only a problem if you are doing the 'classic surf and turf' -- ie, all on one

plate.

In the "you'd be surprised" category, a big white burgundy like a Corton-Charlemagne

or Batard-Montrachet can match well with a simply prepared steak, especially

filet.

Still, my first choice would be a big, big champagne. Think Salon, Krug, etc. This

is not my favorite style of champagne, so you'll have to depend on others for

specific recommendations. Selosse has the rep of being in that style, but in my

limited experience it won't have the stuffing to stand up to the meat.

--- Lee

Seattle

Actually, a simple solution for you -- if serving surf and turf side by side -- is to serve two wines. Perhaps that Bordeaux you are thinking of plus something along the lines of a White Burgundy. You can make it fun for your guests by making something of a game of it. Ask them if the white wine goes better with the filet or if the red wine goes better with the lobster.

Yes, it may partly depend on how the items are being prepared. But I'm guessing your preparations are going to be pretty straightforward. The one thing about filet mignon is that it doesn't have much flavor on its own (at least compared to a ribeye or NY strip), so it won't need a powerhouse red unless you have quite a flavorful sauce. And a more medium-bodied red won't give the lobster as much trouble.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

The filet will be seared served with a creamy mustard sauce with sauteed shallots and mushrooms.

The lobster will be served straight up with a dipping option of butter and creamy tarragon style remoulade.

I would definately want a big bordeaux for under $100....

anyone tried a Pichon Lalande or a Domaine de Chevalier

Well don't just stand there......get some glue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The filet will be seared served with a creamy mustard sauce with sauteed shallots and mushrooms.

The lobster will be served straight up with a dipping option of butter and creamy tarragon style remoulade.

I would definately want a big bordeaux for under $100....

anyone tried a Pichon Lalande or a Domaine de Chevalier

yeah,

maybe a white chevalier.

I think a red bordeaux is all wrong here, the red will overpower the lobster. especially given your preparation. Doesn't matter if your serving a good 1970, the wine will thump it into next week. you are thinking too much about the steak, which will go with many things provided the flavour is there, and the acidity is too. The lobster will not be so forgiving.

Condrieu - rich flavours, but no acidity to speak of. your steak and mustard sauce will laugh at it.

Batard or Corton charlemagne? could work, but would need to be 2000, to make your budget and have the intensity needed.

my call would absolutely be, grand cru chablis, perhaps 1998 or 2000. Fat, big wines, with rapier acidity. it's this thrust that will allow it to partner the steak and match a buttery lobster well also. R&V Dauvissat Preuses? maybe le clos, but the extra fattness of the preuses would come in handy.

you will be amazed at how it handles the mustard gravy, and navigates bloody meat.

Cheers

Scott

ps. a white chevalier could also work.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

Condrieu - rich flavours, but no acidity to speak of.  your steak and mustard sauce will laugh at it.

I love when dead cows and mustard sauces laugh at wines that resemble jasmine flowers, bananas, and buttercup stamen, in that particular order. Dry Viognier works particularly well with toasted almonds, like good pastis, and IMO not much else. I rarely pair it with food. What do the folks there have it with? It has always reminded me of voracious, unctuous perfume, the kind you cannot rid yourself of, oddly compelling and not for every day. Maybe that (and the fact that the grape is so supceptible to all sorts of disease) is why there is so little of it.

over it

Maybe that (and the fact that the grape is so supceptible to all sorts of disease) is why there is so little of it.

or it could be that it's a rubbish grape, making rubbish wine from the single most overrated appellation on the planet.

could be... :biggrin:

[disclaimer]

these thoughts represent that of the author, who can barely be trusted, and do not necessarily represent the views of the majority public. :rolleyes:

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?