• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: The Way Of The Knife

Fat Guy

This is a great article on tweaking and customizing knives, a skill which I've found almost mandatory for cooks whose boss will only spring for those punk Dexter Russels and whose co-workers are more enthusiastic than skilled with the whetstone. With just an angle grinder and a belt sander, a swayed-out chef's knife can be transformed into a far hardier santoku. Whoever invented the bolster should be doomed to an eternity of fixing concaved blades, that's for sure.

Making a good knife from scratch, however, has proven far more skill-intensive. Starting with ATS-34 bar stock and shaping with a combination of forging and abrasion, I've been able to make some mighty fine specialty knives. None have felt as good as my Global G7, though, so back to the old drawing board.

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

Just to be clear, I was asking about stamped blades in reference to the comment about non-forged blades.

Ben

Damascus has its charms for prettiness, but its fabled flexibility has been largely bred out over the centuries in favor of visual dazzle. For just about any hardcore use, you're going to get far better results from plain old steel.

This is a great article on tweaking and customizing knives, a skill which I've found almost mandatory for cooks whose boss will only spring for those punk Dexter Russels and whose co-workers are more enthusiastic than skilled with the whetstone.

Welcome to eGullet! Thank you for the kind words about my article. I appreciate it. I'm really surprised that more people don't round the spines of their knives. It's not difficult or time consuming -- and frankly, it's pretty hard to screw up.

Making a good knife from scratch, however, has proven far more skill-intensive. Starting with ATS-34 bar stock and shaping with a combination of forging and abrasion, I've been able to make some mighty fine specialty knives. None have felt as good as my Global G7, though, so back to the old drawing board.

I haven't tried making my own knife. That's beyond even my fanaticism :biggrin:. Well, that and the fact that I'm really, really bad with tools. I agree, though, that ergonomics play a huge role in how well you can use a knife. Feel is vastly underrated.

Take care,

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

question:

should your knuckles touch the chopping board when the heel of the blade is on the board or should the blade be tall enough that your knuckles dont graze the board.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

question:

should your knuckles touch the chopping board when the heel of the blade is on the board or should the blade be tall enough that your knuckles dont graze the board.

no touch. rules out a lot of 8" knives for most of us.

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

Agreed. No touch. That's why I like bolsterless, dropped blade-style knives. You get a little more margin for error :biggrin:. A chef's "pinch-grip" (see zilla369's Basic Knife Skills class for details) will also keep your knuckles out of the way much better than the "hammer" grip on the handle.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

question:

ahhh i use the edge of the chopping board cuz my knuckles will bash the board when i'm using my 6" Santoku.

i've always had to use a modified awkward pinch grip cuz my hands are Large.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

question:

ahhh i use the edge of the chopping board cuz my knuckles will bash the board when i'm using my 6" Santoku.

i've always had to use a modified awkward pinch grip cuz my hands are Large.

No kidding, it does seem like the vast majority of knives are made for pudgy little cartoon chef hands :laugh: . The pinch grip sure does make for some nice callouses, though, aside from the far greater control it gives.