• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bodega Bay sugestions

dfunghi

I will be spending new years week in Bodega Bay and was looking for reccomendations for good local eats. Not looking for fancy just clean and fresh. Also any cheese producers or other cool things ( other than winerys) to visit. We will go to Tom Bay for oysters of course.

D

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

As you are soon to discover, there is not much to do in Bodega Bay. I have a weekend house further up the coast, I drive through there twice a week. But... it is beautiful. Take books to read in case it rains and you will have a great time.

You should drive down to Point Reyes Station at least once (it is less than an hour, I'd think.) It is a cute little town. It has a nice bookstore, a good bakery, and the reason for your trip-the cheese from The Cowgirl Creamery. It is a block west of the main drag, in a place called Tomales Bay Foods. The Mexican place in town has good tacos, or you can get sandwiches at the deli inside Tomales Bay foods. Drive into the park: a few minutes to the visitor's center will get you to a long but flat trailhead to the ocean called Bear Valley Trail, or you can driveanother half hour to the lighthouse or, if you really want a big hike, go out to Pierce Point Road and hike on that trail on the point. You will see magnificent herds of Tule Elk.

Of course you should go to Hog Island for oysters, but be aware that they have to close when there has been significant rain, due to contamination from the streams that go through the dairy farms, then dump into the Bay. So call ahead.

For local food, I prefer the fish and chips (and the cracked crab) at Luccas to that of the Tides. I eat in the little deli, not the restaurant (outside if possible). Don't be tempted to order anything but fish and chips at Luccas; while their fish is great, everything else I've ever had there is just about inedible. I also like their plain cooked crab (I get it to take home) better than the Tides.

Tanabutler raves about River's End up the coast in Jenner (about 15 minutes north.) I've not eaten there, but it always has a full lot. The beaches between Bodega and Jenner are magnificent-great places to park and watch the huges waves this time of year.

You could also drive to Guerneville, or wander around Occidental and then go to the bakery in Freestone for a 2-lb. sticky bun. There is a little spa in that town called Osmosis that people like (I've never been.) They have warm redwood mulch spa treatments.

Edited by marie-louise (log)

Marie-Louise, someone just told me about a Russian restaurant in the area that is a must - are you familiar with it? Sorry, I don't know the name... I was told this of year is great for game meat...

Marie-Louise, someone just told me about a Russian restaurant in the area that is a must - are you familiar with it? Sorry, I don't know the name... I was told this of year is great for game meat...

You might be referring to Manka's Lodge in Inverness. They have a lot of wild game. I haven't eaten here yet, but friends who enjoy food have given it a thumbs up. It is pretty expensive.

Here's a site and quote: Manka's Lodge

"We take some credit for the food and give most of it to our neighbors. The large majority of what is served is grown and raised and caught for us within fifteen minutes of Manka's. The daily changing menu additionally highlights wild game, which is all around us, but can't be caught. What is caught is a wondrous array of local fishes. What is raised are birds and pigs, rabbits and lamb, abalone and oysters. What is grown is a wondrous array of greens and roots, fruits and olives. Our egg man lives within fifteen minutes of our organic dairy man, who is a neighbor of our fisherman, who is friends with our foragers - who have a nose and knowledge of wild mushrooms and the patience to pick buckets of huckleberries. We love the celebration of food, and the combination of food and wine.Our cellar houses well in excess of 150 selections. A large number of them are from small and often quirky domestic and foreign wineries, which seems to be in sync with the lodge itself. The restaurant is small and well thought of. Dinner reservations are strongly recommended for that simple reason. Breakfast is bounteous, and served only to our house guests, fireside in the parlor (where we grill our house-made sausages), in your room, or on your deck."

Other good restaurant in downtwon Pt. Reyes: Station Cafe

(I've been there mainly for brunch, but also tempted by home made pies and butterscotch puddding...) First place I tried the classic 'Hangtown Fry'; enjoyed it.

Make sure you go to Cowgirl Creamery for cheese and sandwhiches to bring along for picnics...

edit for eternal typos

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thank you all. Manka's sounds great. We have been to Pt. Reyes many times as well as Hog island, and will go again on this trip. We are staying up the coast from Bodega Bay at Gleason Beach. Waves, books, fresh air, rain, quiet, aahhh it sounds like a real vacation.

D

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Here's a site and quote:  Manka's Lodge

"

That link didn't work - but thanks for the name!

Maybe this one will...

Manka's Lodge

Now I want to go!

thanks for fixing the link Carolyn!

we need an egullet report from Manka's Lodge once someone eats there...

Have a great time up there dfunghi! I always love staying up in that area for a few days...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

also--since there seem to be a few people here that frequent the area... I wanted to share a favorite Italian deli in Petaluma called Volpi's.

Volpi's Italian Market Deli & Bar. Petaluma. 124 Washington Street

It's basically downtown and only takes a few minutes to get to off of 101.

I've never eaten in their restaurant (attached to the deli) but the deli makes great, generous Italian sandwiches with Italian coldcuts, including proscuitto. The deli is in a funky, older part of the builiding, old wooden walls, an old Italian club in the back, etc. Doesn't look like much but the take out sandwichss are great and very reasonably priced. They also have peppers and Italian cheese to go with. It's a favorite place to stop off and pick up picnic lunches for a day of wine tasting in Sonoma...?or a drive up to Bodega Bay?

I'd definitely second (or third) the motion of Cowgirl Creamery and Pt. Reyes Station Cafe.

In Bodega Bay proper, there's a big, sort of touristy place right on the water. Can't for the life of me remember the name, but it's pretty much the biggest place in "downtown" Bodega Bay. They have decent food and a great view.

amanda

Googlista

You might also be thinking of St. Orres up in Gualala. I've had great meals there over the years, but haven't eaten there in a long time. I stayed in their cottages several times and fell in love w/ the area so much we bought a weekend place nearby.

Re: Manka's. We stayed and dined there for a few days (in the very cheapest room.) We had such high hopes for the place, and I must say, the room was quite lovely. But the service sucked and some of the food was inedible. A piecrust that stuck to the plate and an almost raw pidgeon with the claw still attached were some of the more memorable moments. When we got home we Googled and were pleased to see that at least we weren't nuts or overly picky-there were a number of other unhappy campers who have posted not too nice reviews.

I thought of another breakfast place in Occidental. It is on the same side of the street as the Union Hotel, it's an old Victorian building, kinda funky in that whole wheat, Marin County sort of way. But good.

Wow, thanks for sharing your experience at Manka's. I need to get more details from my friends that ate (and I believe, stayed) there. In any case, what happeneed 'once'? with you is enough to be extremely cautios re: going there.

In Bodega Bay proper, there's a big, sort of touristy place right on the water. Can't for the life of me remember the name, but it's pretty much the biggest place in "downtown" Bodega Bay. They have decent food and a great view.

That's The Tides. In was in Hitchcock's "The Birds." Luccas is better, IMO, but the Tides does have a great view...

I also second Pt. Reyes Station Cafe. We are off on Wednesdays, and the restaurant is closed that day, but I have eaten there a few times and it was great.

That's The Tides. In was in Hitchcock's "The Birds." Luccas is better, IMO, but the Tides does have a great view...

That's the one. Thanks!

I was going to mention The Birds, but then couldn't remember if I'd made that part up.

Incidentally, a ~10 mile trip inland takes you to the town of Bodega (sans Bay), where some of infamous buildings from The Birds' still stand. It's definitely worth watching the movie before you head that way.

Haven't tried Luccas, but will check it out next time I'm out there.

amanda

Googlista

• 3 weeks later...

Report:

Luccas fish and chips was OK at best. The fish inside the batter seemed like old frozzen Cod or Snapper that would be ineddible without the batter around it.

Sandpipper F & C's were much, much better with fresh rock Cod and yummie sides. Good chowder too. Only slightly more money than the deli at Luccas and had table service.

We passed on the Tides restaurant due to high prices. They did have the best fish market out of the 3 we went to ( Crab Pot selection was weak and overpriced). All good and fresh and priced right

Could not get in at Rivers End without a long wait so we passed on that too, although it looked and smelled great. Nextime we will wait.

Hog Island was sold out all weekend. How sad! No oysters anywhere for the most part.

Point Reyes, Tom. Bay Foods was closed Monday and Tuesday (ughhh) when we were there so no cheese. We did have excellent breakfasts at Pine Cone Diner as we have had a few times since first visit 15 years or so ago. All local meats and eggs etc.

Palace Market makes great sandwiches but more importantly they have the best pies. Really the best ( wild black?) berry pie I have had in years. Taste like the great pies of late sumer sold by church bake sales.

Freestone bakery! Too, too many things to mention. Just get one of each to go. The sticky bun is more sticky than bun and the scones are perfect. The fougasse bread was great but filling.

The trip to Gualalla( sp) St. Ores was called off due to the road conditions. All those curves for 50 miles at 30 mph at best seemed too far to return from after 5 courses and 3 bottles. We will go another day and stay closer hopefully.

Thanks all,

D

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Thanks for the report on your trip.

Sorry that some of the places were closed. I had the same thing happen to me during my visit to Philly last week--heard for a long time of this incredible Italian gelato place that my friend goes to--but it was closed thru Jan 5 and so we couldn't go!

Thanks for describing all the places you tried. Quite a few are new to me and I'll definately try some of them out soon.