• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grand Marnier Shrimp

dumpling

There's a Chinese restaurant near me that makes a nice grand marnier shrimp that I'd like to try and duplicate. Does anyone have a good recipe for it? This restaurant has a light breading on the shrimp and the sauce is vibrant, not overly creamy and quite tasty.

There's a Chinese restaurant near me that makes a nice grand marnier shrimp that I'd like to try and duplicate. Does anyone have a good recipe for it? This restaurant has a light breading on the shrimp and the sauce is vibrant, not overly creamy and quite tasty.

Jane, what place? Marco Polo?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

No actually Kuma(former Panda Forest). They have a few good things. One is this shrimp.

The one in Paramus on Forest Ave?

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I was kind of underwhelmed by the place when I was last there, maybe 2 years ago.

Besides the Grand Marnier Shrimp, what dishes there are good?

Wasn't this very same dish just named in the NYT article HEREre: "Jewish Christmas" and going to the movies and eating Chinese food at Shun Palace or Shun Lee West? The dish sounds delicious so if someone can weasel a recipe out of their favorite chef in either NJ or the Upper East or West side I'd be happy to see the results posted in the recipe archive. :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Wasn't this very same dish just named in the NYT article HEREre: "Jewish Christmas" and going to the movies and eating Chinese food at Shun Palace or Shun Lee West? The dish sounds delicious so if someone can weasel a recipe out of their favorite chef in either NJ or the Upper East or West side I'd be happy to see the results posted in the recipe archive. :cool:

LOL, I love the last line in that article.

Went back to Kuma for lunch yesterday to see if I could posit out the Grand Marnier shrimp recipe. They must have been having a bad day because it was awful! Barely recognizable as the thing my best friend raves over. Ah, well things never stay the same! I complained and the chef got yelled at. My friend who runs the restaurant told me very generally that the sauce is grand marnier, mayonaise and some sugar, but I don't think that's exactly it. The proportions when I had the lunch yesterday were clearly off and the breading was off too.

Best I can determine is that it's jumbo shrimp in a light crisp tempura batter which complements the sauce. I'll experiment with the sauce to see if I can get the right consistency; I recall it as not having a lot of mayo.