• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finding a good steak in San Antonio

Jeanne Bryan

• 2 years later...

No one here can cook a steak, from all indications. Even otherwise good restaurants, like Liberty Bar, seem to cut their steaks half an inch thick. This makes it impossible to sear the outside and get a rare steak inside.

I've been here about 10 weeks total on business, and have yet to find a steak I really like. That's too bad, 'cause they've got to have good meat available. I remember a business trip to Hondo about 10 years ago, and still have fond memories of the steaks there.

So where can I find a good one?

--- Lee

Seattle

Los:

i have only been an s.a.er (is that what we're called?) for about 3 months. i grew up on the east coast, where of course there are no cattle to be had. i was also a vegetarian when i moved here, so i gawked when i saw all the steaks being served en masse. but - i have found there are quite a few good places to get steak around san antonio, and am no longer a vegetarian:

texas land & cattle:( this is near the airport, sort of... maybe closer to north star mall) after getting into town on a late flight this was one of the most convenient places - normally i wouldn't have sought it out because i have a firmly held belief that the closer a restaurant is to an airport, the worse off it will be. but surprisingly it was great steak - and their frites (in texas they call them 'crispy fries' haha are the best i've had in texas)

ruth's chris: okok, you can go to one of these anywhere and get a pretty good steak i know, but you can tell yourself that the steak will surely be fresher in texas.

saltgrass: (on 281, near 1604) again, i was turned off by the chain-like appearance, but for some reason, restaurants whose outsides are coated with neon seem to know how to cook a good steak.

central market: ok, if you are still upset with these restaurants' incompetence, then the nice people at central market (in alamo heights, i think) will be more than happy to help you choose a steak, wrap it up for you, and send you on your merry way.

Edited by Timo (log)

"Things go better with cake." -Marcel Desaulniers

timoblog!

I've been to the Texas Land & Cattle on the Riverwalk. They do at least cut their steaks thick, but they have this abominable seasoning they insist on throwing on their perfectly good steak. Too salty, too. Maybe the one up at the airport is better -- or, more likely, quality control is poor (this IS a chain, after all).

Ruth's Chris, IMO, is absurdly overpriced.

I have heard good things about Salt Grass, and plan on trying it soon.

--- Lee

Seattle