• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sesame

njduchess

Had dinner here last night. I don't know what I would do without the tips I get here on egullet. My husband and I thought the food was terrific. I had salmon in black bean sauce that was delicious as was everything else we tried. The owner, Alex spent some time with us and he was a very nice man. He is not a restauranteur by trade, it is his wife who was in the Chinese take out business and when this place became available they decided to take a shot at it. We will definitely be back as well as doing take out. There aren't many local choices for good chinese food.

• 1 year later...

I was a bit surprised to find the thread on Sesame so far down the list when I searched, and even more surprised that nobody has posted about it in a year! Is it just that there are more spectacular places to eat in Montclair? I went to Sesame last night and would definitely go back...the food was very tasty, although the service was a bit spotty.

Four of us (one a vegetarian, fwiw) and a toddler walked in to a completely empty restaurant around 6pm and were promptly seated upstairs at the table furthest from the door. The parents commented that they're used to be seated "in the back" regardless of the type/level of restaurant, but I thought that was a bit ridiculous. We ordered a wonton soup for the little one, and the chicken and corn soup for two ('tho it easily fed 3). Both were flavorful and a good start on a cold night. The small order of spareribs contained 5 meaty ribs in an decent sauce, but I found it a bit too sweet for my taste. For entrees, we shared eggplant in garlic sauce, shrimp in salt and chili pepper, chicken chow fun (again, for the kid), and an order of tofu with vegetables. Their eggplant and garlic may be the best I've ever had. Ever. Anywhere. I can't even tell you why exactly, but we all agreed that it was superb. The shrimp were also terrific, but there were only 7 in the order, which seemed a little skimpy--but 3 of us did share them, so maybe that didn't help the cause. They were lightly fried with just enough salt and pepper, although I could have handled a little more pepper. The tofu dish had a ton of tofu--actually too much--and could have used more vegetables, but those that were on the plate were perfectly cooked.

As I said, the service was eh, but I'll certainly go back and try some of the other (more creative) dishes. Some of them were a tad expensive for a Chinese place (i.e. $28 for a few of the special entrees), but someone in the kitchen is doing something right!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Curlz, I mentioned Sesame on my list as my favorite places of 2004. I love it!

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

• 1 month later...

Decided to check out this place last night. I'd seen it a few times, and we were in the mood for Asian food last night.

Dinner for two:

2 wonton soups

Shrimp with Spicy Salt and Chili Pepper

Pork Chop with Peking Sauce

The wonton soup was decent enough with a chicken style broth and tasty wontons. Not too doughy.

The Shrimp was the highlight dish of our meal. Not really spicy at all like I was expecting. When you see a dish marked as hot and spicy and it even says spicy in the title, you expect a little kick. I'd describe this dish more as a salt and pepper shrimp with a twist of lemon and lime. Very tasty, but not what I was expecting.

The Pork Chops were tasty and well cooked. A little too sweet for me. Very meaty, with very little bone. While very good, I've had a far, far better version of this dish at Phoenix Garden (PG) in NYC. Being that PG's version was far and away superior, it's tough for me to give a more positive review of this dish. It was very good, but potentially so much better.

The servers were friendly, prompt and attentive. The meal, with tip was just shy of $50.

I may or may not go back. If I do return, I think it would be with a larger group than 2 so I could try more dishes and give the restaurant a better chance. While I wouldn't avoid this place, I don't think that there was too much to distinguish it from any other standard Chinese restaurant in the area.

Come to think of it, does anybody have some Chinese restaurant suggestions in the Montclair/West Orange area? Almost went to Hunan Cottage last night for the first time, but didn't feel like driving over to Fairfield.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

you must: go to Hunan Cottage in Fairfield, ask for the Chinese menu, order Shanghai Wonton Soup, small Shrimp with Pea Leaves, Chicken with Yellow Leek or other authentic items and report your findings back to us.  I think that this place is in a league of two, with China 46.

What about Hunan Taste in Denville? I've been there and it was very good. Does this restaurant not rank right up there?

Keep in mind I've been to China 46, but not Hunan Cottage, so I can vouch for the former, but not the latter.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Ditto on China 46 and Hunan Cottage! Chinese menus in both of course.

C46 has just so many good dishes that I can't name them all, but their Pepper and Salt Shrimp in Shell, Double Cooked Pork, Shanghai Noodles, and House Special Saute come immediately to mind. Almost forgot their leek dish listed on the blackboard as you go in. AND Lamb with Scallions. I wish those blackboard menus were listed on a sheet of paper. I never have time to realy read it when we go there

At Hunan Cottage, any of their Black Pepper dishes are good as well as Wu Xi Ribs(Stewed Pork Ribs with Brown Sauce) and Chinese Ham with Honey Sauce. Also - Pork and Pickled Cabbage Soup. I forgot -- Lions Head Meatballs. So good! All on their Chinese Menu.

In West Orange itself, there is Joy Luck Pavilion on Northfield Avenue -- across from the Arena. They also have their own Chinese menu. I've had Sizzling Oyster; or Shrimp & Scallops in Black Pepper Sauce; Beef and Water Spinach with BBQ Sauce; Grouper Cubes & Bean Thread in Casserole were all good. I also tried their Bacon and Raisin Fried Rice just to see what it was and it was Fried Rice with Bacon and Raisins!

If the Chinese menu isn't given to you, just ask for it.

• 3 months later...

Returned to Sesame last night for the first time since my first time.

The meal as a whole was pretty good, with one dish particularly tasty. I had a poached duck breast with 5 spices. When I ordered it, the owner was a bit wary. At first we were going to order a Peking Duck, but decided it would be too much food. The owner warned me that the poached duck would not have the same crispy skin as the Peking Duck--something I already knew. I mean, how could you get a crispy skin by poaching and not frying the duck? I digress

The duck--on the specials menu--was exceptional, served with a delicate soy based sauce. If you like that kind of dish, give it a shot!

As a side note, the owner was explaining to me that this particular duck dish was something that the staff would eat for lunch and/or dinner back in the kitchen. They didn't have it on their menu, b/c they felt it would not find an audience with the American clientelle. He said it was "authentic Chinese," and he was worried that nobody would order it. However, they ate it in the kitchen so often, and they enjoyed it so much that he figured he'd give it a shot and put it on the menu.

I loved it! My wife, not so much... It reminded me of a similar dish I'd had at Hunan Cottage.

Edited by hitmanoo (log)

Now I want to go to Sesame's just for that duck dish!!!!

There was a place I went to several times, and one time, the staff was eating together in the dining room. I asked if they would ever serve the public what they ate, as I would be interested. The manager said -- sure!. But they closed down before I had a chance to go back. Darn!

• 6 months later...

Had occasion to go back to Sesame the other night (w/ kids); not the first time I'd been there...

Old Review

Was pretty sublime. Soothing atmosphere, soft jazz in the background and attentive service sat us quickly and provided a seamless transition to eats. We shared a corn & chicken soup, scallion pancakes & spring rolls - all fresh, delicate and left us looking forward to the entrees. Interestingly, the tea is served in a most wonderful double hulled cup (maybe a little strong) - beautiful clayware. We shared Peking Shredded Pork (pork & cabbage), salt baked prawns w/ chili's and brown rice.

All very good, maybe not Chinatown/C46 authentic - but somehow the sophisticated atmosphere, subdued decor, Montclair environs and quick trip home forgives.

~waves

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

Returned to Sesame last night for the first time since my first time.

The meal as a whole was pretty good, with one dish particularly tasty.  I had a poached duck breast with 5 spices.  When I ordered it, the owner was a bit wary.  At first we were going to order a Peking Duck, but decided it would be too much food.  The owner warned me that the poached duck would not have the same crispy skin as the Peking Duck--something I already knew.  I mean, how could you get a crispy skin by poaching and not frying the duck?  I digress

The duck--on the specials menu--was exceptional, served with a delicate soy based sauce.  If you like that kind of dish, give it a shot!

As a side note, the owner was explaining to me that this particular duck dish was something that the staff would eat for lunch and/or dinner back in the kitchen.  They didn't have it on their menu, b/c they felt it would not find an audience with the American clientelle.  He said it was "authentic Chinese," and he was worried that nobody would order it.  However, they ate it in the kitchen so often, and they enjoyed it so much that he figured he'd give it a shot and put it on the menu.

I loved it!  My wife, not so much...  It reminded me of a similar dish I'd had at Hunan Cottage.

I've dined at Ollie's Noodle Shop in NYC and Roasted Duck is on the menu. It, too is roasted witha light soy sauce & five spice . YUM

Last night, as part of the traditional Jewish Christmas festivities, my brother picked up dinner from Sesame while I cooked the latkes. :laugh:

We had:

Beef chow fun and Chicken and Broccoli (for the kids)

Shanghai Amy (a mix of sauteed string beans, baby bok choy and pea pods)

Spicy Tofu Szechuan Style

Moo Shu Vegetable

1/2 Roast duck

Eggplant and Garlic Sauce

BBQ Spareribs

Jumbo Shrimp with Spicy Salt and Chili Pepper

There was also soup...hot and sour, maybe...didn't have it/never saw it

Needless to say, we ate very well! My folks are very selective about their Asian food, gave it high marks as well. The standouts were the ribs (we were all commenting on the spices as well as the meat vs. fat ratio), the eggplant and the duck, but everything was delicious. My bad for not thinking about the fact that the shrimp wouldn't 'travel' well (due to steam), but even those were still yummy.

I agree that Sesame is a little pricy for what they're serving, but in the end, well worth it.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 1 year later...
has any one eaten here recently?

i am planning to go tomorrow-saturday

we had a good meal here-

i had 5 spices chicken

son had general tso's chicken

girlfriend had vegetable dish

son and i had wonton soup, eggrolls

girlfriend had eggdrop soup

i brought my own jasmine oolong - it was served in a lovely teapot

service was good and friendly