• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas Tamale Trail

theabroma

Well, if I put beans in chili, I sure wouldn't be talking about it! Now that is degenerate. :shock:

See what I mean! Some things just ain't right. It's nice to have a little back-up.

Those okra tamales don't sound half bad however.... :smile:

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

ANY tamale eaten in Texas would work for me. Lacking that, I make some and I've got somes amigas on the side that I met in the hospital that i'm ordering from(after quizing on the ingredients because I wanted rocket fuel replacement caliber). :smile:

You all have me drooling. I'm dyin' for some good tamales here in the NYC suburbs. Does anyone know if any Texas tamaleries mail order?

My sister's mother-in-law brought tamales from the Dallas Tortilla Factory in a cooler on her lap on the plane for my rehearsal dinner, and my sister has brought them up a few times for Christmas, but neither will be spending the holidays with us this year! There are a few places around here that make tamales, but not very well. Wish I had time to make them myself.

PS -- the 'how to eat while driving' post was hilarious.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Hello out there the rest of the state!!!!! Surely there are tamales in San Antonio? I've got to have something to eat to deal with tamal withdrawal on my way home. They won't let me bring them across the border.

Yeah, and it'd be hard to disguise that smell. That's a whole 'nother hilarious post to write -- someone trying to smuggle in tamales.

I'm sure there are wonderful tamales to be had in San Antonio and, for that matter, all along your route, but I don't know where they are.

I do know that if you take 281 north out of San Antonio heading toward Marble Falls, you will come to Highway 71 which takes you east into Austin and, therefore, past Rosie's Tamale House, which will be on the right-hand side of the highway as you approach the intersection with 620. They're pretty darn good.

And that drive along 281 is much more pleasant and scenic than I35, which I hate. There is always some sort of construction, and if there's a wreck, which there often is, you can sit for hours. On 281, you'll pass through Blanco and Johnson City, two charming small Texas towns, which will be all dressed up for the holidays. A short jaunt to the west off of 281 is Fredericksburg, and the Hilltop Cafe and the Rather Sweet Bakery.

And then you turn east on 71, which rolls and curls along the hills next to the lake, and eventually comes to Rosie's -- on the right will be the small tamale stand where she got her start, and on the left will be the large Mexican restaurant that her success at the small stand made possible.

Yep.

281 to 71 to Rosie's. That's what I'd do. Hell, let me know when you're coming and if I'm in Austin, I'll meet you there. Is it the 17th?? :rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I ordered 8 dozen mixed from the Dallas Tortilla Factory to arrive on my doorstep tomorrow afternoon. One jug of green and one jug of red hot sauce, plus some tortillas to boot. It will be a joyous holiday in Nyack this year.

Too bad the Mexican woman who sells them door-to-door to my grandmother in Victoria doesn't have such a sophisticated mail-order system.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Too bad the Mexican woman who sells them door-to-door to my grandmother in Victoria doesn't have such a sophisticated mail-order system.

Si. Que lastima, Pobrecita. :sad:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Hello out there the rest of the state!!!!!  Surely there are tamales in San Antonio?  I've got to have something to eat to deal with tamal withdrawal on my way home.  They won't let me bring them across the border.

I'm sure there are wonderful tamales to be had in San Antonio and, for that matter, all along your route, but I don't know where they are.

Ruben's Tamales are supposedly the best here:

Ruben's Homemade Tamales 

1807 Rigsby Ave

San Antonio, TX 78210-3323

Phone: (210) 333-9529

The lines get long around Christmas, and they tend to run out very early. The rest of the year, they're a lot more available.

bob